Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded 11/9/07 - Need help with Recovery Road

Yeah, I am officially a big wuss... Never in the hospital before, and the last 48 hours have been hellish...

I am starting to recover now, but am really afraid to eat, I almost barfed two times after surgery and aside from the pain, I was afraid my band would slip.

I have only been able to eat a weensy bit, less than a cup of Jello in the last two days, and a couple sips of broth.

Any 0 to 5 day advise you can give this newbie?

Molly:

Do try to get in small amounts of Fluid at a time. I had big nausea issues after surgery too, and did barf many times in the hospital. Once I stopped taking the pain meds the barfing stopped.

If you can't get fluids down because of nausea you should call your doctor and ask for something for the nausea as there are some medications they can prescribe. I know there's a pill, but if you can't take drinks this won't work. There's a suppository that can help if you can't take anything by mouth.

Good luck and I hope things get better soon.

Sue

Yeah, I am officially a big wuss... Never in the hospital before, and the last 48 hours have been hellish...

I am starting to recover now, but am really afraid to eat, I almost barfed two times after surgery and aside from the pain, I was afraid my band would slip.

I have only been able to eat a weensy bit, less than a cup of Jello in the last two days, and a couple sips of broth.

Any 0 to 5 day advise you can give this newbie?

Molly the 1st 2 days are the worst - it gets better each day - you need to get your Protein in as this will help in your healing - also if you are on full liquieds try some strained cream Soups with protien powder added.

Welcome to band land it does get better...

First Off, Did They Give You Anthing To Take For Nausea? If So, Take It....if Not...stick To Liquids...only Take Small Sips Of Water Or Broth...don't Eat Anything Solid..or At Least That Is What My Post Op Diet Was...for Two Weeks After Surgery....just Liquids....

I was banded on 11/9 too. I'm even on liquid Hydrocodone (just ran out) and still in pain because apparently I'm a big wuss as well.

My Dr. gave me Prevacid and an anti-nausea pill (very small pill I take with warm tea) that have helped stablize my stomach very well. I'm still taking it slow and doing broths only.

Are you taking Gax-x strips too? I've found those to be helpful.

The doctor provided very small pain pills and anti nausea medicine. I did a pre-op two week all liquid diet, and my bar iatric group also insists on two weeks of liquids post-op. I have followed the regimen to the T. I have a call in today to see if I am supposed to be on Clear Liquids or full liquids because there are some big differences. The documentation they gave me is a bit contradictory in places. They say no cream Soups, but in other places they recommend Protein shakes, which can be creamy.

I am waiting to hear from them. If I am allowed to have my Muscle Milk lite I will feel a lot better. During my pre-op diet the Muscle Milks really helped to keep me from feeling hungry. I also have the Isopure Ready to Drink Clears that have 40g of Protein in them and they are not completely awful, so I was able to get one of those in throughout the day yesterday.

In addition to the pain, I am having a lot of headaches; it’s probably from sugar and caffeine withdrawal. Last night I had a little bout of depression because I was hungry and all the commercials on TV about food overwhelmed me. My husband was so awesome though, he sat down and held me, and re-assured me that this is going to work, it was the right decision, and he can’t wait to see me and my daughter on the ski-slopes, and he challenged me to a tennis match on May 1<sup>st</sup>.

<o:p> </o:p>

Lots of real pain, but lots of head pain going on too…. Thank God for this forum… I can talk to my husband but he doesn’t have the experience to draw upon.

<o:p> </o:p>

Thanks so much…..

O yeah, the Gas-X strips... I purchased Gas-X that are very small gel pills, not the strips. Is there a big difference?

And, do you feel gas all the time after eating/drinking? I have had some burps (just the regular kind) and I was shocked to hear such noise coming out of me... Is this the surgery gas or is this the result of the new pouch and the closeness of the acid to the asophaugus? (Sorry my spelling isn't what it should be.)

the gas x helps the pain in your stomach cavity. They use gas to expand your innards so they can do the band. Then zip you up and all the gas is inside until it is absorbed. That was the worst pain...not the incisions!

It doesn't take very long to feel better than the first two days. Just hang in there. A heating pad was a real help for me.

Keep liquids readily available wherever you ares sitting and sip, sip sip. I liked warm broth, warm Water, tea, etc. Take your medication as prescribed..don't try to tough it out. I also had chewable tylenol...that would work for the headaches. I quit caffine several weeks before the surgery so I didn't have that problem.

Walking helps as well. If you are feeling hungry, walk a bit, then have some broth. It is VERY important that you stay hydrated.

Be patient with yourself...give yourself time to heal. You will love this journey.