Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you ever get frustrated with band babies?

Oh boy, I think comments are being taken way out of context, or NOT reading the entire comment.

I'm so happy that I have a doctor that informed me of the rules of lap band. I'm thankful to be able to come here for support and ask some questions and by no means am I saying that newbies shouldn't ask questions, I asked a ton of questions and still do!

My only point I was trying to make was, don't eat ice cream and say the band doesn't work. And it is not the patients fault for not knowing about the band, however, I would think ANYONE going into surgery would RESEARCH it first, but thats just me....I blame doctors for failing to educate the patients, teaching them, and giving them good support. Some docs are wonderful, others are not. This is where Research would be beneficial.

I'm a community college math teacher. That means my students are anywhere from 18 to 60. You wouldn't believe how many times I state something over and over again in my classes and there are still students who completely miss it. I don't mean they don't understand the concept -- I mean they never heard or completely forgot information such as getting up to five bonus points on the test if they complete the review -- and I make this announcement in each of the four classes before each test! I also give them a handout with this information.

My point is that doctors may very well explain these things to their patients but that doesn't mean their patients are listening. Sometimes it's just too much information to take in at once. Sometimes they aren't listening or they only hear what they want to hear. And sometimes they just don't understand. Yet they want to be thin so badly that they jump into the surgery and figure they'll worry about the rest later.

Anyway, I've been on enough message boards to know that the problems with newbies versus long-timers aren't unique to this board. Try going to a cruise board and ask what people think about wearing jeans to dinner! Talk about a flame fest! :) And you can have the best FAQs ever and there will still be people who don't read them or who think their question is different.

I understand that the issue isn't just asking the same questions over and over but arguing with advice they don't like and it is certainly frustrating. But just as I get frustrated as a teacher, there are enough moments of feeling like I made a difference that it is all worthwhile. Those of you who take the time to try to make a difference on this board, even when you want to scream, are worth your former weights in gold! :clap2:

I would hope that I am one of those people. I try to explain things as best as I can. I will click on a post and see if anyone else has answered the question. If not, I try to answer.

Hi Wanda,

I do agree that we rely on the wisdom of the veteran bandsters. And I hate to think I was ever annoying. But most people here are very helpful and I'm grateful for that. I don't think they meant it quite as harshly as it may have sounded. Because I have to agree that there are some people (not most people) that are just down right ignorant. They don't do their research or read the info from their doctor. I think all of us who post are here to support one another. The veteran's just need to vent a little.

:wacko:well put beber its only a few people that just son't have no idea what they get into have the surgery and than ask question. Why would a person do that.

I want to apologise to the "band babies" for this thread. I truly didn't mean to offend anyone, but I *thought* I was addressing the band veterans. Sometimes you want to be blunt with someone, but you just know it'll start drama, and after a while you just get tired of being pc. But, to be honest, in retrospect it's not the band babies who are the issue, it's people who don't listen, and who are not willing to make changes. It sometimes seems like those people are the "band babies" because more of them post. It's even more frustrating to read posts by someone several months into this, who asks the same questions over and over ("why am I not losing weight?"), gets tons of advice, but is unwilling to listen, and seems only to want someone to tell them "Oh, just go get a fill. Argue with the doc if he won't give you one." Then, of course two weeks later they're complaining about being overfilled. {{{Sigh}}} Some people just don't learn.

Tami

Yes, I am a very slow loser. It's been a frustrating experience for me, because in the beginning I thought that the band would be more help that it is.

I have found exercise to be a key ingredient in continuing to lose weight. In the beginning, while I was on the liquid post op diet, I did lose weight quickly. But then is slowed down, much less than two lbs a week, as everyone else had mentioned it was going for them.

People thought I was eating junk food and not following the band rules. That is not the case though. I have a slow metabolism, and I can be stuck on a plateau and not lose for a couple of months. If I gave up during these times, I am sure I would have gained some of my weight back. So I continue to eat properly and exercise, drink my Water, and have faith that the scale will move again. I am thrilled that I have kept off everything I have lost, even if I am a standstill at the moment.

I know now I am what I call a "chunk loser" I go for a couple of months while my body adjusts to the new weight, then all of a sudden I will drop a few.

I have faith that it will continue that way. I have the rest of my life to keep losing, because I have my band and I don't think it's going anywhere. It's just there in the backround, helping me choose foods that aren't band friendly. These are healthy foods,

so my eating habits have changed dramatically in this past year.