Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you ever get frustrated with band babies?

I'm gonna go off on a little rant here. I post to another site, and really try to be supportive and help new bandsters get off on a good start. But, sometimes it's so hard not to want to slap 'em across the face. Don't they investigate this procedure before getting banded to understand what to expect? Someone posted on the other site saying she was frustrated with her doctor because he put in too much saline in the band at her second fill appointment. But, when I looked at her previous posts, less than three weeks before her fill she was posting that she was so restricted after her first fill that she couldn't comfortably eat cottage cheese or tuna with mayo! But, she "only" lost 6 lbs. since the first fill, so ran back to the doc for another fill. Sheesh.

Tami

I get frustrated with something different....

"Today is day #1 of my liquid diet and I'm STARRRRVING and I cheated!" One day of liquids? What will happen in the post op phase?

Or...

"I was banded yesterday and today I ate ham, got stuck, and now I can't keep Water down."

Hellooo? The diets are there for a reason.

Then we have:

"I was banded a week ago and the pain was worse than childbirth!"

Oh please... I hate the drama.

i was not being dramatic, nor was i being a baby. i merely admitted i had made the mistake of eating a peice of ghopped ham the size of a peanut. I ADMITTED it was dumb. And I was only posting that on a thread by someone else who had made the same mistake and was seeking help. i was being grateful i was not the only one who had made a mistake. And i don't need any condescension from you or anyone else. I'm sure you are not Miss Perfect, or else you wouldn't need to be banded, nor would you need to be here. Come to think of it, if you WERE Miss Perfect, you wouldn't even exist, because the only one who is Perfect is Jesus Christ.

it can be pretty hard resisting temptation while you feed your 2 year old, not to have just a teensy bite. I am NOT the guy who had his mpm go to mcd's for a cheeseburger and ate the whole thing.

i just cannot believe the ham comment ... i mean geesh! the DAY after surgery??? even the thought of food made me want to hurl

You are correct, you were not being dramatic or anything else. You did something, admitted it wasn't the best decision, and we have all made stupid mistakes.

To be honest I do get tired of other types of people who don't learn from their mistakes and then blame everyone around them when they get a slip or something similar.

I have admitted many times that my big pet peeve is people who don't follow the post op diet. Others have a pet peeve of those who don't eat a healthy diet but garbage foods only. As time goes on you'll find your own pet peeve. The post op diet is mine because I know how important it is for the overall life of the band. I am more frustrated with doctors who don't explain the reason WHY this time frame is so critical.

All in all, you are correct and I apologize.

apology accepted...yeah, i know it was dumb. glad the pineapple juice worked. i am surprised how different dr have such radically different post-op diets. mine was 2 days clear liquid, days 3-7 full liquids, then 2 weeks mushies. i think it will be much longer before i move past liquids.

i am grateful for all the advice here. very helpful

Ooops, sorry, didn't mean to stir somethin' up! I read and post more often over at Obesity Help, but they don't have a thread for "Life at or near goal". The closest they have is Weight Loss Surgery Graduates, and unfortunately it seems to be all gastric bypass folks, and the vast majority seem to have gained and are trying to lose again.

I'm counting my blessings today for the simple reason that I really feel that "I get it". I get what it takes to lose weight and keep it off (fingers crossed). I don't expect the band to do it for me. But it helps! I think that's one of the benefits of the band over gastric bypass. You don't get to goal without some major changes in eating and exercise, whereas with GB, they might actually get to goal and *then* have to learn new habits to stay there (or not, and gain).

Sometimes I feel like I've lost touch with the newbies because I just can't relate to some of the behaviors and thought patterns. But, realistically, I know that it's a process. You don't figure it all out overnight. It takes time, mistakes, and willingness to learn from them. So, I'll try to be more patient and bite my tongue!

Tami

I get frustrated with people who's attitude is all wrong. Cheating already on liquids, eating the wrong foods, drinking calories, not exercising (oh, but they have EVERY valid excuse for that) etc etc. They dont need to be newbies, there's plenty of long time bandsters around that you just wonder "sheesh, why did you even bother?".

Ooops, sorry, didn't mean to stir somethin' up! I read and post more often over at Obesity Help, but they don't have a thread for "Life at or near goal". The closest they have is Weight Loss Surgery Graduates, and unfortunately it seems to be all gastric bypass folks, and the vast majority seem to have gained and are trying to lose again. ...

Tami

Tami,

you didnt stir anything up, dont worry about it ... :)

btw - you have done SO amazing! i wish you'd post here more often!

What baffles me is people who get this operation, and don't know a single thing about it. HOW can someone submit to a surgical procedure, and potentially a very large price tag, and not know what they're getting? And have NO CLUE how it works, what to expect, etc? Boggles my mind.

One of my pet peeves is when people report their own personal experiences with the band as absolute fact, and tell other people who aren't even banded yet "you will experience this" or "you will not experience this." Is someone going to experience a PB at some point? Yeah, probably. Is someone going to have to avoid turkey, radishes, and mustard for the rest of their lives because you can't get them down? Not so much. Really, our world of band facts is very small, and most of them are based in much more general concepts.

I *do* tell people that eventually they are going to PB and they are going to slime. So many people fear barfing and I don't want them thinking it isn't ever gonna happen. I don't want someone thinking they can be extra careful and never get anything stuck. The only way to know which foods are tolerated is trial and error. But overall I totally agree with you Wheetsin.

I hate it when people talk about the horrors of the pain. There is a difference between pain and discomfort and most have discomfort and it is not the same as childbirth. When you tell someone something is going to hurt, it WILL hurt. I'm all for honesty but not drama.

What baffles me is people who get this operation, and don't know a single thing about it. HOW can someone submit to a surgical procedure, and potentially a very large price tag, and not know what they're getting? And have NO CLUE how it works, what to expect, etc? Boggles my mind.

This amazes me too. There is so much information on this board and nobody should get banded without reading and finding whatever information they need

BEFORE surgery.

I read the board for a couple of months before I ever made a post. I knew I was making a decision about putting an object inside my body and I wanted to know anything and everything I could find out about it, before I did it.

The answer is yes... I get very frustrated with some of the stuff people come up with. Coming here used to be my favorite part of the day. Now it's just getting harder and harder to read the new posts.