Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you ever get frustrated with band babies?

And my mistake for not seeing the FAQ section your right I havent noticed that section I was just going along with what the rest of the people were saying about needing one. I dunno why I never noticed it. My bad.

I only have 15 more pounds to lose I think thats pretty near goal weight, And even with that I still feel the same that people can be put off by the negativity.

Goodness, I wasn't saying you didn't have a right to post here (didn't know where you were anyway, you have no stats or ticker, which is also fine-totally your choice). Heck, I'm nowhere near goal at all and I still post in here from time to time for the same reasons you mentioned about this forum being inspiring to me who is so far from goal. It's nice to read the thoughts and experiences of those who are near/at goal.

What I'm saying is that I think this thread is in the right place, perhaps your issues and beliefs and thoughts are different from Tami's (you this this is bad because of the negativity, she was frustrated and chose to vent to others who were near/at goal). So should she keep her tongue because she doesn't want to hurt someone's feelings? I would say it would be an inappropriate post in the General section or the Support section or even the Monthly sections, but here in the goal section to ask about how others view newbies is fine.

And my mistake for not seeing the FAQ section your right I havent noticed that section I was just going along with what the rest of the people were saying about needing one. I dunno why I never noticed it. My bad.

No worries, but it sort of underscores many people's points that even though the info is out there, some don't look for it. Perhaps because we all have different reading styles. Some get on a board and get excited and just want to post, others sit there for months reading and not saying a thing, some will try out all the functions and go look for the FAQ. I'm sure there is also a certain degree of not know what FAQ means.

You know your right about the origional post I think I was just a little disappointed in the responces. Not really offended just disappointed about the way people feel. But they have every right to feel how they do. Lately it just seems like I have been reading alot about how people dont like when people ask this or that and some people just honestly dont have a good support system or good doctors. I know some people ask questions and they already know the answers to them but whats wrong with some reassurance sometimes. Anyway I didnt intend to make anyone feel bad and I do appriciate everyones help when I need it. Thx all.

You know your right about the origional post I think I was just a little disappointed in the responces. Not really offended just disappointed about the way people feel. But they have every right to feel how they do. Lately it just seems like I have been reading alot about how people dont like when people ask this or that and some people just honestly dont have a good support system or good doctors. I know some people ask questions and they already know the answers to them but whats wrong with some reassurance sometimes. Anyway I didnt intend to make anyone feel bad and I do appriciate everyones help when I need it. Thx all.

I keep going to reply to you Gummibear. But I really don't know what to say.

I am not ignoring your opinion, but I really don't know what you want from us.

You know what, Gummiebear? You hit the ball outta the park with the bold statement above. I think you're dead on about not having good supprt systems or good doctors. My belief is that as weight loss surgery explodes and more and more clinics and facilities are doing it, the field of the "good ones" gets very diluted. Docs and facilities see the money to be made in WLS and just jump on the bandwagon with little regard for the patient's needs and more regard for padding the coffers.

It's sad, and bad practice! I was fortunate that my program had a mandatory pre-op class and we got a big binder with all kinds of printed material that gets added to at our post-op visits. I do understand that some folks get nothing, or very little. And add to that the stressors if you are going out of your community for surgery, you may not have pre-op classes or appointments where you can ask questions prior to surgery. But then you read. You research, you take the time to learn everything you can. Sometimes that does mean asking questions, and you are right, I can chose not to answer them. Which I often do.

Glad you're here, I love it when another person who isn't afraid to post her/his feelings and get into a healthy discussion is online with me.

I think the first one of the links that you posted of Wendall's is his lap band 101 .

And gummie is right about doctors not giving their patients enough information. Heck she was told right after surgery to eat whatever as long as it wasn't fried ( I believe that's what she wrote, I will have to go back and re-read that.) It's one of

WasA 's biggest pet peeve.

I really do wish that the section for FAQ was bold.

I just happened to be a person that read and read before I posted. I am usually a lurker on boards and not a poster. This is really the only board that I actually do a lot of posting on.

Yes, that's the post of Wendall's that I read on OH. I don't know why he didn't title it 101 or 102. It has a lot of great information on it.

I haven't been banded yet but it feels like I am the only person that went to the free seminars and ask my Doctor question before I get banded, people have gotten banded than post question like I gained weight after surgery, well I was told that at the seminar, why I have gas pain also told that at seminar, what can I eat what is PB and slim all question that my Dr. ask. this is such a big deal why not ask these question before you have a surgery OMG what are some people thinking having any type of procedure without knowing what are the side affect or what can happen to you afterward.think god some of these people didn't have gastric bypass you can rev. that

Some doctors don't tell their patients very much at all.

All the FAQ need to be BOLD or in a different color right there

after introductions.

Gummiebear, there IS a forum like that. See, you didn't even look for it!

What's it named? Lap-Band Surgery FAQs and References

Here's the link:

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f73/

The topics:

Two LIVE Lap-band Surgery Videos!

Post-op Checklists - Things to have before surgery.

Abbreviations and What They Mean

Medical Studies on Lap-band

Some Questions to ask about LAPBAND

Links

Technical Lap-Band Reference

BMI Information and Calculation

Surgery -- Questions to Ask

Okay, this is a great place to read what the band actually is and does, and abbreviations, but it doesn't actually have any commonly asked questions and answers. For example, a common pet peeve of everyone's seems to be about the pre and post-op diets. There's no questions in there of, "If I cheat on my diets, will it hurt me?" "Yes, don't do it," or, "I have excruciating pain, should I call my doctor?" (that one boggles my mind:eek:) "Yes," etc, etc, etc. Do you see what I mean? I keep going back to the FAQ's section just to see if I've missed something, but there ARE no FAQ's.:) If there are repetitive questions, then maybe they should actually get cut and pasted onto there in one thread with big bold letters that say ANSWERS TO COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS HERE.

That's a great idea.

I appreciate people who come to the message boards before surgery to find out as much as they can. I lack respect for the ones who get the surgery 'cause the doc told 'em to, but never bothered to find out how the band will impact their lives, or how their eating habits will have to change in order to be successful.
I do think the Dr.'s are failing to educate their patients if a patient goes into getting the band and does not understand. My dr. made me take a test before he would give me the band to make sure I understood how it works, what to eat and what not to eat. etc.

Best wishes to everyone.

How is it completely the fault of the patients that are getting these procedures when there are doctors out there that don't really care how well prepared a patient is...they just see dollar signs?

And yes, I'm sorry, but everybody was raised differently when it comes to questioning what could be considered authority figures. For SOME people, if a doctor tells them to do something, they won't question it. I'm sorry if that bothers some of you so much. I don't happen to be that way (I was asking questions at my information seminar that kind of caught the doc off-guard, like he wasn't used to informed patients), but I do understand that some people ARE that way. Why does that need to be judged? Some people were just raised in a certain way to not ask questions, or it just happens to be in their nature. I myself can't comprehend this attitude because I ask "WHY?" about everything - but I do understand that it does exist. It doesn't mean I think those types of people are "stupid."

If this was the only thread i ever read i would never call this a support site. Donna

I have to agree with this.

Yes, yes, yes, you guys have every right to vent your frustrations. I mean, you gotta do it somewhere. I FULLY AGREE with you about the people that are looking for justification for their poor choices - it's aggravating. I know that you just want people to make good choices and succeed - I'm not doubting that.

But maybe take yourself outside the situation for two seconds and think of where that person may be coming from. And yes, some people are completely UNsaavy when it comes to the computer and it's a freaking miracle that they were even able to find this site. If you know the particular thread that could give them the information that they are asking for, just post it. Or ignore it altogether.