Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Talk about ID bracelet..straight from the ER

There is another thread about medical id bracelets and I just happened to have an instance were while I was concious, could not speak.

After getting better I asked the ER staff..doctors, nurses, technicians, the xray guy, etc...about the Medic Alert Bracelet.< /p>

In the instance of a lap band...the ER will give NSAIDS...so don't worry about when you hear "no nsaids"...that's for continued use. The ER will give the NSAIDS because a dose or even two, three...will not harm anything.

As far as having a tube down your esophogas...he said that is rare as most get their fluids through an iv or a feeding tube to the stomach from the abdomen... not from the esophogas down.

You may hear...what if they tear my esophogas... it happens to unbanded patients...so being banded, they would simply repair the tear just like anyone else.

So many make being banded out to be more than it is. Now, don't shoot me as this is just my experience in the ER this week.

For those of you who are considering the gastric band...but the thought of having to have a medic alert bracelet just makes you reconsider or not do it.... don't fear. You don't have to have an id bracelet. This from 3 surgeons, 1 here, 1 on the east coast that was asked, and one in Mexico that was asked. Plus an ER staff said the same thing...it's not necessary.

If you were unconcious and they put a gown on you...they will see the 5 incisions, when doing an xray...they see the band. They will know if something is up.

That's pretty much how I look at it too.

And my doc himself said re NSAID's which I was taking for my heel when I had surgery - a few doses here and there isnt going to do any harm, so if you have an injury, take them. Just not long term.

But that's true for non banded people too, things like ibuprofen are dangerous over the long term.

I have a card in my wallet with the info (and also the Rx I take).

My first thought is, if I am out of it and need CPR or anything, I'm not real concerned about them damaging the actual band. (Due to port location, I think in a cpr situation it would likely get broken or dislodged).

But, any other instance, I figured they'd see it. They'd be doing some kind of scans on you if you're knocked out. And I'm with someone 90% of the time and everyone knows I have the band, so they'd tell.. or they could call my emergency contacts in my phone or however they find out that info, and they would tell them.

I wnet for an xray yesterday and told the I had the lapband and they had no clue what i was talking about. Kinda worried me a bit after hearing that. But it iddient make a difference for the xray and it is kinda cool you can see the band inside

Sorry but I have to put in my medical $0.2...

Tubes that go down your esophagus are not only for feeding. Yes, long-term feeding tubes go into your stomach through the abdominal wall. But in a trauma situation, the contents of your stomach must be suctioned out to prevent vomiting and aspirating into the lungs. So they put a tube in your nose that goes down into your stomach for such a purpose.

NG tubes may also be used in an inpatient setting for people with intestinal blockages or post-operative care.

The point is that for Lap-Band patients (and I suppose gastric bypass as well) these tubes should never be placed "blindly" in the field or the ER. Fluoroscopy (live x-ray) should be used so that the end of the tube can be placed without accidently pushing too hard and perforating the stomach or intestines.

Personally, I see this important enough to wear a medical ID Bracelet. I have seen perforated bowels and it's not pretty. The one I have is not even ugly!