Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What does support look like?

Hi, my name is Kim and I'm new to this site. I've been doing pre-op testing since June and just got my surgery date-December 19th. So, in the beginning when I told my family and friends that I was doing this everyone was very supportive, my mom, neice and best friend all said that they would be there for whatever. Now that I have my date and it's so close to the holiday my neice and friend will be out of town beginning on the 21st, leaving just my mom. Don't get me wrong, I don't blame them and I totally get that it's the holidays and they've made committments.

I for sure have lots of other friends that will help out but I'm wondering what kind of support I will really need. Will someone need to spend the night and if so for how many nights (I know my first night will be in the hospital :rolleyes:).

Thanks for the information, this site has really been my saving grace.:kiss2:

Hi Kimber. I was fortunate to have my husband for a whole week. We planned it around his vacation. If you're spending one night in the hospital, you will probably be okay the next night. That being said, everyone is different and has different experiences. It might be a good idea to have someone on stand-by in case you do need someone. I wish you good luck with your surgery and take care.

Let's see... hubby took of my surgery day, but went back to work the next day (my request). I really needed him that first day - mainly for the ride home. Everything else he did we could have done beforehand, but didn't. E.g. he moved a recliner up from his home theater room to the great room, set up a little table with the phone, remotes, laptop, etc. He even brought his dorm fridge up from the garage and put it ont he fireplace hearth so that I could get Protein drinks & Water without needing to move.

So - yeah, I really just needed someone the first day.

I didn't stay the night in the hospital, I headed home as soon as I could get them to release me, about 3 - 4 hrs after my procedure began.

For me, it really wasn't that bad. Getting up & sitting down hurt, walking hurt until I realized that supporting my pannus relieved most of that... sneezing/coughing/etc. hurt. But it was all bearable, and no where near bad enough to make it so that I couldn't do things for myself (what few things were left to do after DH prepped the area for me).

Kim,

I understand the feeling of abandonment but I promise it does get better! Sometimes it's worse with everyone hovering anyways lol When I had my surgery in July I did stay overnight in the hospital, so I was lucky enough to be woken up every couple of hours to be given pain meds, have blood drawn, etc. I would say the first night is the hardest, so I'm thankful that I was in the hospital for it. As long as you get up and walk, walk, walk you will be fine even by yourself afterwords. I also had my mom with me when I left the hospital. You honestly won't need her all that much but it's nice to have someone there to give you your pain meds or ice chips.

Good Luck!!