Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am miserable!

I had my second fill 5 days ago and went from 2.0 to 2.5 ccs in a 4 cc band. Even with my first fill, from time to time, I would have incredible pain when eating. I spoke to my surgeon about this and he stated it was due to improper chewing, too big of bites, etc. However, since this second fill I am having pain even worse. Sometimes I have this rolling sensation and pain even after just drinking fluids. (Also, he has no protocol about diet after fills) And sometimes, if I push through the pain of the first 3 or 4 bites, then all pain goes away and I can finish eating just fine. I have never pb'd since day one and I have only slimed once since the second fill. I am also experiencing the most embarrasing gurgling/draining noises that are CONSTANT and that I cannot do anything about. And the latest symptom, the reason I am up and not sleeping, is I have awful reflux! I am scared...do you think that I am swollen, too tight, what?!........please help. By the way, the reason I even got the fill was because I had not lost any weight in 3 weeks.

Don't feel bad. I haven't lost weight in 2 months. Plateaus happen.

You sound like you are too tight if you're getting reflux.

I have had bad experiences with fills until we figured out my body can only handle .25 ccs at a time and not the typical .50ccs. I would be misreable. BUT also remember that some is due to sweeling. After a fill I was told to go back on 3 days liquid, progress to mushies ect. It helped me! Good luck, if you have that much pain maybe you need a slight unfill.

I had my second fill 5 days ago and went from 2.0 to 2.5 ccs in a 4 cc band. Even with my first fill, from time to time, I would have incredible pain when eating. I spoke to my surgeon about this and he stated it was due to improper chewing, too big of bites, etc. However, since this second fill I am having pain even worse. Sometimes I have this rolling sensation and pain even after just drinking fluids. (Also, he has no protocol about diet after fills) And sometimes, if I push through the pain of the first 3 or 4 bites, then all pain goes away and I can finish eating just fine. I have never pb'd since day one and I have only slimed once since the second fill. I am also experiencing the most embarrasing gurgling/draining noises that are CONSTANT and that I cannot do anything about. And the latest symptom, the reason I am up and not sleeping, is I have awful reflux! I am scared...do you think that I am swollen, too tight, what?!........please help. By the way, the reason I even got the fill was because I had not lost any weight in 3 weeks.

Reflux is a sign of being too tight. I would be very careful about that. Try and stop eating at 5pm and also add an antacid to your diet.

Well I called my doctor and went in this afternoon for a slight unfill. He removed .6cc and at that time had instant relief! He had me drink Water while he unfilled/refilled me so that I could tell him when I felt the most comfortable restriction. However, this evening, I am again feeling some discomfort when eating solids, so I am thinking that I am inflammed/swollen and should probably go on mushies for a few days? Any feedback?

Tanderson: Glad you are feeling better, but I would do liquids for about three days and then stay soft for a few more before going to regular food. You will have some swelling after a fill and you need to be careful not to stretch the pouch! I am just over two years with my band, and I have been throught it all! Take care and best of luck! Terri

I had similar symptons and it turned out I had a dialated pouch (diagnosed with fluoroscope). I went on soft foods for about a week and the issues went away.

i haven't had a fill yet but was told not to eat anything before i came in to get a fill. Also once you get a fill you are supposed to go back on liquids for a day or so and slowly work your way back to solids.....it doesn't take as long as when you had the surgery but work your way back slowly so that you can adjust. You know have some restriction probably where as before you didn't you and your body have to adjust.

Definitely go on liquids. You are probably irritated inside from being too tight, and now you got an unfill. Anytime they are messing around with fills and unfills, you're supposed to go on liquids for 24 hours. Since you have been dealing with being too tight for 5 days, then an unfill, go on liquids for 24 -48 hours then mushies for another 48 hours so that when you try solids, all the swelling is completely gone.

It amazes me how many doctors don't have post-op and post-fill instructions for their patients. I haven't even met with my surgeon yet and I know from my advocate and the office staff exactly what I'm supposed to do. They've given me all the information verbally and in writing, and they said they'll give it to me every time I come in so that its ingrained in me and each time I look at it, I might have a different question and this will get all my questions answered. I think I know more about the surgery now than a lot of people that have already had it lol :(

Everytime we have a fill, that kind of procedure affects how our stomach reacts and we should allow it a few days of rest before we go back to eating solid food, that's why most doctors recommend from 3 to a week with liquids and mashed food after a fill.

Don't try eating solid food (even if you it very well) after a fill, that will only upset and irritate your stomach more and more.

niki

Muscleband, this is a very old thread, so you may not find the specific answer you were looking for from the person you asked it of.

What types of problems are you having? Perhaps we can offer some advice to help you out.