Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Just came home from the semnair

Ok, I just got home for the semiar. I am still wanting the lap band. I guess I have some questions still. My doc. told me NO more bread, steak or chicken after the band. I am not sure what to think of it. Will I not be able to eat this stuff. I thought that I was able to eat the things that I use to. I am a little upset after this. I am not sure that to think. I just want to know what others have done about this.

Thanks,

Hilary:help::)

Hi Hilary, my doc says that those things are fine if I can tolerate it. The meats will need to be very tender and probably eaten with a sauce and the bread will go down better toasted than doughy. I'm not banded yet so I haven't tried... but that's what I've been told.

P.S. Where are you in Ohio?

Hilary,

I'm sorry I didn't see your first post about Fresh Start... My replies will be a little backward and I apologize!

Your Doc and my Doc are the same Doc... so I'm a bit confused by the information given to you. Was he perhaps referring to gastric bypass patients?

Maybe it was the nutritionist that gave me my information?

If you post your question on the general lapband boards you'll probably get better response than here.

Again, I look forward to getting to know you!

I am not banded yet but I have been reading alot of forums and talk about what they can eat and not eat. I read several people posting and saying that White bread in particular is difficult because there really isn't much to it and its empty calories to eat it compared to say a whole grain bread or something else.

I saw several replies saying they are avoiding steak until they get well underway with the banding diet and see if they can tolerate it but if so, they said to chew, chew, chew until the steak is paste in your mouth and that with this much chewing it will take you a long time to eat a small portion. The ones I read said they had better luck with Prime Rib due to it being more tender and something like a beef stew where the meat is cooked to very tender stage with long cooking time.

Some also have said they have trouble with hamburger - not sure why since its ground up but bottom line, some can eat small portions of beef as long as they chew it and eat small bites.

Last, on chicken, I did see a few people posting that they had some difficulty with chicken but it was the same story as the beef - cut it into tiny pieces and chew, chew chew until you've broken it down well.

Okay, I have to say I am reading what I can and can't eat post surgery because I don't want to have a post surgery let down with feeling like something was kept hidden from me on how life would be. When I checked into Gastric Bypass as a possible option a couple years ago, I was told I could NEVER have sweets ever again. If there wasn't a version with Splenda, forget it, you'd have something called 'dumping syndrome' because with how your internal organs were re-routed for the bypass, the intestines can't handle the sugar hit.

Just some of what I've read. I'm not scared off at all by what I've read. I think I can live with this as long as the fill level in my band keeps me feeling satisfied and not real hungry at a small portion level.

Thanks for all of the info. I am still unsure about all of this. I know what any sugery there are risks. There seems to be more with the band then I want to deal with. My husband wants me to have the bypass. I am not sure if I want to do that far. I think that is a little too far for me. I have to find more info on all of this.

Thanks again,

HIlary

Hilary,

There are risks with both procedures. The difference is that the risks involved with the bypass are more devastating than the ones with the band. Please make sure you research that procedure as well as you have this one before making a decision.

Good luck to you, whatever you do!

I think that the band is the surgery for me. My husband and I are still doing looking for more info. I am still wanting the band. My husband said the bypass. I am going to do what is right for me. I do have a 2 yr old and she is the most important thing to think about when I have this surgery done. I know that there is less time to recorvy from the band. We want to have another child in the future. We also own a dairy farm so I have to think about that too.

Hilary

I think that the band is the surgery for me. My husband and I are still doing looking for more info. I am still wanting the band. My husband said the bypass. I am going to do what is right for me. I do have a 2 yr old and she is the most important thing to think about when I have this surgery done. I know that there is less time to recorvy from the band. We want to have another child in the future. We also own a dairy farm so I have to think about that too.

Hilary

The good thing about fresh start at Riverside is you do not have to decide lap band or bypass right away. You can start the process and decide later which would be best for you. I am going lap band, but my wife has started and is going between band and by pass.