Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Losing too much weight

Hi all,

I had the gastric sleeve done April 26, 2017 and due to some complications my sleeve was coverted to a gastric bypass on July 3,2017. My weight on the day of surgery In April was 253 and my weight the day of surgery for the bypass was 228. It been over anyear since the surgery and my cutrent weight is 113 lbs and i am 5’ 6” and I continue to keep losing. Although i have an appetite I cannot tolerate foods and liquids to well without getting severe abdominal pain and nausea. I was told that i need to be Hospitalized and have a feeding tube inserted to help get the nutrition and calories that i am not getting orally. Wanted to know of anyone has experienced or knows anyone who has experienced anything similar to what i am experiencing and if so was a feeding tube helpful. Im so scared and nervous but if i dont do this im possibly going to die if i continue to lose more weight. Any advice or words of comfort will be helpful and appreciated f

What has your surgeon said? Have you been going in for regular follow-ups? I am shocked they would let you go for a year without being able to tolerate real food. Certainly medical issues can occur- blockages, etc. but a good surgeon would have you do testing and figure out what is wrong ASAP. Make sure to keep drinking Protein Shakes or whatever you can tolerate, but get into the surgeon and make them aware of your fears and how critical this has become. I’m sorry you are dealing with this. Good luck. Let us know how you are doing.

I cant tolerate much of anything, i can tolerate 2 -3 teaspoons of rice, sometimes i can tolerate chicken breast, i cant eat nothing sweet, i cant have nothing with any type of milk, no meats. Water or Gatorade i drink in sips throughout the day, I cannot drink any Protein Shakes as all of these things once i eat or drink them causes me severe abdominal pain amd nausea. I have an appetite its not that i dont get hungry because i do i just cant tolerate food

Mass mom,

i have gone for my regular check ups, my surgeon has done ct scans, labs and abdominal X-ray’s , he doesn’t understand why i am not able to tolerate any foods. What i didn’t mention in my first post was that 2 months after the gastric bypass my back went out, i had a herniated disc where there was a disc fragment impinging my sciatic nerve, i was unable to sit, walk or stand, during that time when my back went out i wasnt able to eat anything because of the amount of pain i was in. I was on several pain medications while i was hospitalized for my back. In march of this year (2018) i wasnt able to keep anything down my neurosurgeon who i was seeing for my back had decided to not do surgery because i had lost a dramatic amount of weight amd referred me to go to the ER. There i was admitted and an endoscopy was down and i found out i had 2 very large ulcers. I was put on medication for the ulcer for 2 months had a repeat endoscopy and was told the ulcers were resolved but since then i still have beem unable to tolerate almost all foods. I want to eat but by the time i take a bite or two of food i get pain and nausea and the same thing when i drink anything other than Water or Gatorade and again I drink those throughout the day sips at a time. So my surgeon and my GI doctor both agree at this point a feeding tube is necessary.

Thank you for responding and wishing me well. Will keep you guys updated

I'm so sorry you're going through all this. It's just terrible.

You might reach out to @Ronnysgal It seems like her issues were similar to yours. Good luck on finding a solution.