Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm not a Diabetic but I'm going to start eating like one!!!

I got some shocking news I got this week but I am going to try it and see if it works. I have been stuck for about a month now at around 30 lbs. I don't have restriction and I'm still trying to figure things out but if nothing else, I am proud of only now consuming about 1/3 of what I used to eat before banding. For 4 days this week I have been attending a Diabetic class with my DH. He was diagnosed last summer of 06. The last 2 days a dietician worked with them on food. The last day of class we ate a prepared meal from the hospital (It WAS SO MUCH and even though I don't have much restriction I couldn't eat it all). Then she gave him a diet plan for him to consume 2200 calories a day. This with the exercise plan they gave him should allow him to lose 2-3 pounds a week. They want him to lose about 25 lbs and to do it by February 4 (his next appointment). Another lady was there who is diabetic and about my age and height so I asked her if I could see what her plan was? She is allowed to consume 1700 calories a day and with exercise this would also allow her to lose 2-3 lbs a week. I was shocked at the amount she could eat! So I told the Dietician I'd been dieting (minus the lapband part) and was consuming about 1000-1200 calories a day and exercising 5 times week alternating weight resistance every other day. I wanted her opinion and input based on her experience working with Diabetics. I then went on to tell her I'd been "stuck" for about a month. She almost had a heart attack and told me I wasn't losing because I'd put my body into starvation mode and I was not consuming enough calories!!! SHe said to also increase my brisk walking to twice a day for about 4-5 miles. Of course I am in disbelief but as I tracked what I'd been eating this week I was actually consuming about 1500-1700 and guess what? Today I get on the scale and I had lost 4 lbs. So I'm going to continue another week to see if this is really really true even though I know everyone is different and you have to figure out what works for you. I am scheduled for another fill 11/16 (yes before Thanksgiving-----my family asked me why before and I told them I am not going to center events around food anymore. Really I am sick of constantly thinking about food and getting excited over food gatherings)!! They're amazed , shocked but supportive at the same time on my new journey!!! __________________

I then went on to tell her I'd been "stuck" for about a month. She almost had a heart attack and told me I wasn't losing because I'd put my body into starvation mode and I was not consuming enough calories!!!

Ahhh -- that's music to my ears!!

I've had WAY too many people try to tell me that "starvation mode" is fictional, a figment of my imagination!!

I say JUST TRY LIVING WITH IT FOR A WHILE!!!! Sheesh!!

Anyway, HOORAY for you, Rumar!!!

I'm thinking of going back to Weight Watchers so I can get a handle on getting in enough food so that I keep losing. I was banded about a week ahead of you and I've been stuck, too. I suspect it was because i was so focused on getting in my Protein that I really wasn't paying attention to my calories and probably haven't been consuming ENOUGH to keep the loss going.

Best of luck to BOTH of us!

Thanks Nana. I don't really know if it is true but I am willing to give it a try. I'll keep you posted as I know this is very controversial. I know several on this sight only consume about 800 a day but along with 4-5 times intense workouts are losing steadily. But we shall get there eventually. I wish everyone much much success!