Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Long and Winding Road?

acalpn- congrats on getting your surgery date! I put you on the surgery date list.

luvsrocks,

All I can say is that I am grateful that the opportunity to do something now is available to me. I'll have to thank my parents for raising me to always have a positive attitude. I am blessed with parents who accept, love, and support me unconditionally. It has made all the difference in my life and I know this journey will be no different.

Holly, nice to be joined by you. Even my Dr. said the same as yours. In good health, besides being fat, and being able to go on diets, but gain it back, I would be an excellent candidate for the Lap Band. She even called my parents, cause my Mom was hesitant about me having the surgery and always talked about the bad sides.

My coworkers are on board, along with my family, but my best friend, who happens to be a guy isn't. He is a big man himself, 6'4" and close to 375. He dates the skinny, small girls. I keep telling him he is afraid to see me lose the weight, cause then, it may be harder on his girlfriends when his best friend is thin. I think they accept me because they know he isn't attracted to people my size. So now, I bust his chops on this, but it does hurt me that he isn't supporting it now. Says he won't visit me after the surgery, or come to the hospital. He and I have been close for over 20 years.

I''ve just scheduled my surgery for January 4th. Holy cow- can't believe it.

I'm new to the forum...I recently moved from the states (Louisiana & Texas) to Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. I'm having the surgery done here by Dr. Fahmi. I have lots more to say, but will have to do that later...must feed my children! I wanted to introduce myself and stop lurking before I logged off.

:hungry:

Hi! fellow January "New Lifers" Both my husband and I are getting banded on Jan. 8th in Monterrey Mexico with Dr. Rumbaut. He has so many co-morbidities, we are looking forward to crossing them off the list, one by one. I have just recently developed medical problems, mine were always physical before, and I just seemed to accept it and deal with the pain. It's a huge expense for us, but we're spending the kids inheritance.

I got the referral from my PCP and finally got my appointment to visit the Surgeons office. I go through the measuring, photo taking, test taking process and find out that my insurance (blue cross hmo) isnt' paying the surgeon the 4,000 for the band so the dr that my insurance referred me to in the first place isnt performing this procedure- HOWEVER he is doing the gastric bypass.

i weigh 242 lbs and I'm about 5 4. should i do the bypass?

I got the referral from my PCP and finally got my appointment to visit the Surgeons office. I go through the measuring, photo taking, test taking process and find out that my insurance (blue cross hmo) isnt' paying the surgeon the 4,000 for the band so the dr that my insurance referred me to in the first place isnt performing this procedure- HOWEVER he is doing the gastric bypass.

i weigh 242 lbs and I'm about 5 4. should i do the bypass?

Are there other surgeons in your area that your insurance does cover. I am also on an blue cross hmo and there are several clinics in our area that do bands. The first surgeon on that I contacted was not on my insurance list so I had to look for another one. Get a copy of your provider directory and look for another surgeon. Where are you located? My provider directory had a list of bariatric surgery centers that they recommend. It is worth looking into. Good luck with whatever decision you make. Just make sure it is right for you before you do anything. :(

hello january bandsters!

good luck to us all!

I am still in the loop process....but hope very much to have surgery by end of january 2008.

yeahh.hhhh

Hi January Bandsters! I haven't posted in awhile. How is everyone holding up? I am out of control. I need to be exercising & at least maintaining if not losing....and I'm eating like there is no tomorrow. I'm stuffed to the miserable stage tonight. Appointment with surgeon tomorrow and I'm sure I've gained since 1st appt 11/9. Breathe! and I need to get with it!

CallMeJim & RedTulips! Thanks for getting the name started for our group. Some great ideas!

January is so close! I'm so excited for us all!

Luvs- you will be fine! Do you have a pre-op diet? Mine starts 12/28. Can't say I'm looking forward to that part of it, but it is getting exciting!

Jim-thanks! I don't have a pre-op, just the day before a light Breakfast then Clear Liquids till 8:00 PM. They want you to lose prior to surgery but if you maintain ok, but absolutely no gaining. I'll be ok. I want this and I will do what I need to do. If I remember right you are 1/9, only 21 days? It will be here before we know it. Is your pre-op all liquids? Best wishes to you on your journey. Carol

Hello! I am being banded January 2nd and i am really excited. I am looking forward to recognizing myself in the mirror again and being able to shop in a regualr size person store. sigh.

Hi gingerbug! Congratulations on your band date! With Christmas & activities it will be here before you know it. I can relate to being able to buy at a regular store. I haven't been able to do that since the 80's. I want to be a "tucker"! That's a phrase from a fellow bandster that was finally able to TUCK in her shirt and wear a belt! Does that sound cool or what? We're going to do this! Best wishes to you!

Carol

Merry Christmas everyone! Luvrocks, thanks for that visual "Tucker" It's been so darn long, I forgot what it was! Surgery is the 8th of Jan. so, I too am looking forward to shopping for "normal" clothes. I run thrift stores, so it will be easy and fun to replace wardrobes as I lose. Thrifting should be on everyone's shopping list. Recycling is always a good thing.

Hello, well, I have no comorbidities. Iam one of those healthy obese people, for some reason. I am about 5'11 and am starting at 284 with a goal of 180 or so. I am not too worried as long as I am under 200 but 180 would be nice!