Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Roux-En-Y or Lap Band

the surgeon who held the seminar i went to, not my doc but another, was pushing the R en Y route as well. Found out why at the end of the seminar. A lady asked straight up the cost of both surgeries, and he tried to back out of the question but the lady wouldnt let him...Lap band he said was 30-40,000..R en Y..70-90,000. I think this might be the reason they push it so much.

My aunt had a by pass two years ago. She lost alot of weight very quickly, but was out of work for 2 weeks. Now shes gaining again bc she never learned how to eat properly and she got stretched out. Even when I am at my loose-est, I have gained enough through this experience to eat way better than I used to...

However, as everyone else has said, it is a personal thing and everyone is different. I love my band and am so happy right now :rolleyes:

good luck either way you choose!

Can someone point me to the study for long term lap-band vs bypass patients? Even just a reference, if the full article is not out for public consumption. I am interested in the 5-8-10 year comparisons.

I have hear something about 8 year loss in lap-band is comprable to 10 year loss in bypass? but I have also heard that bypass patients gain most of their weight back after 2-3 years? I want to find some hard data if you have it. Thanks!

Here's a link to the thread I started when I found that study. I think I linked to the actual study abstract in it. It doesn't have long term (> 10 years) results, but those look promising when you consider the result comparisons up to that point.

Thanks Cathy!

I guess I was hoping for a "thin person fix". Many thin people don't need to exercise (agreed, many do, but many DONT). I tend to go through spurts of exercise. I am 250lbs, on 5'11 frame. I can run 2 miles at any time with a 12 min/mile pace. After training for a few weeks, I can easily run 5 miles, and bring the pace down to 10 min/mile. I run triathlons every other year, and am in general pretty active.

The problem is (as with most people) I sit at a desk 10+ hours a day, and I simply have very little time for exercise during the week. 9 hours of work, 2 hours of commute, 2 hours with my family before my son goes to bed, and then (during winter in seattle) a dark and rainy night from 8-10pm before bed. My gym is 40 minutes away. It just isn't convenient.

And so my hope is to have a lifestyle like a thin person. Not even like a crazy thin person (who can eat anything and not exercise). But like a sane thin person, who, with the help of the band, will keep calories at bay and just loose weight! And when summer comes, and I *want* to run and swim and bike, I can, but when winter is here, and I don't want to, I don't need to!

Can I get more people like Cathy who can say this works?

Also, what is your diet like (when you are not working out?)

If that's the type of lifestyle you are after, maybe the RNY is a better option, because for every bandster who doesn't exercise to lose 100lbs, there are 20 who do have to exercise to lose the same 100lbs.

That said, I don't actually know of too many people who have had RNY who don't exercise either.

With RNY you might lose that 100 pounds faster but if you don't change your lifestyle you will more than likely gain it back. That means eating healthy and EXCERCISE. I know several people that gained 80% of their weight back. My cousin lost all her weight and has kept it off but she didn't lose her weight until she became very ill and had several surgeries due to malnutrition. Sure, she looks great but she is not healthy. By the way, she never excercised and still doesn't.

I know it is a very difficult choice and I am just sharing my thoughts that helped me make my decision.

Good luck!

Originally Posted by seattle_homme viewpost.gif

Thanks Cathy!

I guess I was hoping for a "thin person fix". Many thin people don't need to exercise (agreed, many do, but many DONT). I tend to go through spurts of exercise. I am 250lbs, on 5'11 frame. I can run 2 miles at any time with a 12 min/mile pace. After training for a few weeks, I can easily run 5 miles, and bring the pace down to 10 min/mile. I run triathlons every other year, and am in general pretty active.

The problem is (as with most people) I sit at a desk 10+ hours a day, and I simply have very little time for exercise during the week. 9 hours of work, 2 hours of commute, 2 hours with my family before my son goes to bed, and then (during winter in seattle) a dark and rainy night from 8-10pm before bed. My gym is 40 minutes away. It just isn't convenient.

And so my hope is to have a lifestyle like a thin person. Not even like a crazy thin person (who can eat anything and not exercise). But like a sane thin person, who, with the help of the band, will keep calories at bay and just loose weight! And when summer comes, and I *want* to run and swim and bike, I can, but when winter is here, and I don't want to, I don't need to!

Can I get more people like Cathy who can say this works?

Also, what is your diet like (when you are not working out?)

Well, you can always get exercise equipment for your house, so that you don't have to go to a gym. There is not going to be a solution where you aren't going to have to exercise.

The trouble is, without exercise during weight loss, we lose muscle as well as fat, and when we lose muscle, it takes less to fuel our bodies.

So to maintain during winter when you don't want to move too much, you will find yourself eating next to nothing. Or putting on weight.