Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

November 1st Bandsters -- Can you believe it's been a week already?

Hi everyone,

I was also banded on 11/1. I've lost 10lbs since then but not for reasons to be proud of. I have had excruciating gas pains everyday. Sometimes in my gut, shoulder, and jaw. Othertimes in my hips and down my legs. Drinking makes it worse. My surgeon is very strict about what we are allowed to have after 5 days. He is insistent on liquid shakes for the next 2 weeks. The shakes in his office sent me into the bathroom for hours. Waited 24 hours and tried again. Same thing. Yesterday the gas was so bad that I could barely sip Water. I spent a few hours last night in the ER on an IV. They x-rayed the band and found a huge gas bubble. Tried Mylanta and Gas-X but this sucker won't pop. Everyday, I'm wondering why I voluntarily did this to myself. Anyone else having such awful gas pain? What did you do? Wonder why some of your doctors are letting you have mushie foods already when mine wants us to wait 2 more weeks. I heard that he likes to get his patients to lose as much as possible in the first few weeks but this can't be healthy. I'm only getting in about 200 calories a day. They're letting me have Dannon fruit smoothies now but that's it in the way of calories. Their shakes, if I could tolerate them, are only 400 calorie a day. Any ideas for the gas pain?

Sorry to hear that some of you are experiencing such horriable gas pain. I guess I am fortunate that my gas is pretty much gone. I have noticed that when I do eat or drink something I get a little trapped gas but nothing as bad as what some you you have described. I hope things get better for you all soon.

My post op isn't until Wednesday but last night I was able to have some soft veggies. I had about a cup of steamed, very soft veggies with a little salt and pepper on them. They were so good and everything went down well. The swelling in my stomach must be gone because even after eating that I was still hungry. I waited about an hour and had a sugar free fudge bar. Needless to say I went to bed still hungry! I can't wait to get my fill! Today I am going to try a baked potato with a litte low fat cheese and see if that satisfies my hunger at all.

It has gone by so quickly! And one more week and I'll be able to add blended and creamy liquids! I could live on sugar-free pudding! ;)

How are y'all doing?

Hi, Longhorn! Glad to hear things are going well for you. I finally got a surgery date, Dec. 4th. They take the "harder" cases first, so it may be afternoon for me. I don't know what I'm gonna do with no coffee that morning! I appreciate your posts, and was wondering how you were doing. Lookin' forward to the Longhorn vs. TX A&M game!!

Hi, Longhorn! Glad to hear things are going well for you. I finally got a surgery date, Dec. 4th. They take the "harder" cases first, so it may be afternoon for me. I don't know what I'm gonna do with no coffee that morning! I appreciate your posts, and was wondering how you were doing. Lookin' forward to the Longhorn vs. TX A&M game!!

That's great! Once you have the date, everything else seems to fall into place. I was kept busy with all of the other appointments leading up to surgery so the time seemed to pass quickly. Glad to hear you're not a "hard" case. ;)

I just got back from my one-week post-op appointment. I have a little redness around my port incision that my doctor wants me to keep an eye on to make sure it's not infected. He told me to watch for a widening of the band of redness and to call him if that happens -- he'll prescribe antibiotics and drain it, if he has to, which he said is no big deal.

One more week of Clear Liquids and I get to expand to full liquids! I had some chicken broth with powders?utm_source=BariatricPal&utm_medium=Affiliate&utm_campaign=CommentLink" target="_ad" data-id="1" >unjury when I got home and it tasted so good! I had been avoiding the Unjury for awhile in case it caused the bloating I had after surgery but I think that was just due to the surgery. It's good to get off the sweet stuff now and then!

Thanks for asking and good luck getting all your ducks in a row! :clap2:

Nessa, you are so lucky that your doctor allows you to eat real food already! My gas pain is a bit better and I'm hungry. I'm trying some new shakes that my doc got in his office but I would kill for a baked potato. I don't understand why there are so many different directions for post op.

Help! I'm techno challenged. I created a diet ticker on the ticker website but I can't figure out how to add it to my messages. Please help.

Hi, Cindy.

Copy the code that's in the top box where you created your ticker. Then on this board, click on UserCP at the top of any page and then click on "Edit Signature." Paste the code into the signature box. You can click on Preview Signature below the box to make sure it looks okay.

Good luck!

2 weeks later and all is well. Have been on mushies the last couple of days... nice change.

Hey Sades,

Lucky you! My doc isn't letting me go on mushies until Monday. Why is your doctor nicer than mine? What kind of things have you been eating? Are you hungry?

Had my post op today. Everything looks great and is going great. I've lost 9lbs and now I can join Curves! I go on December 12th for my first fill and I can't wait!!!!

Hey Sades,

Lucky you! My doc isn't letting me go on mushies until Monday. Why is your doctor nicer than mine? What kind of things have you been eating? Are you hungry?

Lucky I guess Cindy !! :biggrin1: I have had blended home made stews with either red meat or chicken and veggies. I have 1/2 cup for dinner and am quite full when finished... hard to believe isn't it.

My food intake has been as follows:

Breakfast: 1 weetbix in skim milk - 1/2 cup

Mid morning: 1/2 skim latte

Lunch: 1/2 cup tuna, smooth ricotta cheese & mashed potato

Afternoon Snack: Small low fat choc mousse

Dinner: 1/2 cup blended stew

After dinner snack: 1/2 cup low fat jelly & light custard

Of course I try to drink Water through the day but not as much as I should. I also have a popsicle later in the night.

Today is my first day on mushies, including blended Soups. Up to now, it's been Clear liquids and SlimFast only. I did get a headstart last night -- I had a Jello sugar-free pudding. It was very satisfying!

After I have my Vitamins, which are a meal in themselves, I'm going to fix some oatmeal. Then later, I'll have some pureed cottage cheese and a Soup-at-Hand (drinkable soup). It's going to be more challenging to get all the Protein in without relying on the SlimFast shakes -- I'll probably still have one or two of those as I get used to this stage. I'll be on it for four weeks!

My port incision looks much better and is not sore any more since I started the antibiotics Monday evening. I've been religious about taking them!

Yesterday, a colleague that I haven't seen in awhile told me I looked really nice. No one at work knows I'm doing anything to lose weight. I don't know how much weight I've lost -- I only weigh at the doctor's office -- but I can't imagine that it shows already!

Longhorn - I'm glad the port incision is healing better now. I've also had people tell me that my face looks a little thiner. I've lost 9lbs so I don't understand that but everyones knows about my surgery so maybe they are just trying to be encouraging. When will you be getting your fill? I found out that my first 3 fills are free and any after that I will have to pay for then file through my insurance. I guess that isn't too bad.

Vanessa:

My next appointment is scheduled for December 14 but I may reschedule. That is also the day I'm supposed to start on soft foods and my mother's 75th birthday party is the next day. It's not the best time to go back on Clear Liquids, etc., or if that's not my doctor's after-fill diet (I don't know yet), then I don't want to be trying out soft foods at an event like that right after a fill. So I'm thinking I'll reschedule for the next week. It's not even a case of wanting to be able to eat. I just don't want my eating issues to in any way detract from my mother's special occasion. Not eating at all or sipping on broth or Slimfast will prompt questions or comments, even though nearly everyone there knows about my surgery. For this occasion, I'd just like it to be no big deal.

My fills are free for the first year. My insurance doesn't cover any part of this. Sometimes we do lose in the face first, so maybe your friends really are noticing! :)