Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just banded and HUNGRY!!

Hi. I'm having a really hard time. Now that I'm starting to heal I feel hungry... sometimes very hungry... and I'm really struggling with itthink.gif. I'm on a full liquid for the first two weeks and really do want to follow the rules, but i feel like I'm gonna lose it!! I dont want to fall back to old habits, but when I get this hungry, old habits start to come into my head!! I haven't breaken the rules, had a cracker to have the sensation of chewing. Went down fine? I wish I could get a fill now and start feeling the restriction so I can't eat.... 5 long weeks to go before real food consumption. Has anyone had this type of experience? What did you Do? HELP!!!help.gif

I have been hungry too! I was banded on November 2nd and had my check up on Thursday. My Dr. told me to to move forward with my food. I have eaten mushy foods and then to real food. I had lost 9 pounds in the first week and he said I was doing great. My suggestion is to talk to your doctor and tell him exactly how you feel. He might give you the go ahead, if not be strong and the time will pass. GOOD LUCK!!!

Hi. I wish I could get a fill now and start feeling the restriction so I can't eat.... 5 long weeks to go before real food consumption. Has anyone had this type of experience? What did you Do? HELP!!!help.gif

I think we all had something like this. I was lucky and had no appetite for over a month post-op. Please dont get discouraged when you get your fill and still have hunger. I felt nothing after my first fill. I go in tomorrow for fill number 2. The time from surgery till you get some restriction is where willpower comes into play. It will be easy to cheat, but doing that could easily cause you not to have the desired results in the long run. I walked the very few times that I felt hunger, even though I knew it was only head-hunger. Drink tons of liquid, stay as active as possible and the time till real food will go by quicker. Good luck....Dave

I also got really hungry on the liquid phase after being banded. My doctor defined liquids as anything I could drink through a straw. Maybe make some fruit smoothies in your blender? I even blended up some Mexican casserole I made one night with some milk. Before experiencing the hunger I was having I would have thought it sounded disgusting but it was wonderful!!! I've also heard people talk about blending up Soups.

Maybe ask your doctor if the straw rule works for defining liquids then you can have more options.

Otherwise the two weeks will be over before you know it. It will get better!! Take care. ~Tina

I started to feel hunger about my 4th-5th day post op. Not hunger pangs like I was used to, but a definite emptyness and grumbling to be filled. I just mixed in Protein powder with my pudding and sipped on thick Protein shakes. It goes away, feed it with the fluids.

I can relate on the cracker thing. It's so weird not to chew. I have to admit I've taken bites of things and chewed them up, but spit it out before swallowing. I sucked the salt off of a chip. I chewed and spit two bites of pizza then two bites of cake. Not good behavior for this I'm sure, but old habits are hard to break. So I'm working on it, but didn't swallow though, too affraid to mess up my band or stretch out my tummy too soon.

good luck

I had my surgery on Nov 2 and am STARVING as well!! Sorry I have no solution, but you have my sympathy!

Linda

I had my surgury on 09-18 i have lost a total of 30 lbs but it has not been easy. I have found myself lately really hungry. My doctor said he does not want to do a fill until i meet my three months and he may still not want to do so. I think I really need a fill, today I had 1 whole grain pancake and egg beaters at IHOP and was not full. I was under the impression that I would feel as though I ate a MAc Truck after that but didnt. Will I ever feel full? I think right now it is just will power. Does after having the fill really make you fill full?

I too have had only one fill and they gave me 1cc in a 10cc band. Needless to say, I feel like a bottomless pit! I can't wait until I get my next fill on the 28th of November. It has been pretty hard to behave when I KNOW that I can eat.

I hope the next time it turns out better. I feel your (hunger)pain.

Hungry, not getting enough calories, and mixed messages...

I was banded 11/09/07. The hospital sent me home with guidance to drink only "clear liquids". The first two days after surgery I didn't want to eat, then I started with the clear Isopure, broth, Jello thing. I swear, two days of that and I wanted to scream. I am so afraid to take a regular drink of Water because I am afraid I would barf. Yesterday I called the surgeon and he said do full liquids not clear. THANK GOD....

Today I am making some progress with creamy Soup, but still lacking in calories....

HI was banded on Nov 1 and as of this past Monday have been eating most things going for a fill today as I am cnncerned that I am eating too much- you folks are making me nervous that my doc is moving too fast - had surgery at NYU and theyare supposed to be tops

I was banded on 1 Nov as well and have been on mushies for 2 days. Can only eat 1/2 cup per sitting. Has your dr given you a restriction on how much you can eat? They are all so different... I assume they know what their doing.

I was banded on 1 Nov as well and have been on mushies for 2 days. Can only eat 1/2 cup per sitting. Has your dr given you a restriction on how much you can eat? They are all so different... I assume they know what their doing.

I was on Protein liquids for the first two weeks, 4 0z per hour

Mushies - 1 week - 1/8 - 1/4 cup solid portions with fluids still

Soft/chopped - 1 week - 1/4 - 1/2 cup solid portions along with fluids

Timeline:They also said that it should take 20-30 min to finish these small portions... whatever, they get too cold. I take about 10 min to eat that small amount.

They are all a little different. I'm trying to stick to smaller portions. Like for lunch I have 1/2 cup of bean Soup, but I have 1/4 cup each half hour. that helps me. I'm worried about stretching out my pouch too soon.