Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

the band and pills

I take 4 pills each night. 2 capsules and 2 tablets. Unless I am TOO restricted, I have had no problem. I was once too restricted, so I had to resort to opening capsules and breaking tablets where I could, but it's best to verify this is okay. Some 'time release' capsules may give you too much of a dose at one time if opened and taken all at once. Some meds can be made up into a liquid formula too. Your pharmacist could tell you what's available.

help i just got banded and after two days is having a anxiety atack i just dont know how i am gong to hanle liguis for three wweeks any hints

Hi, Julie! How long does your dr. want you on Clear Liquids? How long on full liquids? You can do this, girl! It's very, very important to follow your dr's post-op rules. He/she has those there for your benefit...to let your tummy heal and your band anchor itself before you start running foods through it. Just try to take it one day at a time. Do things that are non-food related to keep you busy. And keep sipping that Water - lots of it - every day so you don't get dehydrated. Congratulations on getting your band!

Julie,

Do you have any medication for anxiety? Were you prone to these attacks before banding? Did your doctor know?

Of ALL the things you have to do when banded, your liquid diet at the beginning is probably the very most important. It is not a test of your character or your willpower or even to gradual make you tolerant of ever increasing textures. The liquids is so that your tummy does not have to churn and grind to digest foods. It is of the UTMOST importance for you to stick with this liquids thing so that your band can heal properly into scar tissue which will anchor your band in place. This scar tissue will not form correctly if you put your tummy to work too quickly grinding and churning to digest improper foods. If the band is not anchored well your band will be more susceptible to slippage later which means your band could be taken out completely. You had this surgery because you want to lose weight and you want to do it safely. You need to take some deep breathes and try to focus on the long haul of this thing. Yes, you are perfectly capable of taking in ONLY liquids for the short amount of time required. Once you get into the mushy phase, you will find that you can satisfy your hunger much better and it will be no time before you are back to eating solids that you are accustomed to. Please do not do anything that will jeopardize your success this early on. We have all gone through this process and not one of us starved or became terribly under-nourished. (We all have plenty on board already, even if we didn't eat for months.) All your body really truly needs at this point is hydration. Simple Water would be fine, but you are allowed popsicles, Jello, warm broths, iced tea, hot tea... if you are on full liquids you can have a party! You can have pudding, cream Soups, even ice cream (in moderation) anything you can get through a straw. (Although, some docs say don't actually USE the straw - gas, ya know.)

You're going to be perfectly fine. And you'll be able to see the weight loss in no time, too! :) That is the goal, after all, isn't it? :)

Please be kind to yourself and your band, just for today, one day at a time.

thanks for the advice i have a few other ouestions with the lap band will you always feel like something is there or is it because i just had the surgury and i am experncing a weird sensation of my abd feeling like it is getting very cold from the inside out i know this sounds weird i probaley just anxious which i never was before i am new at this and want to do everything right i been moving around quite a bit i hope i didn,t hurt my band i am only 3 days post op

Julie, you will feel all kinds of little aches and pains as your body heals. But you should get to a point where your port doesn't bother you. It just takes time. Just drink Water as much as possible, walk around as much as you can comfortably, and be careful not to overdo or lug and tug on anything. Really, you'll be fine!

I have to take several medications, and I am wondering/worring that the band will affect my medication.

Any thoughts?

Back to the original question: Vinesqueen, other people have answered with regard to the size of pills taken. If you're also concerned that being banded will somehow affect the way medications work in your body, the answer is no. Nothing about your digestive system or absorptive abilities has been changed by the surgery.

As you lose significant amounts of weight, your doctor may want to adjust the dosages of whatever you're taking. Just stay in touch with your doctor and keep him/her apprised of your weight loss as it progresses.

thanks Alex, I wasn't concerned about the absorption, because I know that my stomach will still be intact and working like a normal stomach, it was only worry about getting the actual pill past the band.

Very good point about the weight loss though, I haddn't thought about possibly needing to change the doseage of medications after weight loss.

Thanks for the feedback!

Funny about the dosage business -- the veterinarian adjusts my dog's medications precisely according to her weight, but my MD hasn't made a single change in my pills throughout years of ups and downs! Yet another reason to visit the vet.

I've just had a fairly tight fill and am opening the plastic capsules I take each morning to wash down the bitter powder with a smoothie.