Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Gained all my weight back

Hi! I am from the South so I know what you mean about your family being all about the food. If it's not deep fried or cooked in about 2 sticks of butter we don't eat it lol. I don't have much support from my family when it comes to ANY diet I try b/c of the number of times I have failed. I lost 80 pounds on my own and in a matter of months I put it right back on. I don't have my band yet but I keep thinking about how good I felt when I was smaller and how much I want that feeling again. Don't let it get you down..let it motivate you to do what you have to. This web site is a great motivator and most of the people here are really supportive. I wish you all the best. I know you can do it..after all ...you've already done it once. :clap2:

Sandyray,

Thanks for sharing valuable info for someone starting this process...

I am going to be cheering on your comeback 100% here from Georgia!!

The other ladies have some wonderful advice & info & encouragement. Please come here often for support....

Hey Sandy, Please, Please, Please...don't give up on yourself. If you had the courage to go through the initial surgery, you can continue to strive for success! Use your will power and faith....you and only you can make it happen for you!! I have trust in you.

Sorry you went through this...but thanks for sharing. Now we all know what happens if we don't stay on top of things.

When even a pound is gained it's time to take a look at getting a fill.... is it just hormonal? Did I just eat too much? Then wait a week or two and see if the pound is lost or gain more.

Thanks for sharing your story...keep us posted on how things go for you now.

Hi Sandy:

I was Banded in 2001... lost 95 pounds and then got unfilled for pregnancy. Was unfilled for three pregnancies... so fast forward four years, and now I've just been refilled. I gained back half over the course of four years. So I can totally relate.

One doctor which may be able to help you in Michigan is Dr. Pleatman. He's in Bloomfield Hills. I had a small unfill from him about a year ago. I believe he charged $350 for the first consultation/fill...but less for each following fill. Just a thought.

SANDYRAY....

SWEETIE, YOU HAVE A TON OF SUPPORT AND A BUNCH OF FRIENDS HERE. WE'RE ALL FIGHT'IN THE GOOD FIGHT AND TRY'IN TO DO THE BEST WE CAN EVERY DAY, EVERY HOUR AND EVERY MEAL . I'M HOLDING A GOOD THOUGHT FOR YA ..... :clap2: BEST OF LUCK TO YA !

Welcome to the site and I hope you find here the support you need. I know I have, just from reading what all of you have to say about your experiences made me so happy.

I can't help you with information about fill doctors or anything like that, 'cause I live outside the US, but I just wanted to let you know that you are not alone and that this is just a set back, you still have the band, and I'm sure you will go back to where you were.

Just don't give up!!! we, that have been in this fight against our weight and unhealthy habits need to give each other support 'cause we understand you and can relate with how your are feeling.

I'm from the Dominican Republic, and latinamericans are all about the food, I hate to say it, but even my mom when she is serving me food, for example, serves me a whole plate, even when she knows I wont be able to eat a quater of what is in the plate.

You just need to get on track again, be patient and persevere... and remember if you have any concernes come back to this site..... we will be happy to read you.

I could not find a fill dr. and there were no weekly weigh ins and no support groups. As soon as I was back around my family I started gaining. ...

...My family is no help. We are Polish eaters and family means food. My husband is a big eater and athelete and is no help and very little support. i think he likes me fat.

Honestly, I don't think I'd be doing you any favors if I didn't point out a few things here.

You can find a fill doc. They exist, sometimes you have to travel but they exist.

If you are around your family and you are gaining, you are putting the wrong foods in your mouth.

Polish means food? So does Italian, so does Mexican, so does German, so does the rest of the world.

It isn't up to your family to determine what you put in your mouth.

It is not up to your husband to decide what to put in your mouth.

You do not require his support to determine what to put in your mouth.

Even if your husband likes you fat it is not up to him to determine what you put in your mouth.

I'm sorry, I don't mean to sound harsh but we take responsibility for our own lives, our own weight loss, and our own food choices. Do family make it easy for us? Not always. It's still our responsibility to take care of ourselves.

Your sister did your fill... is she trained in port fills? Did she use a huber needle?

Look at it this way, today is a new day. You are back on track, today you make good choices, you get out there and exercise, and you lose your excess weight. That's the beauty of the band, you start any 'ol day you want. So today is the day! Back to band basics. Solid Proteins first, veggies next, cut out all white carbs. You don't need them anyway. Get your carbs from better sources.

Exercise AT LEAST 30 minutes daily, increase your time gradually.

Make a choice that this is for YOU and nobody else. Get out there and get it done! You know you can, you've done it before. This is not impossible, you have already taught yourself that.

I know how easy it is to put on weight. A pound here and a pound there, you put off taking it off... it's all very easy to do. Well, you KNOW you can lose weight so do it. We are your support system, we will hold you accountable if you choose. Get a ticker for your goal weight and get an exercise ticker.

YOU CAN DO THIS!

Ok so this all scares me... that we can go through the whole journey of surgery and then still find ways to gain the weight back:confused:. I'm only 3 1/2 weeks into this and find that starting on soft foods sure has made a difference. With the liquid diet it was about a pound a day loss. Now it's not! Scares me to eat anything. I don't want to cheat.....I don't want to find ways to gain back anything. I just want to get some of this weight off and feel good.....have energy again. Hopefully it will happen and I won't fall victim to myself and food! By the way try Henry Ford in Detroit for fills,Port Huron Lapband in Port Huron, Hurley in Flint, and Oakwood in Dearborn.

Ok so this all scares me... that we can go through the whole journey of surgery and then still find ways to gain the weight back:confused:. I'm only 3 1/2 weeks into this and find that starting on soft foods sure has made a difference. With the liquid diet it was about a pound a day loss. Now it's not! Scares me to eat anything. I don't want to cheat.....I don't want to find ways to gain back anything. I just want to get some of this weight off and feel good.....have energy again. Hopefully it will happen and I won't fall victim to myself and food! By the way try Henry Ford in Detroit for fills,Port Huron Lapband in Port Huron, Hurley in Flint, and Oakwood in Dearborn.

The band is a lifestyle change. The compulsion to overeat will ALWAYS be there, it does not magically go away. Many of the harder issues get easier with time but this is why it is said time and time again, this is a LIFESTYLE change. Not a temporary fix, not a bandage on a gunshot wound.

Either we are in this for life or we aren't. That goes with any weight loss surgery. Sometimes the best thing you can do for someone is to remind them that excuses are just that. Excuses. If you want it badly enough the band gives you the opportunity to have what we can't without it. Weight loss.

Yes, you can gain all the weight back with a Lap-Band... or an RNY or VSG for that matter. That's why it's really important that you work on why you overeat... emotional eating... etc. If you don't find new ways to cope with those things then yes, you really can gain back every pound and then some.

As for not losing weight now that you're no longer on liquids, that's completely normal. Your Band is designed to work with fills... until you start getting them, you may not lose anything. That's normal. It may take a few fills as well before weight loss happens regularly. That's normal too.