Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do You? You know use that word!

Do you use the "N" word?  

4 members have voted

1. 1. Do you use the "N" word?

• No, NEVER!!
    • Yes, but in the past!
    • Yes, what's wrong with saying it...
    • OMG! I don't want to answer this..How dare you!!

Most Black people that speak "ebonics" have a very limited education. It really blows my mind that someone has to speak a certain way for you to respect them. Unless someone disrespects you, they should automatically be granted respect due to the fact that they are a person.

respect is earned not given.

I second that! :clap2:

This is true. Joyouslyme, would you ever respect a white woman with missing teeth, with brown roots showing through her bleached blond hair, a horrendous makeup job, and unmatching clothes from the late 80s early 90s that said things like "This ain't worth the cart it came here on!" "I usedacould do that when I was little" "Oh yeah I know where yer talking about it, you go over yonder and take a left and head then go thataway" These are just mild examples....I wouldnt respect them, because I doubt they took advantage of the education system entitled to people through High School.

I respect people because they're people. I don't look at how they talk. Since I was a spelling bee champ, I'm more interested in that. I just think that it's shameful that respect is tied to the way a person speaks? Unless someone uses curse words in every sentence, I don't withhold respect for them.

I respect people because they're people. I don't look at how they talk. Since I was a spelling bee champ, I'm more interested in that. I just think that it's shameful that respect is tied to the way a person speaks? Unless someone uses curse words in every sentence, I don't withhold respect for them.

Im not going to respect stupidity. The English language isnt hard for those who were born in America and to English speaking families. Not to mention the fact that every school is going to ATTEMPT to teach you proper English and Grammar. Its their stupidity for dropping out in the 8th grade after failing twice. My sister was one of these people. I really have little respect for people who had the opportunity to learn, but did not. Do they really expect to work at McDonald's their entire life? How will they ever buy a dependable house or a car? My sister is lucky that she has the gift of gab and can get away with being an idiot. I dont have much respect for her, I love her, but I dont' respect her at all. Anyone with the ABILITY and the OPPORTUNITY should atleast get through High School. NOW I understand that certain conditions make even high school unavailable to certain people, but these usually arent the people that are idiots, its usually the ones that chose to drop out because it was "too hard". What the Hell? Life is hard, I would give almost anything to go back to high school and not have to work, clean, or pay bills. I really dont have a lot of respect for people who can not hold a decent intelligent conversation. I do respect my mother for what she does for me, for giving me life, and for loving me unconditionally. But as far as intelligence goes she can snap my nerve quicker than anyone else. You can not hold an intelligent conversation without her getting defensive, crying, or thinking that you are calling her stupid...

And by the way, I know that words are powerful, But I was referring to (and I said it in MOST of the posts, if not all) as far as someone else's opinion goes its no big deal what they call you.

"Respect has to be earned"-to me that's the response of someone with a chip on their shoulder.

I respect everyone on the basis of their humanity; until they give me a reason not to respect them. Say...being a racist.

I've never lived in Jasper, thank God, but I grew up in Corpus Christi and my grandfather was the assistant dean at A&M, so I've spent plenty of time in Bryan-College Station. My family never has used the n word, we just call everyone the same thing: "people".

Jodie, please don't try and lessen the horror of what was done to James Byrd by claiming it was a drug deal gone bad, or that black men have done the same thing to a white man-unless you can direct us to legitimate news reports that verify what you say. Small town gossip from Jasper doesn't cut it, whether you've ever waved to Mrs. Byrd or not. As far as the 3 men in the truck not being racist; do you think they would have ever tied up and dragged a drunken white man-even if it was a drug deal gone bad?

Why shouldn't we use the n word? Because of the Jena 6, and the return of the noose as an intimidation tactic. Because of James Byrd and Tulia. Because while Nancy Grace was obsessed with a white girl in Aruba, black mothers couldn't get local news channels to pay any attention to their missing children. Maybe these are new times, but some of the sos applies. Just because we all drink from the same Water fountain doesn't mean racism isn't still rampant in America; and frankly to hear a white woman complain that she's experienced racism herself makes me laugh. You can't get into a black college? I hope that's not the best example you can come up with.

respect is earned not given.

Respect for others as human beings should never be earned. I disagree with how someone speaks should be a basis for whether I respect them or not. Whether I like them may be another story, but respect is always given. How can I expect someone to act respectful of me if I am not giving it to them?

I would never use the N word, nor do I hold company with those who do. It is a form of abuse and punishment, plain and simple. I don't want to be called a Whore or something like that based on the way I look so why in God's name would I ever call someone a name with racist connotations attached?

before this gets out of hand, I said I respect "black people more"

and I do think a way way to defeat racism is for people to take away "hate words" ability to hurt you.

Hell, I am called a beaner, poncho, spic, wetback, etc. at least once a week. I give those words power over me, I choose not to let them have any power over me.

Most Black people that speak "ebonics" have a very limited education. It really blows my mind that someone has to speak a certain way for you to respect them. Unless someone disrespects you, they should automatically be granted respect due to the fact that they are a person.

I very much agree with you on this. I do not buy into the saying that respect is earned. Being raised in the South, we were taught to respect our elders, people of authority, adults, well just about everybody until they did something to show otherwise. And then you tried to understand and move on before disrespecting anyone. I have been lectured on my views so many times in my life, but being nice is just easier and feels better.

I was raised with the idea that 'respect is earned not given' so are you all calling my parents bad parents?

also white people who think they are qualified to speak about racism amuse me, possible new thread on this subject later if I have time.

Everyone has my respect until they lose it. Well, everybody except telemarketers but I am trying to work on that.

before this gets out of hand, I said I respect "black people more"

and I do think a way way to defeat racism is for people to take away "hate words" ability to hurt you.

Hell, I am called a beaner, poncho, spic, wetback, etc. at least once a week. I give those words power over me, I choose not to let them have any power over me.

I could be wrong, but I think that Derrick meant "respect people more" and he mentioned the word black people because we happened to be talking about black people, but what I can understand from what he said is that he respects people that talk respectfully more than anybody that may talk using vulgar language or cursing, which could come from a black or a white or hispanic person...

I'm not sure if I'm explaining myself right... but I just don't think he meant it in the wrong way and by my previous post on this subject you all know how I feel about derrogatory racists words, I absolutely hate those..

In my personal experience, I've heard hispanics, black people, white people talking very careless, using vulgar words and I personaly don't find it appealing... it's not that I don't respect them, but it could be a turn off... and I'm including anybody from any race, I'm cuban and I've heard some cubans talking using some very pretty vulgar words and slangs and I really wish they didn't... I would give more attention to them if they could speak clearer, I'm not talking Shakespeare here, but at least clearer, I still respect all as human beings, I would never disrespect them just because the way they talk, but I can't help but think why can't people talk somewhat properly... and education maybe a factor, but at the same time, I've met people that barely have a high school diploma and some that didn't even graduate and they talk more properly...

Am I making any sense here? I'm sorry, I feel like I'm rambling on...

I very much agree with you on this. I do not buy into the saying that respect is earned. Being raised in the South, we were taught to respect our elders, people of authority, adults, well just about everybody until they did something to show otherwise. And then you tried to understand and move on before disrespecting anyone. I have been lectured on my views so many times in my life, but being nice is just easier and feels better.

I totally agree that being nice is easier and feels great!

As for white folks and racism, I believe that Derick has a made a very good point. I don't believe that anyone of us can really get it except on an academic level. That being said, I have had some experiences of racism and I am so white that I have to wear #50 sunblock. My father's side of the family is Jewish, you see, but because I don't look Jewish I have been listening for years to all kinds of truly ugly crap about the Jews ever since I left white collar land in order to join the union as a blue collar worker. This always hurts horribly.

On the other hand, I have never been stopped or discouraged from doing something solely because of the colour of my skin. Nor have I had people walk up to me and insult me or my family because of the colour of my skin. This would hurt far, far more.