Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you ever get frustrated with band babies?

I can't eat sugar, just can't. If I drink a glass of OJ in the morning I'm history for the rest of the day. I can't cram enough food in my mouth. If I only eat good carbs and cut out ALL white carbs and sugar I'm good to go. I am not hungry. But if I eat a candy bar, for example, I'm toast for the rest of the day. I spend the afternoon sitting on my couch like a big carb slug eating my way through evening.

Here's my question about that.....If you could give up all the carbs with the band why couldn't you do it without the band? I'm asking because I did Atkins & South Beach & lost 40-50 pds on each one. What I COULDN"T do was stick to it. I found eating meat for breaki(Atkins) boring & found South Beach hard to fit into everyday life(things like salad dressings, & no sugar what-so-ever such as in ketchup)

I was never hungry doing southbeach but couldn't stick to it. How has the band stopped you from that. ie. Orange juice. If you say "I know it's not good for me" then again I wonder why you needed the band to begin with if you have that sort of self-control where food is concerned ?

(my tone isn't meant to be snotty here)

I wont answer for Wasa but I found that early on the band gave me the kind of lack of appetite that Tenuate did way back in the 80's. I just wasnt overly interested in food. Once that passed (6 months or so) I'd lost so much weight and had gotten into a running routine and that in itself was enough to provide motivation for me. Its amazing how much easier simple measures like eating less, and moving more become when you have proof that they work!

Wasa is one driven lady, the anser, for me is that the band wouldnt make it any easier for me to give up carbs, and I havent given them up. I've had slower weight loss because of it but I still lost - because I just eat less and move more than I did.

Here's my question about that.....If you could give up all the carbs with the band why couldn't you do it without the band? I'm asking because I did Atkins & South Beach & lost 40-50 pds on each one. What I COULDN"T do was stick to it. I found eating meat for breaki(Atkins) boring & found South Beach hard to fit into everyday life(things like salad dressings, & no sugar what-so-ever such as in ketchup)

I was never hungry doing southbeach but couldn't stick to it. How has the band stopped you from that. ie. Orange juice. If you say "I know it's not good for me" then again I wonder why you needed the band to begin with if you have that sort of self-control where food is concerned ?

Because I couldn't give up all the carbs without my band. I couldn't give up bread, Pasta, bakery items, etc. without my band. I could do it short term but not long term. I *can't* eat bread or anything with a flour/yeast combo. It won't go down. The rest such as juice, etc. was will power at first. Now it's a way of life.

I stick to healthier foods now because I can and it really doesn't take will power.

Well, I do know what I'm talking about, I am supportive, and there is a problem here that NEEDS to be discussed with the doc before surgery. Not after surgery when eating solids caused a slip and the person has to go back into surgery. Isn't it better to prepare for this ahead of time?

Yes yes yes, thats what I'm talking about. Why is the doctor giving them surgery if they cannot stay on the plan? These things need to be discussed BEFORE surgery, not after! Yes, I totally agree!

The ones that really drive me nutty are the ones that say..."I just had surgery but I don't know what to eat". I mean come on. You haven't met with a nutritionist at least once pre-surgery? They didn't get you any instructions to take home with you? You didn't get the lap-band book to read? geezes..I don't get how u can have the surgery and then not have any instructions as to what to eat after. I put the doctor's mostly at fault for this one though.

I did six months of research before I did the surgery (spotlighthealth I believe it was). I was a walking encyclopedia of band knowledge. It's a huge life changing event. How can you NOT research? I just don't get it. I truely believe its a combination of bad doctor's and lazy people not wanting to read.

Yes yes yes, thats what I'm talking about. Why is the doctor giving them surgery if they cannot stay on the plan? These things need to be discussed BEFORE surgery, not after! Yes, I totally agree!

I think a lot of times we are so desperate for surgery that we don't always tell the truth. If your doc requires a pre op diet and you can't do it, if you tell him will he still do surgery? The fear of not getting banded outweighs common sense. I understand that.

But it wouldn't be supportive of me not to point out the obvious. Sometimes the truth hurts, but when it comes to banding the truth is necessary.

I was desperate enough to fib on my pre op paperwork. I didn't tell the whole truth about my medical history. I was afraid my doc wouldn't do surgery. I just wasn't sure and I wasn't taking chances. Turns out, he still would have done surgery with no problem as my issues are common but I didn't know for sure at the time. So I understand the concept but when it comes to the diet you have to have a back up plan and that can only be done with your doc.

But the flip side to that coin are not the band babies but the "bad advice givers" who try to say that a pre op diet is easier than a month of post op liquids. ??? HUH? People need to know the truth. What they do with that truth is up to them. But we wouldn't be doing any favors by supporting bad behaviors and actions. We can provide the truth and facts, what the person does from there is up to them. :cry

There should be a tread on the main page that say "NEWBIES" read here 1st...

The FAQ i don't think i read - but i would start at page one of a thread and read all the way through - and usually if you just keep reading you will find out what pbing, slime and how to get a ticker.

I think that all these things s/b in the "NEWBIES READ HERE FIRST" THREAD..

I also can't believe it when someone has had surgery and they don't know what to eat -but i guess that's really the doc's fault - mine gave me a binder with all the info needed as to each stage of the food plan and I even had homework on menu planing and counting Protein grams.

I can't eat sugar, just can't. If I drink a glass of OJ in the morning I'm history for the rest of the day. I can't cram enough food in my mouth. If I only eat good carbs and cut out ALL white carbs and sugar I'm good to go. I am not hungry. But if I eat a candy bar, for example, I'm toast for the rest of the day. I spend the afternoon sitting on my couch like a big carb slug eating my way through evening.

The answer for me is, the band made it easier to give crappy food up. Now, after close on 3 years, I just prefer to eat better, more nutritious food, my taste has changed. Yeah, there is an element of will power, but baby, the band ain't going to do everything for me!

There should be a tread on the main page that say "NEWBIES" read here 1st...

The FAQ i don't think i read - but i would start at page one of a thread and read all the way through - and usually if you just keep reading you will find out what pbing, slime and how to get a ticker.

I think that all these things s/b in the "NEWBIES READ HERE FIRST" THREAD..

I also can't believe it when someone has had surgery and they don't know what to eat -but i guess that's really the doc's fault - mine gave me a binder with all the info needed as to each stage of the food plan and I even had homework on menu planing and counting Protein grams.

i started a thread - not many views ...:)

geesh Chickie ... you KNOW there's a search function here, dontcha???!!! :)

http://www.lapbandtalk.com/f18/you-new-do-you-have-questions-come-here-45254/

People keep talking about this "search function" but I just can't find it!

While I have your attention. I ate pizza last night, but PB'd most of it up, and now my farts smell like pepperoni. Am I going to be ok? Have I damaged my band?

:D

People keep talking about this "search function" but I just can't find it!

While I have your attention. I ate pizza last night, but PB'd most of it up, and now my farts smell like pepperoni. Am I going to be ok? Have I damaged my band?

:P

oh dear, i think you may have to loose your band ... (:)) whatever you do, DONT go to Mexico though ... all the quacks are there (another :D - wasa j/k)

It greatly disturbs me that I find the thought of "pepperoni-scented" farts oddly appealing at the moment! Ack!

:sick

oh dear, i think you may have to loose your band ... (:)) whatever you do, DONT go to Mexico though ... all the quacks are there (another :D - wasa j/k)

:sick

Now I am scared! Has my band slipped? Can you tell me if It has?