Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November Rain... I mean, Surgery!

Hi everyone! I just recently discovered these forums and wanted to introduce myself!

I am a 33 year old woman from a big city in northeastern US, and I was just approved for my surgery! Within one phone call, I was notified of my approval AND given a date. It's 11/20/18. My BMI is 45.8, I look/feel sick all the time, what with dark circles, my avoidance of strenuous activity due to body pain, a constantly flaring skin condition and, obviously, the excess weight I carry. I have binge eating disorder, which I'm attending therapy for starting next week, too.

I'm having VSG, and not many people in my life know outside of some select friends and my coworkers (we're in healthcare & very close). I have some support (mostly at work), but because of my social community and family's views, this sort of surgery isn't exactly something people get excited about. Body, gender expression, femme positivity is where it's at among my peers. My family is not supportive of this decision at all.

Despite all that, for the reasons I mentioned above, I'm having VSG surgery done because I'm just over it and I want more from life than this. I'm excited/terrified! I follow a lot of people (mainly ladies/queer folks) on instagram, but I don't feel comfortable sharing my intentions on that platform. So, here I am!

Any November dates for surgery out there? Can anybody maybe relate to my lack of support and have any advice? Just wanna be friends? :)

Thanks for reading!

Edited by AddyPose

Alright first off, cute name, 💟

Second do it for WHATEVER REASON you want to do it for. To be healthier, wear heels again, see your grandchildren, make your ex mad, ride a rollercoaster, have a baby, wear bodycon dresses, climb a mountain, etc. I sincerely think all reasons are valid/important/worthy don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Your life, your journey, your way!

Last, rain causes growth...

CONGRATS!

Edited by GreenTealael

11 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

Alright first off, cute name, 💟

Second do it for WHATEVER REASON you want to do it for. To be healthier, wear heels again, see your grandchildren, make your ex mad, ride a rollercoaster, have a baby, wear bodycon dresses, climb a mountain, etc. I sincerely think all reasons are valid/important/worthy don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Your life, your journey, your way!

Last, rain causes growth...

CONGRATS!

Thank you thank you! I didn't expect any response, let alone one this nice! Thank you, I might print this comment out and hang it on my mirror!

Congrats on the approval! I know it can be a very exciting and scary time but staying positive and focusing on your goals will keep you moving forward. Hopefully those that disapprove will come around, you are doing this to better your life so that you can live a richer, more complete, and longer life. What better reason is there?????

You will do great!!!!!! I'm not having surgery until December. I had my lap band removed last month and VSG had to wait until I recover. I'm not too far behind you, maybe we can be a support system for each other???

Best wishes!

On ‎9‎/‎12‎/‎2018 at 11:20 AM, AddyPose said:

Hi everyone! I just recently discovered these forums and wanted to introduce myself!

I am a 33 year old woman from a big city in northeastern US, and I was just approved for my surgery! Within one phone call, I was notified of my approval AND given a date. It's 11/20/18. My BMI is 45.8, I look/feel sick all the time, what with dark circles, my avoidance of strenuous activity due to body pain, a constantly flaring skin condition and, obviously, the excess weight I carry. I have binge eating disorder, which I'm attending therapy for starting next week, too.

I'm having VSG, and not many people in my life know outside of some select friends and my coworkers (we're in healthcare & very close). I have some support (mostly at work), but because of my social community and family's views, this sort of surgery isn't exactly something people get excited about. Body, gender expression, femme positivity is where it's at among my peers. My family is not supportive of this decision at all.

Despite all that, for the reasons I mentioned above, I'm having VSG surgery done because I'm just over it and I want more from life than this. I'm excited/terrified! I follow a lot of people (mainly ladies/queer folks) on instagram, but I don't feel comfortable sharing my intentions on that platform. So, here I am!

Any November dates for surgery out there? Can anybody maybe relate to my lack of support and have any advice? Just wanna be friends? :)

Thanks for reading!

Hello and congrats on getting approved! I just got approved myself and will also be getting the gastric sleeve done in November, I think on the 6th. I have only told a few people and don't want everyone to know about my upcoming surgery especially at work.

One of my coworkers is the one who first introduced me to the sleeve procedure (she had hers done in 2015) and her mother was not supportive of her surgery at all. However, her mother come around once she saw how her daughter was succeeding with her weight loss and overall health. I hope that this happens for you and that your family becomes supportive but if not just remember why you are doing this in the first place-for you.

I just joined this board but everyone seems to be supportive so come here with any concerns or questions that you have. If there isn't one already, we could make a November sleeve group:)

19 hours ago, nelliesa21 said:

Congrats on the approval! I know it can be a very exciting and scary time but staying positive and focusing on your goals will keep you moving forward. Hopefully those that disapprove will come around, you are doing this to better your life so that you can live a richer, more complete, and longer life. What better reason is there?????

You will do great!!!!!! I'm not having surgery until December. I had my lap band removed last month and VSG had to wait until I recover. I'm not too far behind you, maybe we can be a support system for each other???

Best wishes!

Hi! Let's do it! I love the idea of having support. To be perfectly honest, I haven't even started any kind of diet change because the surgeon's office I see doesn't require me to lose any weight prior to surgery. So I'm nervous as hell so far. I've heard lap band doesn't work, was that your experience as well?

9 hours ago, AddyPose said:

Hi! Let's do it! I love the idea of having support. To be perfectly honest, I haven't even started any kind of diet change because the surgeon's office I see doesn't require me to lose any weight prior to surgery. So I'm nervous as hell so far. I've heard lap band doesn't work, was that your experience as well?

Personally, I had a terrible experience with the lap band!!!! I was throwing up A LOT. Most of the time I would take one bite and it would get stuck. Sometimes I would take a sip of Water in the morning and would end up throwing up for 30 minutes, and that's on an empty stomach. I didn't lose weight and eventually the band slipped and needed to be removed. I had such a terrible experience that when people tell me they are getting the band I always tell them my story. I even told my doctors office that they could give my number to patients considering the band and have questions. I'm so relieved to have it out. I'm not used to eating a meal and not having to stop because its stuck. I had the band for a long time, too long!!!!!

I'd advise you to start practice eating slower and chewing your food really really well. Even if you're not dieting eating slower and chewing more will help for after surgery. Also, I'd stop eating and drinking at the same time. After surgery you won't be able to eat and drink at the same time, the more practice you have the better. Some people really struggle with that as they are so used to taking sips while they eat.