Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am new to this board. I was banded in September 2005. I have lost only 18% of my weight. I would like to lose more. I don't think that my surgeon thinks that I will lose more. He has offerec me a second surgery called a vertical band where he would remove part of my stomach. I did lose time because I was too tight, about 6 months with 2 unfills. I now feel about right. He says it is too long a time and most people lose weight in 18 months. I need support and do not always feel as if I get it at meetings. There seem to be mostly new people at the meetings. Although I do believe that his office tries. :think

I'm not sure I understand. If you aren't losing weight with a band why would you lose weight with a different procedure? You have to really work at it and that doesn't change with a sleeve procedure.

I'd get back to basics with the band before jumping into another procedure.

What is your daily menu? A typical menu? What is your restriction like? How many calories are you consuming daily? What is your exercise routine like?

Soooo many questions. :eek:

I realize that you are right. I guess my thinking is the doctor right? Am I beyond the time point where the band does any good. He showed me his stats which show the by pass far out stretching the band on success.

I realize that you are right. I guess my thinking is the doctor right? Am I beyond the time point where the band does any good. He showed me his stats which show the by pass far out stretching the band on success.

Did he show you that within 18 months to 5 years your intestinal tissue will begin to regrow and you'll absorb fat and calories again, you'll never absorb nutrition the same, and you'll be left with diet and exercise?

No, you are not beyond the time where the band is going to work. That's what's great about the band. But you can't just sit and wait for the band to do all the work. Regardless of which surgery you have, you have to do your part. You can eat around any of the procedures. You have to start doing your part.

I am aware of that but he says most of them keep it off anyway. The procedure that he wants to do would take 80% of my stomach. He says it is working better than the lap band. He has been doing the by pass longer. I don't think he has much faith in the band. This is a survey that he did. I was too tight for about 6 months with reflux and 2 unfils. Finally it is better. Then my husband got Stage 4 kidney cancer and that did not help. I just started to eat things I shouldn't. I have severe arthritis and it interfers with my exercising but if I could lose a little more I might be able to exercise more. It hurts when I walk and that makes me dread walking. Colette

I am aware of that but he says most of them keep it off anyway. The procedure that he wants to do would take 80% of my stomach. He says it is working better than the lap band. He has been doing the by pass longer. I don't think he has much faith in the band. This is a survey that he did. I was too tight for about 6 months with reflux and 2 unfils. Finally it is better. Then my husband got Stage 4 kidney cancer and that did not help. I just started to eat things I shouldn't. I have severe arthritis and it interfers with my exercising but if I could lose a little more I might be able to exercise more. It hurts when I walk and that makes me dread walking. Colette

That's not bypass, that's a sleeve procedure.

This makes no sense, you can eat around the sleeve EXACTLY the same way you eat around a band. If you can't get a game plan going with the band, you won't get a game plan going with the sleeve. You are essentially making your banded pouch permanent. So what is the difference here?

Instead of looking at why the band isn't working maybe the key here is to look at why you aren't working. I'd hate to see you go through a drastic and invasive procedure to find out that you still have to watch what goes in your mouth and how much you exercise.

What if you get appropriate restriction to start off with. Not too tight and not too loose. Either way you can gain weight. Then get your diet in order. Solid Proteins first, then veggies, then carbs. No snacking, wise food choices, up your Protein to 60gms daily, no drinking with meals, and a good exercise program. You'll have to do the same thing with a sleeve procedure so why wait for drastic surgery to do what you'll have to do anyway?

If your doc did a survey of his patients and it differs that much from global surveys perhaps it is him instead of his patients. If your band was too tight for six months then there was six months shot down. I understand the stress of your husband but it's time to get back on track and take care of yourself.

If exercise is painful then try Water aerobics, chair exercises, etc. But get out there and move.

I Have To Agree With Wasabubblebutt....she Was Right On Target....having Part Of Your Stomach Removed Is Very Dangerous....that Is Why The Lapband Has Been So Great...i Think With Hard Work And Time, You Will Lose The Weight...

You are right. That is what the counselor said today. I have a hard time with meat. Fish goes down ok. Chopped meat ok but all the nutrition stuff says to stay away from read meat. chicken goes down ok sometimes. But only if it is dark meat. I used to get stuck a lot. Not so much anymore. eggs I aways do well with. Some veggies ok. I have had a hard time establishing some type of consistent eating protocol and they haven't been much help. It does seem as if people in the lower 48 get more support but I don't know for sure not having been there. I started to see a counselor and hopefully that will help. Thanks so much for the help. I need some support. What you are saying makes sense. Colette