Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hey everyone. I could not wait to get home from work to begin writing. I have read on this forum that there is something referred to as "resetting" the pouch. I am wondering if this is what I need to do. Here's why...I had absolutely no complications from the surgery. I lost ten pounds prior to surgery and now have lost 24 in all. My surgery date was July 6th and I feel that I should have lost more weight by now. I have to be honest, though, to let you all know that I have not exercised at all. I walked religiously in the hospital and the hotel prior to coming home, but once I got here I just wanted to sleep. I have felt like I have no energy. I am taking the recommended supplements but I truly don't have much of an appetite. food seems to almost repulse me but I make myself eat. Weight loss has been slow and steady, which is the best. However, several weeks ago, I was at 196.4 and the scales would not budge. I started eating red grapes and they were so delicious and loaded with Fiber that they helped relieve me of some extra weight and I got down to 194. Somewhere during that period of time I went down four pounds in one week. I have now gone back up to 196 and I am not cheating on anything. I promise. I am just not exercising. I am drinking all of the Water and liquids and taking in all the Protein I can handle. I don't recall overeating, but it's so difficult to know when the food feels like it does in the pouch. I almost always feel full. I am not drinking anything carbonated, so there is no risk of the pouch having stretched because of bubbles.

Have any of you had any experience like this? Has anyone tried resetting the pouch? If so, did it work?

I am going to begin exercising again. Prior to surgery I was lifting weights and going to kick boxing. I loved it. I am by nature very athletic, with muscle tone and I really want the muscle tone back. I refuse to accept that this surgery won't be completely successful for me and I know I have to do my part with the exercise. I know it will lead to more energy, then more, then more. I have ordered lots of things from the store on this site so that I can get more protein. That might help with the energy level, as well. I hope to get some good feedback from this post. Thank you.

The less weight you have to lose, the slower it will seem to come off.

Seems like you are doing fine with how far out you are vs. how much weight you want/need to lose.

Pouch “resets” are usually for people trying to get back on track some years after a weight loss surgery, and likely after some regain.

If you keep eating right and working your program, the weight will come off but in its own time.

You have very similar numbers to me. My weight loss has been very slow. I did get a personal trainer at about 2 months out and I had an Iron infusion. I have built up a lot of muscle and feel good but weight loss has been slower for me than others I see on here. I even had an expensive metabolism test but it was fine. Counting Protein is important. Be patient and slow is good in some ways.

PPmom- this is funny bc not only am I in the same boat as you but my numbers are exactly the same! I was 196, dropped to 194 for a day or two & for 3 weeks I was at 196. I don’t exercise (yet, I joined a new gym that opens in sept) . I was also sleeved In July. I just stick to the plan & keep doing what is recommended & finally the scale budged after 3 weeks & yesterday I was down to 192.5. The less weight you have to lose it will be harder/take longer. Just know if you’re doing what you’re supposed to then the scale/your body will eventually catch up!
Good luck

Track your intake if you don't already. I did not stall but I slowed down quite a bit at 3 weeks. I slowly increased my calorie intake and the weight loss started moving quicker. Like others have said the less you have to lose the slower it will take. As far as exercise I do minimal but the days I walk I notice a much larger loss the day after. I only walk right now and can't walk for long distances or long amounts of time due to back and hip issues so even if you do small amounts you still benefit. Good Luck, You'll be fine.

Thank you for the support. All the best to you, as well!

On 8/26/2018 at 7:11 AM, HealthierME2018 said:

PPmom- this is funny bc not only am I in the same boat as you but my numbers are exactly the same! I was 196, dropped to 194 for a day or two & for 3 weeks I was at 196. I don’t exercise (yet, I joined a new gym that opens in sept) . I was also sleeved In July. I just stick to the plan & keep doing what is recommended & finally the scale budged after 3 weeks & yesterday I was down to 192.5. The less weight you have to lose it will be harder/take longer. Just know if you’re doing what you’re supposed to then the scale/your body will eventually catch up!
Good luck

Thank you, Healthier ME. You know, for those of us who have struggled for so long, once we make up our minds to do something like surgery, we want results! Right?! So, I know I have to be patient. I have been wearing these jeans that looked like I got them for a family of five -- that are hanging off of me -- because I didn't want to buy anything until I hit my goal. So I dug through some old things that still had the tags on them, having bought them thinking I would diet my way into them. LOL! Yay! This morning I am wearing a brand new pair of tight jeans. Weird! I don't like tight clothes.

I walked this morning and I am wondering something. I have seen some people post that they began weight lifting and other rigorous exercise after two months. My instructions were not to begin those things until five months. What were you told? I feel so good and am ready to get back to the gym. I'm thinking I could do anything except core and be fine.

Thoughts? Anyone?

I was told that I have no restrictions as of 4 weeks post op. If your dr approves, maybe start of slow/easy with some light weights? That’s my plan once my gym opens next week.