Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Food Before and After Photos

4 minutes ago, GreenTealael said:

been thinking of that, just need to find a DR that will prescribe it for me as even though I am in the "overweight" category they don't thin k I am heavy enough :(

Also don’t hesitate to take advantage of the new tools (GLP-1s) ❤️

9 minutes ago, SleeverSk said:

I’m not sure about in AU, but in US medical files sometimes still say history of obesity/Bariatric surgery so that bypasses a lot of issues when trying to explain why you need help losing regain or maintaining weight.

Can others please chime in if they have any information about this?

But either way if you can swing it, they are effective.

3 hours ago, Mspretty86 said:

How much food can everyone eat now? Those of you further out? So many delicious food post but I can only enjoy about 1 cup of food at a time. I'm about 5 months out!

im 6 yrs out in a few weeks, and these days i can eat about 1-1.5 cups in volume in one sitting...more if its salad, less if its's dense Protein or fluffy bread or Pasta.

but i mean, i could eat another 1-1.5 cups after i digest in a couple hours...

further, i don't normally eat low-calorie on purpose...i try to average to 2300 cals a day more or less to maintain my current physique.

you will find that you will be able to eat a little bit more as well as more frequently as time goes by. hopefully you will learn what amounts you need to maintain based on your activity level/health state and adjust accordingly as your needs change.

❤️

7 minutes ago, ms.sss said:

im 6 yrs out in a few weeks, and these days i can eat about 1-1.5 cups in volume in one sitting...more if its salad, less if its's dense Protein or fluffy bread or Pasta.

but i mean, i could eat another 1-1.5 cups after i digest in a couple hours...

further, i don't normally eat low-calorie on purpose...i try to average to 2300 cals a day more or less to maintain my current physique.

you will find that you will be able to eat a little bit more as well as more frequently as time goes by. hopefully you will learn what amounts you need to maintain based on your activity level/health state and adjust accordingly as your needs change.

❤️

Nice thanks! We shall see as time goes on. Right now I will drop weight as quickly as possible while I still have no appetite and a VERY restrictive pouch!!!

I'm 6.5 years out and still have a very restrictive sleeve. But I definitely seem to be an outlier.
I can eat about 4 oz at a time. For instance a Taco Bell taco or small McDonald's hamburger.
But even with small stomach capacity, it's easy to regain. My stomach empties quickly so there's nothing stopping me from eating to excess. I've had to make a conscious effort to maintain a weight I'm happy with. I use both IF and GLP meds. Along with calorie tracking for accountability.

9 hours ago, Mspretty86 said:

How much food can everyone eat now? Those of you further out? So many delicious food post but I can only enjoy about 1 cup of food at a time. I'm about 5 months out!

That seems about bright. I was eating about a cup at 6 months which is what my surgeon advised. Slowly I was able to eat more until I am where I am now. So about a good cup of vegetables and about 3 or 4ozs of Protein. My portions fit nicely on an entree plate (9inches/23cm). Doesn’t matter how large a portion you eat you can still enjoy and try a variety of foods.

Five years out and my restriction is still there too. Not as tight as it once was but it can still shout no stop when it wants too.

But yes, picking is the devil. So easy to lose track of how much you’ve actually eaten and because it’s usually such small portions, whatever you have left of your restriction, isn’t going to kick in. I have specific times I snack and I generally don’t snack or pick outside of those times (of course there are odd times or situations when I don’t stay the course perfectly).

@SleeverSk did you speak to your GP or your bariatric surgeon about GLP -1 meds? Wonder if your surgeon may be more open to you trying it if you only spoke with your GP.

Edited by Arabesque

6 hours ago, sillykitty said:

I use both IF and GLP meds. Along with calorie tracking for accountability.

Hi there,

May I ask why you use GLP if you have effective restriction? Have you experienced any regain?

Edited by Lilia_90

16 hours ago, ms.sss said:

@Lilia_90:::omg im so u are posting ur food again!!! soooo yummmmmyyyy looooking!!!

(do u have a food instagram? cuz i'd totally follow....)

I was in a food photography rut.

Working on that Instagram account!! Thanks for the support :1007_hearts:

21 minutes ago, Lilia_90 said:

Hi there,

May I ask why you use GLP if you have effective restriction? Have you experienced any regain?

Because restriction isn't everything. It's easy to eat around your restriction. Restriction doesn't stop hunger, or food noise, or just wanting to eat food that is delicious but calorie dense.

I had 20# of "good" regain. I got too thin after WLS, and I didn't like how my body looked at that weight. The normal bounce was good for me, and is what I've found to be my ideal weight. Over the last 3.5 year I slowly gained weight. At 20# over my ideal weight, i didn't like what I saw in the mirror. So I got on a GLP routine and quickly and easily dropped the excess weight. IME, GLP's are going to be revolutionary. I'll likely use them as needed to regulate my weight indefinitely.

1 minute ago, sillykitty said:

Because restriction isn't everything. It's easy to eat around your restriction. Restriction doesn't stop hunger, or food noise, or just wanting to eat food that is delicious but calorie dense.

I had 20# of "good" regain. I got too thin after WLS, and I didn't like how my body looked at that weight. The normal bounce was good for me, and is what I've found to be my ideal weight. Over the last 3.5 year I slowly gained weight. At 20# over my ideal weight, i didn't like what I saw in the mirror. So I got on a GLP routine and quickly and easily dropped the excess weight. IME, GLP's are going to be revolutionary. I'll likely use them as needed to regulate my weight indefinitely.

Thank you for answering!

I have always wondered where I'll be when I'm further out and how I would manage regain, I hear a lot of stories of how people who've had WLS resort to glp1 treatments at several years out. It would be great to know how you plan to come off/on it again :1007_hearts:

14 minutes ago, Lilia_90 said:

It would be great to know how you plan to come off/on it again :1007_hearts:

That's tbd at this point. My current plan is week to week keep a low dose in my system that quiets food noise and gives some suppression that makes it easier to IF, but not so much I'll continue to lose weight.

3 hours ago, sillykitty said:

That's tbd at this point. My current plan is week to week keep a low dose in my system that quiets food noise and gives some suppression that makes it easier to IF, but not so much I'll continue to lose weight.

That damn food noise 😩. I am so glad that for right now that little demon is asleep but once further out my ass will definitely be on my GLP. I still get my Ozempic refills but don't use them they are just sitting in the fridge. Do not need them now

Edited by Mspretty86

8 hours ago, Lilia_90 said:

Hi there,

Our surgeons did their very best to educate us in a manner that would be easy for a broad population to understand but sadly WLS is not as simple as restriction driving weight loss.

Check out these excerpts from a review on the Endocrinology of the Gut and the Regulation of Body Weight and Metabolism and also a study that tried to predict outcomes of various WLS on (hedonic) hunger and weight loss :

The mechanisms behind the success of bariatric/metabolic surgeries remain to be fully elucidated but post-surgical changes in gut-derived hormonal peptides, bile acids (BA), gut microbiota, and vagal tone are suggested to be involved (13, 14).

Read more here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK556470/

Bariatric surgery engenders weight loss through a number of biological changes, which alter eating behavior and thereby result in a reduced energy intake, which is the main driver for sustained weight loss. Gut hormones, metabolically active polypeptides secreted along the GI tract in response to fasting and eating, act upon CNS centers involved in appetite regulation and generate either orexigenic or anorectic responses. Following bariatric surgery, gut hormone secretion profiles change as a result of the anatomical changes from the surgery. Altered gut hormone secretion profiles are thought to be key mediators for weight loss following RYGB and SG. RYGB results in a marked rise in meal-stimulated circulating levels of anorectic hormones peptide YY 36 (PYY) and glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1); these changes are also seen post-SG but to a lesser extent. SG, in contrast, leads to a significant reduction in the orexigenic hormone ghrelin, by means of removing most of the ghrelin-producing cell population from the stomach. Ghrelin and PYY/GLP-1 act on appetite-regulating areas of the CNS in an opposing manner, stimulating orexigenic or anorectic responses, respectively [16].

Read more here:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11739-022-03063-0#:~:text=A reduced energy intake%2C as,weight loss following bariatric surgery.

3 hours ago, GreenTealael said:

Our surgeons did their very best to educate us in a manner that would be easy for a broad population to understand but sadly WLS is not as simple as restriction driving weight loss.

Check out these excerpts from a review on the Endocrinology of the Gut and the Regulation of Body Weight and Metabolism and also a study that tried to predict outcomes of various WLS on (hedonic) hunger and weight loss :

The mechanisms behind the success of bariatric/metabolic surgeries remain to be fully elucidated but post-surgical changes in gut-derived hormonal peptides, bile acids (BA), gut microbiota, and vagal tone are suggested to be involved (13, 14).

Read more here:

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK556470/

Bariatric surgery engenders weight loss through a number of biological changes, which alter eating behavior and thereby result in a reduced energy intake, which is the main driver for sustained weight loss. Gut hormones, metabolically active polypeptides secreted along the GI tract in response to fasting and eating, act upon CNS centers involved in appetite regulation and generate either orexigenic or anorectic responses. Following bariatric surgery, gut hormone secretion profiles change as a result of the anatomical changes from the surgery. Altered gut hormone secretion profiles are thought to be key mediators for weight loss following RYGB and SG. RYGB results in a marked rise in meal-stimulated circulating levels of anorectic hormones peptide YY 36 (PYY) and glucagon-like peptide 1 (GLP-1); these changes are also seen post-SG but to a lesser extent. SG, in contrast, leads to a significant reduction in the orexigenic hormone ghrelin, by means of removing most of the ghrelin-producing cell population from the stomach. Ghrelin and PYY/GLP-1 act on appetite-regulating areas of the CNS in an opposing manner, stimulating orexigenic or anorectic responses, respectively [16].

Read more here:

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/s11739-022-03063-0#:~:text=A reduced energy intake%2C as,weight loss following bariatric surgery.

Such great info!