Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

banding over Thanksgiving week

Hi everyone: I am very excited about my upcoming banding next week with Dr. Jose Rodriquez. I have been battling my weight since childhood and am graduating from college and preparing for med school next year so I need to get a grip on my weight. I picked Dr. Rodriquez after researching on various groups and actually going to meet him. He has been working in Acuna Mexico but is now moving to the brand new Hospital Angeles in Juarez. Fortunately for me I have lot's of family in El Paso and time off from school to recover. I am excited and nervous but think banding for me is a better option. I like the idea of the band being reversible since I am young and who knows what may happen in medicine in my lifetime. This seems like the best option for me.

Sharon from Belite has been very helpful. She also help my aunt with her surgery a few month ago in Hospital Angeles Tijuana. My aunt has lost 35 lbs since August. I don't want to bug her all the time so I hope to get some support over here. This is my 21st birthday present from my parents...I guess you can tell I am excited. Thanks for listening. I'll be happy for any encouragement I can get. I'll let you know how things go!

Annie

soon to be banded 11/19/07

Go to Monthly Lap-Band support groups and join the November 07 group. It is great to here those already banded discuss their journey and for those of us not yet banded to discuss our feelings ask questions.

Congrats on your decision.

Awesome way to spend a vacation! I too am in school ( Texas State) and had my surgery in the middle of the week during school. I had it on a wed, and i had a test I couldnt get out of on Friday..I remember however that the teacher did take pity on my grading a lil bit...I had one of those pouch things that delievers pain meds to the incision site. It was the size of a fist and had an IV line straight to my tummy. Of course, I did wear it outside my shirt to get the pity...:rolleyes:

Well this is one way to make sure you wont over eat this thanksgiving

Tifferoni!!!

I'm getting banded next week on the 19th and my son goes to Texas State!!! He lives in Butler Hall. I am also an alumni of Texas State.... Although it was Southwest Texas State when I went to school there. What are you studying? How do you like it? I would LOVE to correspond with you and be an alumni support cheerleader for your journey. I hope to hear from you.

I also went to Southwest Texas State but only for a year. I was there in 1986. I love San Marcos, it is beautiful.

I graduated from SWTSU in 1981. Oldie but a goodie!!! I loved San Marcos too. I even went to graduate school for a year. I didn't want to leave, then I got married and didn't finish. Big mistake. It is wonderful to get to visit when I see my son. He's having a good time too. His older brother is so jealous....

Wow! there are lots of Bobcats out there!!

I too am looking into getting banded by Dr Rodriguez. I keep hearing (reading) these great comments about him and his staff. I haven't really heard any complaints.

Annie: I am so happy for you.

Aubrey: Who are you getting banded by?

I have been doing a lot of research, but haven't made any final decisions.

Please let me know how you are doing and how that new facility is. K?

Hey I graduated from TSU in 2002. (Tarleton State University) that is.

He He.

Anyway, congrats on your band coming up next week. I am getting banded on Nov. 28th by Dr. Sims in Waco, TX.

I cant wait till we are all posting up our success pictures!

reply to cagstorm: wow...another cowboy fan...i live in big d.

how about tony and t.o. in sunday's games against the redskins. we are definitely super bowl bound this year.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• Liz R

Trying to update my ticker - I'm down 100 pounds!! 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • alisasings

I joined BariatricPal in 2008 & I FINALLY made the descision to have WLS!! I'm so excited & not sure what I need to do to get the ball rolling, but I made an appointment with my PCP for 7/19. It's a start I guess.
      · 0 replies
    • Elnaz

Losing weight is my dream
      · 0 replies
    • OhMyGawdItzKla

I joined yesterday when I was struggling with this preop diet... 
      It typically comes and goes, the hard times and easier times. I'm on day 6 of 14  shakes, water, sf Popsicles and jello. And I might actually be losing my mind. But, oh dear lord has the fear set in. Not about the surgery itself, but life afterwards. If I feel this crappy on the preop diet, am I going to feel like this forever after? 
      I know most of the answers are no, not forever. It might be worse after for a while, then get better. I know it's a more of a mental challenge than physical after the first couple weeks of healing. I get all of that. But I'm starting to feel scared about losing myself afterwards. 
      It might be my hormones or desire to chew something salty talking.. It may go away soon or tomorrow.. I can hope, anyway. But right now.. The fear is real. 

And this liquid diet can bite me. 
      · 2 replies
      1. NickelChip

Fear is normal, but if it makes you feel any better, I'm 4.5 months post-op and the pre-op diet was by far the hardest part of the whole process. There will be challenges and a lot of new things to learn, but I can honestly say at this point I feel so much more "back to normal" and was even able to go on a week-long vacation with my kids without stressing over it. It's so worthwhile.

2. OhMyGawdItzKla

@NickelChip This actually does make me feel better! Thank you so much! After the onslaught of Covid, we've all had to deal with a "new normal", so I know it's possible. It's just the fear and frustration in this moment that makes me question if I can find another "new normal" afterwards. The thought of just a few more months seems daunting some times, but I really do appreciate input and real experience. I'll use that to get me through for a few more hours! LOL. Thank you so much! And I'm glad everything is going so well for you! ❤️

• mamabear30106

I started my 10 day pre op diet yesterday I need flavor!! I'm not big on the chocolate protein shakes so I just got to use up what I have was thinking about freezing it to make it like a ice cream so its something I can chew a little. Idk this is hard but I know I can do it just need to find new things to try 
      · 1 reply
      1. JennyBeez

You can try. I've read other people have had good results with protein-shake popsicles, etc. My personal experience with it? Sucked.

I tried making 'fudgesicles' with a couple different flavors of a premade shake, as well as a protein powder I blended myself and all of them came out revolting? The powder ones, all the protein sunk to the middle; the premade shakes, the popsicle had a disgusting texture and the protein seemed to leave a weird fluffy film on the outside? I couldn't stomach it.

Maybe look into flavoring additives? I was able to have sugar-free coffee /soda syrup flavorings, sugar-free drink flavorings and baking additives like almond, rum or pepperment extract. The extracts helped me the most as they added no extra sweetener.

On the other hand, if you can get your hands on an unflavored/unsweetened protein powder, the syrup flavorings are perfect. I love to use Boost "Just Protein" (which is unflavored) with milk and a Chai-flavored sugarfree syrup.

Good luck!

• Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches