Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frusterated

I talked to my doctors office today about my fill amount and how I have 4cc in a 10cc band. They told me I actually have a 4cc in a 9.75 cc band like that makes such a huge difference lol. Anyway I am going to go nuts I tried to talk to her about my fill amount and they still insist that I am really full. Now they want me to go to a nutritionist because they think I dont know how to tell if I am satisfied or not and that I want to feel full but I should just go for satisfaction instead. Which could be true so I am not against seeing a nutritionist totally but I am angry because I feel like I still dont have good restriction and they dont want to do anything about it. I am so confused I dont know maybe I dont know when to stop when eating but when I compare fill sizes to alot of people on this site it just seems to me that I am not actually that filled. I dont know what to do I have not lost in over 8 months it makes me want to cry. Any advice would help. Thx -Gummie

I have the 10cc band. It wasn't until I was upwards of 8ccs that I felt any restriction. I now have over 11ccs...and I have good restriction.

But being honest - I've pushed the limits one or two times...to see how much it would take.

Are you sure that it is a 9.75 cc band and not a 9.75 cm band. The 9.75 cm band only holds 4cc from what I understand.

They told me I actually have a 4cc in a 9.75 cc band
There isn't a 9.75cc band but there is a 9.75cm band, which holds 4cc.
Lap-band (used generically but actually a registered trademark of Inamed/BioEnterics/Allergan/whatever) comes in three sizes:

9.75cm/4cc

10cm/4cc

11cm (aka VanGuard or VG)/10cc

The first number is the band's internal circumference, the second is it volume.

The new AP bands have larger volumes, but still no 9.75cc.

So what I would suggest first is getting on the phone and verifying which band you have.

If you have a band that holds 4cc, and have 4cc of fill, it's a little more understandable why they would look at your dietary habits first - above & beyond restriction level. HOWEVER, they should not dismiss your reports, and do owe you a bit of investigation (IMO).

So find out what size band and what your current fill level is. If you're close to the max on fill, make sure they understand you don't have restriction. I've seen a lot of people who have to go into overfill in order to acheive restriction.

If you get to the point that you're into that overfilled area and are still not having restriction, then you should see a combination of dietary and medical follow-up. Dietary for an assessment, and medical to check for misplacement/slip/etc. If that doesn't show anything, I would think they'd run you under a fluroscope to see what's going on (unless part of your surgeon's normal program, this is usually a last resort kid of thing because it's expensive and they have to prove need to the insurance provider).

Just imo of course. :D

Goes to show that I am one of those people who do not ask enough qustions about thier band. It makes more sence to me that it must be the 9.75 cm band that only holds 4cc because they said I was max filled. And I am sure she said 9.75 I just assumed it was cc. I will call and verify when I get a chance but that means that me not losing any more weight falls on me and things I must be doing wrong. Time to reevaluate I guess maybe the nutritionist is not such a bad idea. When I got my band I lost a bunch of weight immidately I went from 260 to 175 and there I have stayed for 8 months or so. I guess I should be greatful for the big loss immidately but I must be on the longest platue ever. Sometimes I think I am not eating enough I wonder if that can be a problem. Or maybe I am eating too much and think I am not eating enough because I remember what I used to eat. Anyway thx for your input.

I didn't realize you were so far out post-op.

Did you lose your restriction gradually or suddenly?

It's not necessarily all on you. Your surgeon should be assisting in figuring out what's wrong.

I have never really had alo of restriction. After I first get filled I have some because I think I am swollen. I can eat breads if I wanted and they go down with no problem I dont really have much for PB. I think I remember doing that 2 tims and thats right after a fill. Maybe I have stretched my pouch out some without realizing it. My doctor doesnt do anything under fluro so who knows for sure I have asked about being stretched before and they said at this point we dont think u are. But I am not sure how they came to that conclusion.

If by chance I have stretched my pouch area can u shrink it simply by eating smaller means or do u have to go on a liquid diet? I have asked my doctors if i should go on a liquid diet before because I was thinking I could have stretched out my pouch and they said no. Anyone know if u can shrink it that way?

My advice is to find out what size band you have.

The band sizes in the USA are 9.75CM, 10.0CM, VG, APS & APL.

Allergan states that the maximum fill for the 9.75CM & 10.0CM bands is 4.0CCs. The maximum fill for the VG and APS band is 10.0CCs, the maximum fill for the APL band is 14.0CCs.

Some doctors choose to disregard Allergan's maximum fill amount.

I talked to my doctors office today about my fill amount and how I have 4cc in a 10cc band. They told me I actually have a 4cc in a 9.75 cc band like that makes such a huge difference lol. Anyway I am going to go nuts I tried to talk to her about my fill amount and they still insist that I am really full. Now they want me to go to a nutritionist because they think I dont know how to tell if I am satisfied or not and that I want to feel full but I should just go for satisfaction instead. Which could be true so I am not against seeing a nutritionist totally but I am angry because I feel like I still dont have good restriction and they dont want to do anything about it. I am so confused I dont know maybe I dont know when to stop when eating but when I compare fill sizes to alot of people on this site it just seems to me that I am not actually that filled. I dont know what to do I have not lost in over 8 months it makes me want to cry. Any advice would help. Thx -Gummie