Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

World has gone to PC

Derick chose to tell the joke here, not on the John Birch Society Website. I believe that he was operating on the assumption that the Rant & Ravists would be comfortable enough to accept this joke and to be able to see that though it was goofing on stereotypes - indeed the humour of this joke lies in that it takes these stereotypes to an absurd extreme. The joke itself funny because it dealt the notion of an Islamic vehicle which was laden with an array of over the top western stereotypes of Islam.

This was a joke which was also designed to poke fun at us and at our ignornance of Islam along with making a joke or a comment, a fairly gentle one, about Islamic beliefs and behaviour as these are viewed through our western eyes.

Perhaps it would be interesting to hear some Islamic jokes about Xtians and of the Westerners. We might learn a great deal, eh.

We'll just have to agree to disagree, I think. The timing of it, to me, was everything. For example, I don't know if there would have been such an uproar over it if he had posted it at a time when the Iraq thread wasn't active. I mean, I would have still found it distasteful, but it wouldn't have been nearly as offended by it. But to me, the timing of it being posted says that while he may have genuinely found it amusing, he also found the perfect time to post it and get people revved up. When I see stuff like that posted, I'll usually ignore it completely, because I honestly don't think it's worth responding to and bringing more attention to it. The only exception to that is when I believe that a major motivation behind it being posted is to piss people off.

I would like to know what it is ok to joke about. I find the idea of a car made for Islam or any religion absurd. How about cars for Catholics with a confessional instead of a trunk. That way when you have illicit sex in the back seat you can immediatly be absolved of a mortal sin!!!! Come on, lets get over ourselves. All is fair game with humor. Yes a line can be crossed but it rarely happens in a country famed for free speech, freedom of religion and other freedoms that other countries only dream about. Why is it that millions all over the world want to come here to live. It's about freedom. Of which freedom of expression is cherished. What committee do we have to get approval from before cracking a joke? Yes I imagin a joke like the one in question could get you stoned in some countries. Well not here, and that is the way I like it. Try suppressing free thought and see what happens. Why don't we start burning books too......

Sorry Wassa, you know I like you much! but in my opinion it is fair....ponder.gif

That's the way I processed her comment in my mind.... I'm not saying that I'm 100% right... but that's the way it came across for me...just my opinion...

Why don't you find it fair? maybe if I hear the reason behind it can process it differently...

Because it was a huge exaggeration to what Jacqui was trying to convey. It just wasn't fair or accurate.

I just find it amusing that a few days ago two people on this thread wanted people to come to their defense when someone was having their jokes on them and now want to slam someone else for making one. Seems like Derik isn't the one trying to start the trouble to me but that's just MHO.

Done.</p> <p> </p> <p>I'm off. Lets leave it on this note. You think I'm an uptight bitch who cant laugh at anything. I think youre a bigot with an IQ of 2. </p> <p> </p> <p>What I do agree with - you didnt post the joke. What upsets me - you're the one defending it and insisting its funny.</p> <p> </p> <p>Eddie Murphy is a filthy pig. I cant bear him. He's not funny. Dont know who the others are. </p> <p> </p> <p>We're probably both wrong about each other. We disagree. So lets leave it.

Some people find foul language offensive but that didn't stop you.

I would like to know what it is ok to joke about. I find the idea of a car made for Islam or any religion absurd. How about cars for Catholics with a confessional instead of a trunk. That way when you have illicit sex in the back seat you can immediatly be absolved of a mortal sin!!!! Come on, lets get over ourselves. All is fair game with humor. Yes a line can be crossed but it rarely happens in a country famed for free speech, freedom of religion and other freedoms that other countries only dream about. Why is it that millions all over the world want to come here to live. It's about freedom. Of which freedom of expression is cherished. What committee do we have to get approval from before cracking a joke? Yes I imagin a joke like the one in question could get you stoned in some countries. Well not here, and that is the way I like it. Try suppressing free thought and see what happens. Why don't we start burning books too......

:clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Let me give you a scenario: If some racist prick made a joke about a gang of KKK members lynching a black man, is it somehow less offensive because it's a joke? THAT is my point. If something isn't acceptable in regular conversation, it isn't acceptable in jokes, either, IMO.

Let me give you a scenario: If some racist prick made a joke about a gang of KKK members lynching a black man, is it somehow less offensive because it's a joke? THAT is my point. If something isn't acceptable in regular conversation, it isn't acceptable in jokes, either, IMO.

Depends on what kind of topics are regular conversation and I think that varies based on the audience.

Isn't there a thread on this board making fun of newbie banders? That's not really so funny to me...but I've only skimmed it, and then I moved on. I'm a newbie and you're making fun of me. A lot of members post daily on how stupid people like me are....Would that be accepted in normal conversation if you met me face to face?

I think people need to lighten up and not take things as insults. If we learned to laugh more at ourselves, the world would be much better. You can tell people not to hurt other people, but you can't make them think something isn't funny when they feel it is.

I laugh when people fall down. I try hard not to because I don't want to laugh if they are really hurt...but it's a reflex and it's hard not to laugh. My high school bf HATED that about me. I also laugh at America's Funniest Video, I LOVE the Darwin awards because stupid people make my day.

Laughing AT other people is the base of all good jokes. Think about that the next time your receive a "joke" email. Someone is being made fun of, whether it's religion or race or whatever.

A joke told on Rants and Raves shouldn't be taken seriously. If you don't like it, then you can move on. It's not as if you're in a professional environment, or some other forum where many jokes of any kind would be inappropriate. It's a recreation forum, with a combination of different people. Not everyone is going to be happy with comments or jokes made. Just like not everyone understoon Sam Kinison, or gets Carlos Mencia. People like that cross the line and make society think about what should be taken seriously or not.

Eddie Murphy, Carlos Mencia, Jeff Dunham (many thanks to Chris for letting me know about this guy), Richard Pryor, Dane Cook, Chris Rock, and many more are all geniuses.

Why? becuase they take a 'taboo' subject and bring it to the front of peoples minds in a way that is acceptable by AMERICAN standards. Lets face it, who would you rather listen to?

A professor type that goes on and on about the ravages of racism in modern culture in a monotone? or some guy/gal making you laugh your ass off at a crude joke but at the same time when you get out of the show and you think on it a bit more you realize the guy/gal up on stage had a point!

Ding-ding-ding!! I pick door number 2, Bob!

Either way the message gets across but one way is a hell of alot more fun.

Have any of you ever listened to cops, soldiers (combat veterans), firefighters, paramedics? Many have sick senses of humor, why? becuase humor is often the only way of dealing with the things they see on a daily basis.

I was visiting freinds in a neighborhood and down the street there was a fire, lady who lived there was about 80 years old and had just been widowed after 48 years of marriage. She had a old, old dog that her and her husband had adopted as puppy. She loved that dog with a passion, that dog was her baby and the only real link she had left of her husband. I saw the smoke and ran down there and got her out before the fire got bad, she was in hysterics about dog, I ran back in (not a smart thing to do but hey, what you gonna do?) trying to find the dog and I found it at last I grabbed it and got back outside before I collapsed from smoke inhalation. The firefighters, paramedics and cops show up about the same time. The dog had died, suffocating about 5 feet from the damn door. So there I am, sitting in the back of a ambulance sucking down oxygen. A paramedic and firefighter are sitting there asking me the usual questions and when I mentioned the dog and was upset I could not save the dog in time, the firefighter said "hey! smoked dog tastes a hell of alot better then charbroiled!" I got a little upset with him and he said "Hey, after awhile you have to deal with it somehow...my brothers in Chicago and they call babies who are killed in a fire Tater Tots...you gotta do what you gotta do to deal with the shit man."

(damn, longer than I expected, I kinda zoned out, sorry)

the firefighter said "hey! smoked dog tastes a hell of alot better then charbroiled!" I got a little upset with him and he said "Hey, after awhile you have to deal with it somehow...my brothers in Chicago and they call babies who are killed in a fire Tater Tots...you gotta do what you gotta do to deal with the shit man."

(damn, longer than I expected, I kinda zoned out, sorry)

Aka... dark humor.

There is a reason nurses and police officers get along well and it is because the two professions use dark humor all the time. Quite frankly, there are things I would say to another nurse or a policeman that I would never dream of saying in front of anyone else.

It's not that anyone thinks it's funny... whatever the topic is. It's a coping method. You can either spend your time at work in tears or you can pretend something is funny and laugh. Again, nobody thinks it is funny, everyone knows it isn't. It is a coping method and nothing more. Unless you experience it and make a choice to cry or laugh, you just won't totally get it. Just like a naturally thin person will never understand being fat. Thin people are shocked that we don't just eat less, non policemen/nurses would be shocked at what we joke about.

I'd provide examples but I think it wouldn't be wise. :)

Eddie Murphy, Carlos Mencia, Jeff Dunham (many thanks to Chris for letting me know about this guy), Richard Pryor, Dane Cook, Chris Rock, and many more are all geniuses.

I know you searched Dunham on youtube lol

I KILL YOU !

HAHAHAHA LMAO