Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

World has gone to PC

Derick chose to tell the joke here, not on the John Birch Society Website. I believe that he was operating on the assumption that the Rant & Ravists would be comfortable enough to accept this joke and to be able to see that though it was goofing on stereotypes - indeed the humour of this joke lies in that it takes these stereotypes to an absurd extreme. The joke itself funny because it dealt the notion of an Islamic vehicle which was laden with an array of over the top western stereotypes of Islam.

This was a joke which was also designed to poke fun at us and at our ignornance of Islam along with making a joke or a comment, a fairly gentle one, about Islamic beliefs and behaviour as these are viewed through our western eyes.

Perhaps it would be interesting to hear some Islamic jokes about Xtians and of the Westerners. We might learn a great deal, eh.

You know, I've heard many funny Christian jokes, but never coming from an Islamic....it would be great to hear some, I bet they have really good material! ;)and they can probably make the joke sound funnier than anybody else could!:biggrin1:

It's interesting to look at the fine line between humor and poor taste. I think we often admire humor for the truth and wit, unexpectedness, etc. in it. After all, a good sense of humor is one of the best indicators of intelligence. And while "good" sense of humor is extraordinarly arbitrary, there are some things that we can find almost universally funny.

The psychology of humor is an amazing study.

Here's a joke I was once told: Did you hear they're building a new skyscraper hospital in Dallas for AIDS patients? They're calling it "Sick Fags over Texas."

I'm not sick (well, not physically anyway) and I'm not homosexual, but that's just not funny to me. It's miserable. I don't know a single homosexual it was funny to, or many straights.

Here's another joke I was once told: Do you know how copper wire was invented? Two jews were fighting over a penny.

I'm not jewish, but I thought it was a cute joke. I also know people who are jewish, and do think it's funny.

So what makes one joke funny, but not the other? What factors drive humor and acceptance?

I think South Park is one of the most brilliant shows around. It has some of the smartest writing I've ever seen. My parents, too, find it funny - so it isn't just an age thing. But I know people who think it's a disgusting show - they won't even watch it. But if they did watch it, do you think they'd laugh at anything? (honest question).

Humor in the Internet Encyclopedia of Philosophy

The role and nature of humor

LOVE, LOVE South Park!!!!!!!!!!!:)

Isn't there a thread on this board making fun of newbie banders? That's not really so funny to me...but I've only skimmed it, and then I moved on. I'm a newbie and you're making fun of me. A lot of members post daily on how stupid people like me are....Would that be accepted in normal conversation if you met me face to face?

I think people need to lighten up and not take things as insults. If we learned to laugh more at ourselves, the world would be much better. You can tell people not to hurt other people, but you can't make them think something isn't funny when they feel it is.

I laugh when people fall down. I try hard not to because I don't want to laugh if they are really hurt...but it's a reflex and it's hard not to laugh. My high school bf HATED that about me. I also laugh at America's Funniest Video, I LOVE the Darwin awards because stupid people make my day.

Laughing AT other people is the base of all good jokes. Think about that the next time your receive a "joke" email. Someone is being made fun of, whether it's religion or race or whatever.

A joke told on Rants and Raves shouldn't be taken seriously. If you don't like it, then you can move on. It's not as if you're in a professional environment, or some other forum where many jokes of any kind would be inappropriate. It's a recreation forum, with a combination of different people. Not everyone is going to be happy with comments or jokes made. Just like not everyone understoon Sam Kinison, or gets Carlos Mencia. People like that cross the line and make society think about what should be taken seriously or not.

I tend to laugh when people fall too....:omg: , if it's an older person, I won't laugh either, that is my rule...:) then again, I laugh even harder when *I* fall! sometimes I can't get up because I'm hysterically laughing....

Now, if the person is actually hurt, I'll be the first one running to help and of course I won't laugh any further, (common sense)but in most cases falling in our butts could be pretty darn funny....isn't it?:faint:

I never laugh when people fall for the same reason that I can't stand Mr. Bean. I have never found physical humour funny. On the other hand, I adore verbal humour and found Mr. Bean in his other persona, Blackadder, to be an absolutely brilliant comedian. It really is different strokes for different folks, isn't it? :)

And, yah, South Park is brilliant. I love the show. The creators have really caught the Canadian soul. LOL

Well this story proves to me that you ARE indeed a good guy and you just happen to have a strong sense of humor and that you can say things in a very humorous way, sometimes in a sarcastic humorours way....,I personally LOVE funny sarcasm!wink.gif.. I'm guilty of laughing while reading many of your threads before, and I never doubted that this particular thread was meant as a joke and not to offend anybody, after reading this story, it reassures how I already felt....clap2.gif

Well Derrick this story proves to me that you ARE indeed a good guy and you just happen to have a strong sense of humor and that you can say things in a very humorous way, sometimes in a sarcastic humorours way....,I personally LOVE funny sarcasm!wink.gif.. I'm guilty of laughing while reading many of your threads before, and I never doubted that this particular thread was meant as a joke and not to offend anybody, after reading this story, it reassures how I already felt....clap2.gif

Speaking of religious jokes, I have one.....

There was a very bad Jew who spent his life doing truly lousy things. He married many times, cheated on all his wives, and after he was divorced, he never paid any child support. He cheated his business partners, too, and hid all his money in off-shore accounts.

The last thing that the bad Jew saw while he was getting a BJ when driving his car one day - and breaking the speed limit of course! - was a tractor-trailor headed straight for him....

Well, he wakes up and is shocked to find himself in a wonderful, a magical place. He is surrounded by peace and beauty. And good food and drink, and attractive people. Why, he thinks, this a million times better than Club Med! And so he finally asks the question which has been bothering him.

"Where am I?"

"You're in Hell," is the answer.

He is finds this news very weird but he continues to enjoy himself until one day he notices a mountain in the distance and decides to investigate. When he gets to the summit he discovers that this mountain is a volcano and when he looks in he sees scenes of unbelievable horror. He sees fire and naked humans being tormented by horned creatures. He hears their screams of agony, and terrified, he runs down the mountain and back to where he came from. Here he finds someone and stammers out his tale.

"What was that?" he wants to know.

"Oh! That's Hell for the Christians. They seem to prefer it that way."

Shut up!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif that was too funny!

That's why I'm such a good girl that is not going to hell...angel.gif at least not to the Christian one....hehehe...

I have one for you......

A pastor and a taxi driver die at the same time and they both go to heaven, when they get there the preacher goes in and he gets a white robe and a shack....and the taxi driver gets an olympic size pool and a beautiful mansion. One day the Pastor asked St. Peter why he had a shack and this taxi driver got all the good things? Then St. Peter said:

Well, When you preached you put people to sleep. When he drove, everyone Prayed.....wink.gif

"Oh! That's Hell for the Christians. They seem to prefer it that way."

Is it too late to convert???

;) well if you convert now, it doesn't count because you have an ulterior motive.....:)

Shut up!!!!!!!! LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!grin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gifgrin.gif that was too funny!

That's why I'm such a good girl that is not going to hell...angel.gif at least not to the Christian one....hehehe...

I have one for you......

A pastor and a taxi driver die at the same time and they both go to heaven, when they get there the preacher goes in and he gets a white robe and a shack....and the taxi driver gets an olympic size pool and a beautiful mansion. One day the Pastor asked St. Peter why he had a shack and this taxi driver got all the good things? Then St. Peter said:

Well, When you preached you put people to sleep. When he drove, everyone Prayed.....wink.gif

:faint::heh: Then my father is definitely in Heaven. :heh:

:) well if you convert now, it doesn't count because you have an ulterior motive.....:P

Oh well, I guess I will just have to burn in purgatory for a while, get a good suntan and move on over the the never ending vacation at the beach.:angel:

Oh well, I guess I will just have to burn in purgatory for a while, get a good suntan and move on over the the never ending vacation at the beach.:angel:

well, I guess that will be our destiny..... I enjoy a nice tan though.....I hope I'm skinny by then so at least I can wear a thong....:P