Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

About to be Banded/Orlando Florida

Greetings.....I am from the Orlando FL area and have a banding date for December 11th! I am very excited and NERVOUS! I have been researching this for three years now. Everyone has told me that I won't see good results from the band because I have so much weight to loose (407 lbs), but I was not willing to opt for the bypass surgery. I am finishing up my pre-op clearances: Pulminary & Cardio. I have a breathing test Monday and see the cardio next week friday! I am VERY nervous about the cardio visit. I don't know what to expect. My EKG is normal and bp is 130/82...but I am still scared he is going to make me do a bunch of tests! I was told on the 19th I need to start my pre-op liquid diet for three weeks. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I battle w/ myself everyday if I am making the right decision. If I didn't have my 3yr old it would be different, but just thinking if something happened during surgery and my three yr old would only have only one parent KILLS ME! :cry I do know this.....I trust in the Lord to bring me through and guide me through everything I do. And I also know that I will be a better mother/wife with with some weight off. I have NEVER been thin....so this journey is very exciting and scary at the same time. I am glad I found this site....it is a great way to support one another.

I can't offer you any advice on the actual experience because I'm still in the research stages myself. I will tell you that the lapband is the only weightloss surgery I have considered because like you, I do not want to put my 6 year old through the pain of losing his mommy. I would think any help you (we) could get is better than what we're doing now. I've read success stories where people near or over your weight have had great success with this. Plus I would think that if you started out losing 100 pounds that would be awesome motivation to start excercising, etc., once you start seeing results. Good luck and I wish you much success!

P.S. I'm jealous for two reasons, one you have a band date and two, you live in Orlando (I'm a Disney freak!)

Take care!

Heather

Thanks for the support JustinsMama! We went to Disney yesterday to Animal Kingdom. We have season passes. This is definitely the time of year to go...not so hot. The finding Nemo musical is SUPER. Hey if you want a good book go buy weightloss surgery for dummies. It will tell you the in's and out's of surgery. I never thought I would get to 400 pounds....that was my limit. I told myself that would be the point I would get medical intervention. I wish you the best of luck! I just joined today so I don't know how to private message someone.....otherwise I would give you my personal email. Keep me up to date!

I sent you a private message. But in the future to send one you just left click on the users name and it will bring up a list and then you click on send someone a private message and that's it!

If the doctors say that you are fine to have it, you will be fine. A cesarean section is more invasive than this. I'm 5 days post op and I'm doing fine.

It looks as though the doctor is doing all of the preop tests to determine your candidacy for surgery, so I would feel confident that you will be in good hands. My doctor didnt do any preop tests because I am still in very good health, considering my beginning weight.

I was told that I would lose 60-65% of my excess weight with the surgery and would really have to work hard to get the remaining off. I figured at my starting weight, 343, that I would have a great start with 60%!

I had surgery on 9/21 and started my preop diet on 9/5. I have lost 38 pounds so far and feel 100% better than I did in August. I haven't had any complications from day one.

The advice I would give is, follow your dieticians plan and get back on track when you fall off, because if you are like me, you will fall off!

If you are determined and honest with yourself you will lose weight.

Good Luck to You!

Congrats on your date!! Try not to worry, it is a pretty safe surgery as far as they go. I am so glad i did it . I feel great. Donna