Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

7 months and discouraged

I had my banding done in April and I am only down 25lbs. I have been searching for a support site that will help me boost my confidence and I think I can stop my search now.

I have read many of the encouraging and helpful words that people have posted and hope to adapt some advice to my own life.

I haven't regretting getting the banding done...I'm just discouraged that it hasn't helped me like I thought it would. I guess my issue is the boredom/emotional eating...and getting on to a healthy diet. I grew up with eating what ever was convinent (which was ALWAYS fast food) and now, I'm trying to change that. It's very difficult and the more I try, the more I just feel like eating junk.

Does anyone have advice on how to kick the old eating habits?

Kellyjane:

I'm not sure if you have the luxury to do this or not, as I live alone all week and Daughter is home only on weekends. What I find is that if I only have good, healthy choices at home it helps. It takes planning meals ahead of time too. I find that exercise helps alot too. I walk 4 to 5 miles per day. At night when I am most likely to want to feed my head hunger I find that going to bed early helps. Hot showers help too. I try to do things that never involve food.

Good luck and best wishes for a succesful second seven months.

Sue

Hi Kellyjayne!

I am a night owl. I have trouble with wanting to eat at night. Before I got banded I would snack a lot late at night. Lately when I feel like I want to eat junk at night, I make myself some Chai tea with skim milk and splenda. It also calms my sweet tooth. Like Sue, I also try to plan meals ahead of time. I also do a lot of freezing so I can just pop it in the microwave when I'm on the go. Good luck!

Hey Kelly ... I really feel for you ... But I just wanna say ... we all love food. And i know that the band won't make us stop loving food. It will just keep us from OVER doing it. I am not banded yet but I am really looking forward to it because I eat kinda healthy... and I work out 3-4 days a week. I haven't had any soda in a month!! I am doing really good but I when do have a healthy dinner I will over eat. I grew up in a "struggling" household and my parents didn't always have money... So I was always told clean your plate and I still have the same mentaility about "wasting" food. I feel as though I have to just eat it all LOL... crazy I know!! And I live alone. But I think I have worked hard to change alot of habits. I just need something to prevent me from over eating. But what do you do for a living?? What's making you still emotionally eat?? I think 25 POUNDS IS GREAT!!!! GOOD JOB!!! Just change these patterns when ever you wanna eat something or emotionally or bordem eat pull out a magazine and look at clothes you wanna fit in to!! Start doing crunches or jumping jacks. WHATEVER it takes to get your mind off of that food!! Make a collague of all your goals and whenever you wanna eat go and sit in a room and just stare at that collague and vision yourself being that beautiful women that you are and that you want to be!!! Remember nothing taste as good as thin feels!!! LOL!! Get a bodybugg!!!

Kelly...when I was doing my best I was entering my food intake on one of the websites. It really made me look at what I was eating. I have gotten away from that and need to get back to doing it regularly. I also weigh once a week at the Y when I go for Arthritis swimming class. How many fills have you had? How old are you?

Calorie Counter, Diet Tracking, Food Journal, Nutrition Facts at The Daily Plate

FitDay - Free Weight Loss and Diet Journal

CalorieKing - Diet and weight loss. Calorie Counter and more.

MaryJayne

Don't get discouraged. I lost slowly in the beginning until I reached a good fill level. You are most likely not there yet. Schedule an appt with your doctor for a fill . Another thing that helps with hunger is increasing Fiber and Protein. You'll there it just takes getting to the right level.

was feeling like that too untill i got my second fill last thursday. really working for me now. can feel the weight falling off. i eat what i like really just cant eat much of it.

Exercise really makes it come off so much faster...and get your mind on something other than food...stay busy and don't eat from boredom...get your mind set that you are going to exercise everyday....if you can only walk for 15 minutes..that raises your metabolism and you will see a difference...I bought the "walk away the pounds" Leslie Sansone...they are great...I started with the one mile...now, I walk the fast 3 mile workout..I have lost 62 lbs since April....working out really helps you ...( my ticker shows 57 lbs lost, but I have lost 62) come to this site often and go to the chat room...there is so much support here...

Remember every bite you put in your mouth needs to be healthy!!! I am a nurse and have seen folks with weight loss surgery that are totally unhealthy and look it...I keep telling myself- wouldn't it be terrible to be thin and look awful?? good luck