Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

researching my options

I am researching the lap band system, I have a BMI of 39 with other health issues. I am a RN and know all of the bad things that can happen with any surgical procedure but I want a better life! I want to live life and not watch others living life. Please tell me I am not crazy for considering this surgery. My family thinks I am NUTS except for my hubby who just wants me to be happy. Any advice and if you know of any good surgeons in Kansas that do the Lap band procedure please let me know. Thanks,:( Motherkittie

Welcome Motherkitty! I don't think yoy are crazy at all. I was tired of being miserable and I wanted to live life and be happy again. It's one of the best decisions I've ever made. So, I say go for it. Good luck and take care.

I too am researching the lap band option. BMI of 39 with health issues. Have been very excited about this option as I have been so heavy for way too many years. Am attending a seminar tomorrow morning and suddenly feel a bit scared. Keep thinking I "should" be able to do this myself. I can lose weight - just can't keep it off! My biggest fear is how to get through the period of food "loss". Since food is always there - good time, bad time, bored times, stressful times. This forum seems to be a good method of getting help. Sure hope so since I am going to the seminar tomorrow, scared or not. :omg:

I am just getting started with this whole process, but made the decision to have the lap band due to the same reason you are discribing. My BMI is 39 and I have sever sleep apnea along with the other health issue's that go with being over weight. I researched:ranger: this procedure for over a year before I made up my mind that it was what I wanted to help me keep the weight off once and for all. This web site is great and you'll get all the answers to any questions you may have and lots of support :nervous

It is good to hear that others are having the same thoughts as me! I have found in my research that the surgery is much much cheaper in Mexico! I am from the midwest so I think I will stick to my roots and have it done in my state. Curious if any of you have had it done in Mexico and how you are doing. Two more weeks until my consultation appointment and I can't wait.:)

When I started doubting myself about whether I wanted the band bad enough something happened. Someone had a post saying all the things she planned on doing in her life after the band. I cried through part of it and laughed for the other part of it. I went back and couldn't find the exact post.If you go to search,advanced search,search post for amusement parks, you will find so many reasons why you want to have it done.

Most of mine related to how much I have already missed with my kids while being fat. I plan on making it up with my grand kids someday. .

Good luck!! :clap2::clap2:

I don't know any good surgeons in Kansas-sorry! I doubt that many people on this forum will call you crazy for considering this surgery. We are all pretty happy with the procedure! Of course, there are complications(I myself had to have a slip surgically repaired), but I wouldn't change my decision! Best of luck to you in your search for a surgeon. I went to Mexico and Dr. Ortiz was my surgeon. It is cheaper in Mexico, but you also need to consider follow-up care, etc. Read through the threads here, ask questions and you will make the best decision for YOU.

I did take the plunge and went for the seminar. I was so impressed that I stayed for the mandatory psycological seminar! Got all paperwork and made appointment with Dr. for next week. Hopefully insurance will approve since mine does cover it.

Still a little concerned about the lap band and it's effectiveness. They seemed to be more into doing the Gastric Bypass, touting that it was more effective but also warning it was more risky. That scares me even more than the band. It is a lot of information to digest (pardon the pun) in one sitting, but I did feel that they answered most of my questions. Glad I did not back out.............it was touch and go up to the time I walked through the Hospital doors. Bottom line seems to be and common sense says that the band is only step one.........the rest is up to me. All in all, very positive experience.

I will wait to talk to Dr. next Monday, but I just feel more comfortable with the lap band alternative. :omg:

Motherkittie, I also am an RN, and also felt I "should" be able to do this myself......but I finally realized that I can't. Since I can't do anything about it, I changed the way I think about it. Now, I feel positive and want to go into the surgery with good thoughts and not negative ones. I have never had surgery before, but I have seen many and know what to expect. The posts here help me know what to expect later! My BMI is 34, and I am 55 yrs old. Since 50 is the new 30, I know I will enjoy a new slimmer me when I turn 40 again!! :bandit