Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hi from CT--Cigna comments?

I haven't posted much, but here goes: In May, I started the 6 month MD supervised diet my insurance (Cigna) requires. This Tuesday is the 6 month visit, and my MD will fax his notes to my bariatric surgeon that day. I've had : endoscopy, sleep apnea, cardiac stress test, ultrasound to both legs to rule out blood clots, psyche and nutrition eval--been through it all!!! Due to gallstones, I had my gallbladdere out on 10/23, done by my bariatric surgeon, Dr. Craig Floch of Fairfiels Bariatrics.

I have lost NO weight, but Doc feels I will be approved due to my BMI of 51 and co-morbidities. So now, it depends on how long Cigna takes to ok me. I'm hoping to have the lap band done before 12/31, due to $$$$$$$--I've already met my insurance deductibles for this year.

On Monday I will be a 3 year survivor of stage 3 ovarian and peritoneal cancer--I am also on Soc Sec disability because I have wicked arthritis all over my body. Hoping the weight loss will help diminish the pain to my back, knees, ankles, feet. I've already had a shoulder replacement.

So that's my story---can anyone contribute experience with Cigna? I know they can be a drag,:whoo: although I have no complaints as far as my cancer and arthritis treatments. With an 85% recurrence rate, my oncologist and I want me to be pain free and be able to do more of what I'd like and believe weight loss will open that door for me. I am a stubborn and determined person, but have just never been able to be successful at permanent significant weight loss.

Well-----that was long, hope not too much information!!! ;)

Carol in CT

Hi poodlecamper!

I have cigna ins also. It took about a month to get an approval/denial letter from them. I was denied on my first attempt, but it was due to not enough info being submitted. My PCP immediately got in touch with them and faxed what they wanted, and I was approved within a week. I also had to do the 6 month diet. I lost 20 lbs, but cigna didn't seem interested in how much I lost - just that I had followed their requirement of a 6 month Dr supervised diet.

CONGRATULATIONS!! on being a 3 year survivor of ovarian and peritoneal cancer!

HI,

I am not very familiar with how to use this website so I decided to start posting here. I also have CIGNA PPO and recently found out my insurance will cover lap band in 2008. I don't know how hard it is to get approved, I don't know of any co morb and I weigh about 210 and am 5 feet 1. my bmi is very close to 40 or it may be exactly 40.... I have been around this size for over 4 years I have three kids. The biggest reason I want the lap band is because my dad died from being morbidly obese weighed over 500 lbs at 65 years old and I don't want to end up that big and immobile as he was the last 10 years of life. As far as I can find, family history (my dad is only one fam member, I have several more) doesn't count for much, does it?:help:

Thanks for your responses---I'm going to call today to see where my Cigna paperwork is at---I had hoped for a pre 2008 surgery date, due to deductibles already beeing covered for this year, but I guess there's no sense in stressing about it.

Lots of docs take time off during the holidays, so surgical dates may be at a premium. The waiting begins.

I have cigna insurance and once i completed all the reqirements i was approved within days. I was quite shocked at how speedy it was. I got banded September 13, 2006 and to date have lost 144 lbs.

I would suggust that u start the 6 month diet now so when your company ass WLS to your insurance you can already have a head start on the 6 month supervised diet with you Doctor