Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Why am I depressed?

My surgery date is 12/17.... I go next week for all of my pre-op appts. and start my one month of liquid diet the following Monday. I am down for some reason. I have been eating whatever I want... almost like saying goodbye... and of course I have to start my liquid stuff the week of Thanksgiving.... for so many years that holiday, as all holidays, revolve around food....

1. parade

2. food

3. nap

I know I am making the right decision.. but right now feel really depressed about it..... and when I think about it I get even more upset with myself.. how selfish... I am going to get healthy.. wow... and there are people fighting with insurance companies and just can't have the surgery and I am down about not eating Thanksgiving.... wow.....

:faint:

What you are feeling is very, very normal. For most of us here, food has been our best friend and worst enemy. It is scary and sad to say goodbye. Recently I went through a very stressful time at work and completely lost track of being a bandster. I could actually say out loud that I wanted and needed the food and was SO frustrated that I could not eat exactly what I wanted. I cannnot tell you how many times I was sick in the last couple of months trying desperately to eat too much or the wrong things. Thanks goodness for the band because I only gained 8 lbs and not 80!

I know now that I need a little more psychological support and I am looking for that from my clinic and fellow bandsters. I may even try some therapy.

Don't be scared off - what you are doing is giving yourself the best gift in the world. Holidays will come and go, but you may not be here for future ones if you won't take control of your health now. Understand and embrace your sadness and depression and then you will be ready to let it go for a more positive outlook.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Susan

Been there, done that. What you're feeling is oh so normal. You wouldn't be human if you weren't having a ferris wheel of emotions. It's excitement, fear, anxiety, etc. all rolled into one.

I remember being in the hospital, IV in arm...ready to go in - and said "What am I doing to myself!?"

What I did for myself was: drop about 4 sizes, lowered my blood pressure, lowered my blood sugars, dropped off alot of medications, and put myself in a great frame of mind. I am definately a work in progress; but I wake up now, feeling so good about my decision.

Best of luck.

It sounds like you may be 'mourning' the loss of food as you have known it in your life up til now, and that's normal for a lot of people. Hang in there! Look for support all around you, professional and otherwise. Good luck!:)