Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Southern Ca. Kaiser Banders?

Hi this is my first post, I'm a kaiser member in southern california and I aske my Doctor to refer me to a bariatric surgeon because i'm 325lbs with a bmi of about 45. My Doctor was supportive, he said the Lap-Band was an option for me. My Doctor said I would first have to take weight management classes and not miss any class or it would be counted against me, then I would have to go to a bariatric class and then I could meet with a bariatric surgeon.

Has anyone been throught the Kaiser process? How long does it take and what roadblocks might I come to. I'm disabled with a back injury and Diabetic with some complications and I have an enlarged liver "NASH".

Thanks,

Ed.

Ed -

I am from Northern California and just want to say I'm glad to hear more Kaiser's are offering this proceedure. I hope the process goes quickly for you.

I was under the impression that So. Calif Kaiser did not cover lap-bands at all - has that changed now? I'm going to Mexico and paying out of pocket because the only surgery So. Calif Kaiser would approve me for is the full gastric bypass.

I wasn't impressed with UCLA (sorry weighing patients on an old Iron meat scale is humiliating - spend some $$ and get an up to date scale for your specialty program) and only having 1 administrator in charge of their entire program is simply not effective. I took all their classes, saw their psych and passed everything - but just didn't feel good about it.

-This is my first post, so be kind!

My mother-in-law recently had gastric bypass through Kaiser here in San Diego. Kaiser contracts this work out to Pacific Bariatric Center. I do know that they are working on proctoring the Lap-band as I recently contacted them. Kaiser made her go through 12 weeks of classes before the surgery. They are once per week for a couple of hours. It is a requirement that all 12 weeks of classes are attended. If you miss one you have to make it up. They have numerous times the classes are offered.

If you are interested in more information, let me know and I will ask my mother-in-law. She has been very impressed with her experience with Kaiser through this.

Hi Ed... I USED to have Kaiser I just recently (Sept) switch to UHC because the Kaiser process was WAY too long for me. I DO have a co-worker/close friend who has Kaiser and is going thru all the steps! I will gladly ref, her to your post and she may be able to help answer questions!!

Thanks for all the quick replies! I appreciacte all the information. I really want to know what to expect from Kaiser. I really can't swith insurance because I'm on Medicare due to my disabilities. I've been very impressed with the quality of care I'm getting with my Southern Ca. Kaiser vs the care I recieved in Northern Ca.

Thanks again,

Ed.

When I was first approved by Kaiser, I had my choice of either Pacific Bariatric Center or UCLA - I actually flipflopped because UCLA was in a mess at the time and PCB had good feedback. Then UCLA revamped its system so I switched back to them (I'm in Ventura County and going to classes in San Diego just wasn't going to work).

Additionally, I had to complete Kaiser's freedom from fat program and then had to complete UCLA's 8 weeks of classes. The nutritionist at Kaiser didn't believe in the surgery so each week I was treated to a few of her comments and was even told that I couldn't take the 2nd half of the freedom from fat classes "since I was taking the easy way out, it was a waste of time". UCLA will also have you interviewed by a psychologist - there was only one to go to and she was in Brentwood. I tell ya, it was an interesting experience to say the least! LOL!

Kaiser will cover you provided you do the work - they're really good about it and trust me, I have ZERO complaints about them. I really believe that in a few years, they will cover the lapband in their So. California plan as they now do in the No. California plan.

It didn't take long once you got approval. I can't remember how many weeks the freedom from fat classes were (6 or 8 I think), meeting with the doctor at UCLA for approval (that was basically a cattle call as they set all the appointments for the day at 8am). UCLA never had enough chairs - either for their waiting room or for their classes - it was weird. You then set the meeting with a psychologist and then take the classes at UCLA. You'll also have a set of medical tests to take as well.

I didn't lose the required 20lbs prior to surgery (for whatever reason I seemed to go thru the motions, but didn't see myself having gastric bypass surgery, KWIM?) but if I had lost the weight my surgery would have been scheduled by the last meeting of the UCLA classes.

You do chug along once you're in the system and have approval - then its just a case of completing things off the list.

HTH

I read your post with interest. I am a Southern Calif Kaiser Permanente member, and sure could use some pointers on how your mother-in-law initiated her Lap Band procudure with Kaiser's Southern California program.

Thank you so much for posting your comments!

softerware

Does your friend have Kaiser in So. Cal? Im always hearing how Kaiser is approving people in No. Cal, but never any success stories for us folks down here in So. Cal. I need help my PCP appt is tomorrow and I need to know what to ask for or better yet demand. Please if you can give me some info as to acceptance for kaiser So. Cal. I would be most appreciative.

Call the bariactric department or patient services and ask if they do the band. They should also tell you how to go about the proceedure for getting in the program. That's what I did up here in No. Cal.

Im "LIVID" I just got off the phone with member services and Kaiser So. Cal only covers gastic bypass!!! WTF !!!! . Now here we go with the run around, I guess Ill keep my PCP appt tomorrow and just shoot the breeze and wait until open enrollment next month and switch to UHC. This "ish" is for the birds!!!! I cant get a concrete answer for the life of me!!!! At least one that Im satisfied with!!!!! Its like Kaiser So. Cal. is stuck in the stone ages or something or they are afraid that these superficial folks who only will use it for cosmetic reasons, is gonna abuse it. And in the meanwhile folks like me who need it for serios health reasons, well I guess we are "assed out"!!!! UUGGHH!!!

Okay Im calm.... MUSAHHHHHH!!!! :~)

Kaiser So. Cal has always only approved Gastric Bypass - that's why I ended up in Mexico.

I do know that a lot of their membership has gone outside of the Kaiser plan and had lapbands because I know of a doctor who is trying to become an approved provider for lapband maintenance. So, I think there may be aftercare eventually available, but you're right, Kaiser So. Cal refuses to see beyond gastric bypass (despite the well documented problems). I was told by one RPN in Urgent Care one night that all Kaiser would do for my lapband is REMOVE IT - she then further told me that I should have lost the weight on my own like she did, instead of choosing the most dangerous surgery out there - this was all said while I was in the middle of a panic attack.

I went thru the entire hoopla with Kaiser (took 8 weeks of classes at UCLA - in a room too hot, too small, and in chairs not designed for the overweight - when you could find one). I came out of it and didn't have the surgery! I ended up with my lapband and even though I've just had to have my port replaced (local doctor paid for the surgery himself) I'm SO HAPPY I chose this surgery and I'd do it again with Dr. Aceves in a heartbeat.