Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who have PCOS

I can't believe that I have been walking around with this disease all this time!! I hate it !! And the depression and the anxiety attacks ... It's a crazy thing... And all the women in my family are very fertile no one has had a probably with having babied LOL too many babies. So I know it all sprang from my poor eating habits as a child to now and the obesity. I bought a book on PCOS and I am trying to read as much as I can on the disease. I want PCOS to live with me ... not me living with PCOS. But with banding are all PCOS patients slow losers... is anyones weight at a steady pace???

My wieght loss has been rather fast so far. I haven't lost anything in about 2 weeks (due to no restriction). So hopefully I'll get some good restriction with my next fill.

What you said about all the women in your family being fertile, got me thinking. I wasn't sure if PCOS is hereditary or not, so I did some research and it all makes sense to me now. I have 2 sisters and 1 of them has PCOS. I also have 2 cousins with PCOS (1 is obese and the other has always been at a healthy weight). Both cousins that have PCOS are on my dad's side of the family. My mother doesn't have PCOS (nor anyone on her side of the family). Here's a quote from an article I read that brings up something very interesting:

It has been recognized for many years that PCOS definitely runs in families. It is inherited as an autosomal dominant trait. Therefore, if a woman has PCOS, it should be looked for in her mother, sisters, and daughters.

Since it is autosomal dominant, male relatives will also carry the gene. These men are also often insulin resistant and at increased risk for diabetes. Some evidence indicates that the marker for the PCOS gene is men is early balding. If a male relative develops significant balding before the age 30, he should be evaluated.

This makes sense to me now. My dad has diabetes, so does 2 of his brothers, and his father (my grandfather died about 5 years ago from multiple strokes). It never occured to me that the men on my dad's side could be carrying the gene. Just thought that was interesting.

But with banding are all PCOS patients slow losers... is anyones weight at a steady pace???

I lost at a good pace. It took me about 17 months to get to goal.

I've been losing at a consistent rate. I've lost 67lbs since I started the pre-op diet on <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com><st1:date Month=8/16/07</st1:date>

<st1:date Month="8" Day="16" Year="2007"></st1:date>

For me, low carb really is the answer. I eat mostly "whole foods" - nothing pre-packed/processed. Lots of whole grains, fruits & veggies, and mostly meats for Protein.< /span>

Tons of Water and moderate exercise have also been part of my routine. <!-- google_ad_section_end --><!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Hi ladies!

My doctor will not perform surgery if there is a weight gain, no matter how slight, during the pre-surgery diet. I am vey scared--I meet with him tomorrow to go over details, but with PCOS, weight gain just seems constant no matter what I do.

How has the pre-surgery diet worked for you with PCOS? Was weight loss possible? Any gainers out there?

Thanks!

Hi ladies!

My doctor will not perform surgery if there is a weight gain, no matter how slight, during the pre-surgery diet. I am vey scared--I meet with him tomorrow to go over details, but with PCOS, weight gain just seems constant no matter what I do.

How has the pre-surgery diet worked for you with PCOS? Was weight loss possible? Any gainers out there?

Thanks!

Do you know which diet you will be on? I was on Sugar Busters for 3 weeks and lost 16 lbs. I've never had a big problems losing weight (if I stuck to it religiously), keeping it off is where my problem came in. I always had very good results from low-carb diets, but again, once I came off of it, I would gain it all back. Thats what's go great about the band, I can eat regular foods, just a lot less of it (when I have good restriction).

I'm not sure which diet I'll be on. I think I find that out tomorrow. He just said it would involve protien drinks at 1500 calories/day. I've always had a problem losing, even following a strict diet and working out with a trainer for 90 mins a day, 5 days a week. That's why I'm so nervous.

I'm not sure which diet I'll be on. I think I find that out tomorrow. He just said it would involve protien drinks at 1500 calories/day. I've always had a problem losing, even following a strict diet and working out with a trainer for 90 mins a day, 5 days a week. That's why I'm so nervous.

It's possible it could be the Optifast shakes. It seems like a lot of bandsters were doing this for pre-op diets. Let us know how it goes tomorrow.

LAPinND,

Regarding your question about pre-op diets, I have a little anecdote. I actually did a trial run (partially) of the liquid diet a couple weeks ago (just to see how I would survive the real thing). I did a shake for Breakfast and lunch and a light dinner (this is a deviation from the real pre-op diet I was given- which includes only shakes and soups). Anyway, I lost 4 pounds in a week.

I think even with PCOS you should lose on a low carb diet, especially and extreme low carb one line Atkins or Optifast/protein shakes. Yes, PCOS makes weight loss very difficult, but without the carbs to fuel the problem, you should be able to lose, at least in the short run. Plus, you'll be banded before you have a chance to give in to carbs again. It is definitely scary what your doctor said, but I don't think you have anything to worry about. :(

Dang girl ... you are doing pretty good to have PCOS!! But I am starting off wayyy heavier than you were also. But I am happy for you that you are in the ones!!! LOL I can't wait to see them too!! I haven't see a 1 on the scale since maybe 3rd grade ... sad I know it breaks my heart!! But has anyone picked up Muhummad Ali's daughter Khaliah Ali's book Fighting Weight!! It's good thus far I am on chapter 3!! And she alos lost weight with banding!! I can relate to her story ALOT!! And I know alot of us can that have been overweight as children to now!! Please pick up she looks fantastic and she says that she hasn't had any work done. But she loves her band ... She had her surgery done at NYU by Dr Fielding!! And Dr Fielding also has a band!! crazy rite the Dr himself has a band!! But it goes to show when you try and put kids on diets it only scars them worst cause they don't understand why they shouldn't be able to eat like they want. And immediately you feel ugly like something is wrong with you and when you go to school you feel really out of place cause all the other kids are smalled than you are... and of course kids can see the difference. I know I did and my parents tried putting me on diets and taking me to all sorts of doctors and it just further crashes your self esteem. And that makes you wanna eat more. Cause you feel so awful inside. I remember thinking that I was so very ugly as a girl and it didn't help me any as I got older and got kinda curvier with my looks ... I started to get attention from men and I was rape at 15 sadly ... but whom ever made the statement what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger and that is sure as hell true!! But after my rape I gained weight sooo rapidly it was crazy. I balloned to 280 at 16 years old. But I'm saying that to say this. It's a hard life being an overweight child I could seriously write a book to on my life trials and tribulations and I will only be 20 in a couple weeks... And society today plays a big part and it sucks but this is the world we live in ... Fat people want to be accpeted but at the same time if we glorify being fat as we do being skinny ... everyone would want to be fat and everyone would be unhealthy and dying off at an early age... so it's kinda a catch 22. What do we do... and I want to grab the overweight girls in EVERY school and just hug them and say you are beautiful baby and keep your head up!! It's ok... Cause I didn't have anyone there to do that for me as a girl. In high school I became more popular but the skinny girls still looked at me like I was just the "fat friend" that all the skinny girl cliques have. But I don't wanna ramble on LOL thanks listening and letting me share!! LOTS OF LOVE APPLES!!

Apple,

My heart breaks for you and the pain of your difficult childhood. I'm sure many of us, myself included, can relate to the countless heartaches that have unfortunately contributed to our weight problems. I love this forum because we can talk about all the reasons we're in this struggle to regain control of our lives... and many many of those reasons are emotional. I sometimes wish there was a lap band for my heart and my mind too. :(

Thanks kissmygrits and georgiagirl for the feedback. I had a great appointment with the DR. yesterday, and I feel a lot better. I should have my approval letter (hopefully!) in a couple of weeks, and then we'll see. I started Protein Shakes this morning, and I'm trying to cut the carbs. I don't get to meet with the dietician until after the approval comes, and then I'll do whatever I'm told! We're looking at a late January/early February surgery date, and I can't wait!

Thanks kissmygrits and georgiagirl for the feedback. I had a great appointment with the DR. yesterday, and I feel a lot better. I should have my approval letter (hopefully!) in a couple of weeks, and then we'll see. I started Protein shakes this morning, and I'm trying to cut the carbs. I don't get to meet with the dietician until after the approval comes, and then I'll do whatever I'm told! We're looking at a late January/early February surgery date, and I can't wait!

That's great lapinND! Hope it happens for you soon. Sounds like you have everything under control. Keep up the good work.

Thanks Kiss I really appreciate the love!! I have gotten better. But I just know what I have to do now to change my life and it's a remarkable feeling when you finally see a light the end of the tunnel!!! But it sleepiness a PCOS symptom?? During the day ??

Thanks Kiss I really appreciate the love!! I have gotten better. But I just know what I have to do now to change my life and it's a remarkable feeling when you finally see a light the end of the tunnel!!! But it sleepiness a PCOS symptom?? During the day ??

Apples, you have such a great attitude. I'm not sure I could be as positive as you if I had gone through that. What an inspiration you are.

Have you ever been tested for sleep apnea? I was going through that a few months before I had surgery. I felt sleepy during the day and my muscles ached and I just felt exhausted all the time. My Primary Physician recommended a sleep study and sure enough, I have sleep apnea. It's something you might want to look into. Many people don't realize how dangerous it can be for your health, if left untreated (heart disease, high blood pressure, stroke, and more). Check it out, it's better to be safe than sorry.

MY DR asked me a series of questions and he doesn't think that I have it ... so I called and tried to schedule a sleep study and they said that my doctor would have to send a prescription for it. But the only symptoms that I have is the drowsiness during the day but none of the other stuff really. But the dietician that I seen for post-op appt said that women with PCOS get sleepy alot during the day.