Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can you start over?

Hi

My name is Vicki. I have been an absent member of this forum for a very very

long time.

I was banded in Feb. 2005.

Intially I lost about 30 pounds.

I had fills that first year, and then even a bit out. I think I have 1.75cc in a 4 cc band.

I have restriction.

About the end of the first year, I stopped losing and started gaining.

Like so many I pd'ed a lot. So I started eating softer and softer foods.

Also I had to go back on insulin for diabetes and the weight crept back up.

I also have not seen my surgeon in two years. I know bad bad bad.

I just have let all the weight creep back on. I eat very unhealthy due to

not wanting to throw up. Also I want to eat.

My real question is CAN I START OVER.

I am presently trying to get in with a doctor closer to my home. I went out of town to have my surgery by what I consider the best surgeon anywhere. But I have found that with the distance I am just not making the effort to followup with him.

SO I thought if I had a doc closer and some nurtritional counseling closer and support group closer I could maybe start over.

I do not have a lot of weight to lose compared to some. But the weight I have affects my health very badly.

I am 4'11 and weigh 176.

Looking for the wisdom of all of you on what and how I should go about all of this.

I DO NOT WANT MY BAND removed. I still believe in it. (NOW my family and friends don't believe in it at all and think I should just have it out) But I fought to hard and went through to much to even think of having it removed.

I know that so many people have not been as lucky as I have to have the band approved by insurance and have this opportunity. I believe, although I am not treating it as one, the band is a gift.

Solid advice and steps would be so appreciated. Has anyone "started over"

Vicki in Indy

Vicki

I have not had to start over with the band. I believe whole heartedly it can be done! I think you just need to recommitt to yourself, not your band. You need to frame your mind that you can do this, and you can!

Best of wishes to you! You can absolutely do this!

It sounds like you are having problems with head hunger not real hunger. Make a comittment to yourself and jump back on the bandwagon. lol Donna

I agree with everyone else sounds like you need to commit to yourself , commit to taking care of yourself. And honestly I dont think a doc closer to you has ANYTHING to do with it . I think its an excuse you have told yourself.

But if you think it will help then do it.

But NOTHING Is going to help if you dont want this for YOURSELF.

I would suggest counseling though . It sounds like a good idea.

Good luck

Mindy

Hi

My name is Vicki. I have been an absent member of this forum for a very very long time. I was banded in Feb. 2005. Intially I lost about 30 pounds. I had fills that first year, and then even a bit out. I think I have 1.75cc in a 4 cc band. I have restriction. the band is a gift. Solid advice and steps would be so appreciated. Has anyone "started over"

Vicki in Indy

Vicki - Yes you can start over!!!! I agree with find a doctor who is closer but until you do don't let that stop you. IMHO the band only does 25% of the work the other 75% is up to you.. You and only you can make good food choices & add exercise into your life - this is a lifestyle change not a diet. Please get back on the bandwagon for your health this is the reason i choose to have the surgery - I want to live to see my grandkids get married - Plus I want to feel better and look good too.

You know what needs to be done - make that committment and just do it - also - if you want to eat you gotta exercise - calories in vs calories out. Low fat - sugar free - I eat carbs but not a lot - If you are hungry eat extra veggies...

Good luck on being re-committed - you can do this !!!!

Have you thought about joining a weight watchers group and going to all the meeting for support and accountability? Or if you ndon't like to cook, how about nutasystem? They have a diabetic program. Of course you can start over but you must need to do something differently. Sharon

You can definitely start over! I did after about the same amount of time as you! I was banded 5/07 and initially lost 40 pounds. Then I had 2 surgeries about 1 year apart and totally fell off the wagon. I gained all the weight back (plus some). Finally I made the decision to call and schedule a fill. That was 6 weeks ago and I have recommited to the band and now track every ounce of food in and excercise more. Over the past 6 weeks I have lost 28 pounds. I am so glad that I started over, even though my family members were all convinced that the band was not working. Realize that it is not the band that's not working -- it's YOU! Once you get back on track, you will feel better and your confidence will rise. Call and make an appointment for a fill. My surgeon said that he thinks it is time to talk about bypass but I said that I was ready to work the program now and give me a chance. I went back and he said that he was glad I was working it now. You can do it!!

My surgeon said that he thinks it is time to talk about bypass but I said that I was ready to work the program now and give me a chance. I went back and he said that he was glad I was working it now. You can do it!!

Smagi

Why would he suggest bypass - it's no different - people who have had bypass can gain their weight back too and many do.

I really don't get that people don't understand from the get go that neither the band or bypass is the cure all to our weight issues - they are tools - just like diet pills use to be - you did fine as long as you took them but once you stopped - here come the pounds right back and some

This is no different - we have to make LIFE TIME LIFE STYLE changes to how we deal with food...

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the OP was asking not only IF she can start over but how? If she's eating soft foods because she's PBing all the time, isn't that a sign that she needs an unfill? In fact, I wonder if a doctor wouldn't unfill her completely and start with a liquid diet and then move her through the stages just like those of us who have just started.

The band is your tool and you need to work with it not against it for it to work. Recommit yourself and HELP the band work for you. You can do this, it is not easy but you are already so far ahead of those of us that are not banded. I cannot wait to be a looser and soon you will be again as well.

I am kind of in the same boat as you. I have only been banded for 5 months now and I pb alot of foods. I know some of the times is because I am really hungry and eat too quickly. I sometimes go a long time between eating. I do sometimes choose foods that are not good for me because I know that they will not get stuck and will pass through with ease. I do too want to lose more weight. I have only lost almost 35 pounds. I do not exercise as much as I should, but sometimes my schedule restricts the time to. I feel like I need a good kick in the butt to help me. I know that my surgeon operated on my stomach and not my brain, but I think it is going to take some time to get out of some old habits. We are almost the same size. I am 4'11" and 171 pounds. I hope starting over for you will work and I will try to do the same.

Well, correct me if I'm wrong, but it sounds like the OP was asking not only IF she can start over but how? If she's eating soft foods because she's PBing all the time, isn't that a sign that she needs an unfill? In fact, I wonder if a doctor wouldn't unfill her completely and start with a liquid diet and then move her through the stages just like those of us who have just started.

Longhorn - the way i read it was that she had pd'd originally and then just started eating around the band - she does state she has restriction - She need to make the committment to change her eating habits - if you are too tight then yes unfill - don't eat around the band cuz you can. The band is nothing more than a tool and if you don't eat correctly you aren't going to lose

Hi Vicki,

I absolutely believe you can start over, in fact, I am doing that now. I have had problems with my band for months now. However, my one year of everything included ran out in April. Due to some financial problems, I put off going to my doctor. I could not eat anything before noon. The only way I could get anything down at all was if I drank something that literally scalded my throat first; and even then it was hit and miss.

So, two weeks ago, my wonderful parents said enough, sent me a check and told me to go see my doctor. Let me tell you, I learned what a wonderful doctor I have. When I went in, he was very concerned about me and the fact that I had not been to see him in months (they had called, but I saw their name on caller id and did not answer). When he found out about the problems I had been having and that I did not come in because of my financial situation, he showed me that he is truly a wonderful doctor who really cares about his patients. He told me I should never allow money to prevent me from coming to see him, especially when I am having problems. He said my health is what is most important to him, not my ability to pay for services. And, when I got ready to leave, he refused to accept the check my parents gave me for him and told me there was no charge for the visit, that he is more concerned with getting me healthy again. When I left there I was in tears because I learned how wonderful my doctor truly is. And, then I kicked myself for allowing myself to be miserable for months on end.

So, after all that he said my problem was that I was simply too tight and had then managed to irritate my esophagus. (I had done the same as you, to avoid the 3x daily pb's, was eating very soft and unhealthy food, Peanut Butter tracks ice cream was my top food) He removed all my fill and I was immediately better. He said I need to wait 2-4 weeks before I go back and start getting the fill back in. We are going to basically start over again, go slow with the fills and work on getting me back healthy and on track.

With the right doctor and team, you can start over. Meet with a dietician if needed, counselor or whatever else you can do. Your band has never left you, it is there waiting for you to finish your journey.

Good luck!

Thank You so much for all of your replies.

Yes I need to recommit.

There are a lot of band rules I follow, always have.

I think I do need to be unfilled, and do the liquids

start eating solids, SLOWLY, then slowly add some fills

back in.

I had restriction right out of the gate.

I think if eating was not so uncomftable (and I know

that some people have a lot worse pain and pb'ing then I)

I would eat more healthy and feel full longer ect.

I have stayed away from any of the boards for the past two years

becasue I do not want to discourage anyone.

I truely do believe in the band.

I wonder what my weight would be now without it. A lot more than I am

now I am sure.

I guess I was just wondering if anyone was like me, and how they

got back on track?

I remember how I felt when I got the call that I had been approved

to have the band HOPE> a HOPE I had never ever felt in my life about

anything.

I want to feel that HOPE again.

Again thank you all so much.

I need support, and I have not sought it out.

The first year of my band life, I gave support.

Hope some of this makes sense.

I just want to mention one thing that since a few people on here have said they pb often I think need to be reminded of . PBing often CAN CAUSE YOUR BAND TO SLIP OR ERODE , so if your PBing GET UNFILLED.

your doing NOTHING for yourself by keeping your band so tight that you can not eat solids and your Pbing , even going to soft foods, and staying on them! what is the point ? Im sorry but I dont get it ? WHY ON EARTH would you go through the pain of surgery and make this life altering change and then keep your band so tight that its essentially USELESS ????

If your band is so tight you can not eat solids GET UNFILLED !

Your saving youself A LOT Of pain and possible damage later on !

Im really not trying to judge but doing this can be dangerous and we all I think got banded to save your lives??

Mindy