Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Big Losers....come in here please!!!!!

Hi All You Fabulous Losers!

I need to see what you guys think about something. I am pre-op. I just turned 53 on Saturday, am 5'10 and weigh 365 pounds. I "feel" as though I weigh 1000 pounds! So here's the deal.

During the last year, it has become very difficult to stand for longer than a couple minutes and to walk any further than here to there. Not to mention how winded I am. When I wake up in the middle of the night to go tinkle, I have to hold onto the dresser for a moment then I walk like Frankenstein to the bathroom.

Believe it or not, I used to be really healthy and reasonably athletic. I see people who I think look heavier than me and they seem to be more mobile than me.

So here's my question: For my stats above do you think that it's from the weight that I am having such "mobility" problems or do you think it's probably something else? If I go to the grocery store, I am humped over the cart because of low back pain after about 5 minutes! I feel like I'm 100 years old. I live in a 3 story townhouse and you should see me "doing" the stairs!!!! I guess I have trouble realizing that 365 is frickin' huge!

PLEASE tell me that it's from the weight and that after surgery, since I WILL be following the program, this will change. I really want to walk far distances, go to the grocery store, and basically just hang out in target without needing cpr.:help:

Marie

It is most probably the weight. You have described symptoms that I have had and which are getting better since my surgery. But you should talk to your PCP about your lower back pain. I am moving so much better already even though I have quite a ways to go. Are you getting the band?

Hope you feel better soon.

shelli:ranger:

Yes, I am getting the band. I've finished all my pre-op and am now awaiting the surgeon consultation. I forgot to mention, that I have a bunch of that sagging stomach fat from being fat and having had a c-section. I'm sure that doesn't help my back either!

Marieze

You will love your band. It has helped me so much to stay on course and I am getting so excited about losing more weight.

Good Luck to you,

shelli:girl_hug:

Wow! I can't believe how much weight you have lost so quickly!! Fantastic!!

Truly an inspiration. Did you need to lose a certain amount of weight before they would do the surgery?

Marieze

Hi Marieze! What you're experiencing sounds like it is due to the weight. I am 5'5 and was 330lbs at my highest before my surgery. Like you, even walking the shortest distance was hard because I was out of breath and I also had back pain. I started walking everyday about 2 weeks after my surgery. I had to start out slow but now things are much better. My DH and I walk about 2 miles a day. We hope to get up to 5 miles eventually. It takes time, just hang in there. Good luck and take care!

Hi:

It probably is the weight. I was carrying around 324 pounds earlier this year. Some of the things I was feeling, fatigue, numbness in one leg, lower back pain, generally feeling like crap, and got winded alot. I started doing a modified-weight watchers diet 4/23/07. I was banded 7/26/07. I have now low 81 pounds and I am walking 5 miles per day, plus some days I do eliptical too. I lost the numbness in my leg after about 40 pounds lost. I still get tired in the afternoons, but I feel great most of the time. I knew I was ready because it was becoming such a burden to carry around all of these extra pounds. I am halfway there and I am so glad that I got the band because I had a huge appetite that I couldn't control without the band.

Good luck.

Sue

Marie,

you pretty much described me pre-band. everything from holding on to get up in the middle of the night to holding on hunched over the shopping cart. additionally, i would have DH drop me off at the entrance.

that was 13 months ago..

today i run (RUN!!! ... me!! run!!!) and am planning on participating in the Disney Marathon in 2009.

so far i have lost about 139 pounds, i have about 83 more to go.

this has been the best decision i have made for myself - ever. i love life. i play with my daughter now.

i love living life instead of being a spectator.

Hi marieze,

I weighed 382 when I had my surgery, and this morning was 226. I did not have the mobility and stamina issues you are sharing, but I certainly know what it's like to carry around so much extra weight.

There's no way to be certain that what you're experiencing is due only to weight, but it's a good possibility. BMIs that high are nothing but bad.

Even though I didn't have the same issues, I still had them. E.g. a flight of stairs, while I could do it, would completely wind me. I didn't realize how unconsciously lazy I had become - asking my husband to do mundane things for me, like getting me a drink, and always asking to be dropped off at the door so that I wouldn't have to walk from the parking lot. It's amazing to me how much obesity really does breed laziness - whether through need or desire. It's cool because changes in those kinds of things are what zap you one day. You don't notice "Hey, I didn't breathe heavy until the 9th step..." and then "...the 10th step..." -- they're like "Uhh, I just ran up those stairs, and I can still breathe..."

My mother is 55, about 5'7 and weighs probably 330, maybe more. I know that she's now wearing my pre-op clothes which puts her into the area of 5x, 30/32 with the occasional 26/28, but it will still be tight across her stomach (we carry our weight differently, so the size thing may be too relative). Her BMI is probably close to yours. She too has mobility problems. She has been diagnosed with fibromyalgia (debatable, but that's another thread), but I know that if she lost weight she would see improvements.

How could you not?

Hi Marieze I am 57 years old and was 374 pounds 5 weeks ago i am now 334 and can feel an improvement in my mobilty , i suffer from chronic osteo arthritis and and walking is very painful ,i can now feel an improvment and feel sure my back will improve too when my weight comes down more

I had the same back pain 100lbs ago. I'd stand and within a couple of minutes I had to bend over to ease the pain. The weight of your gut can be really hard on your back.

With that said it still would be a good idea to get it checked out. It could be lots of things. An xray might at least make you feel better to know it isn't anything that needs surgical attention. And if there is something going on, you can get it fixed.

For 3-4 years before I had surgery, I was not able to get out of bed without holding on, sometimes using a walker the first hour or so - couldn't hold up to get thru half the grocery store (and I only went to little stores!) - had to get a bench for the shower, couldn't stand up long enough - had to cook sitting in a chair......you get the picture. I was in my mid-50's when it started - I retired at 56 because I couldn't get from the parking lot to the building ----you get the picture.

I blamed all these ailments on arthritis (and diabetes, blood pressure, gout, heart problems).....thought I was ruined for life. But I decided that I owed it to my family to try to do something about my health.

Didn't figure it would help much (scared to hope, I guess).

Anyhow.......50 pounds later I waddled my way into the gym and pulled myself up on the treadmill and walked .1 of a mile. A week later I was walking .3 of a mile. Within 2 months I was walking a mile a day.

As the pounds fell off, and perscriptions fell by the wayside one by one, I could stand up straight and walk farther and farther ( and the walker got thrown out). Now.......18 mo. later - I'm pretty much a normal person. I dont have a great figure but it's sure a lot smaller one. And I won't ever run a marathon, but all I asked was to be normal. I've lost 160 pounds and my little daughter-in-law says she can't keep up with me when we go out together. And my sweet husband, who waited on me hand and foot for 3-4 years, can sit in his recliner while I cook and clean. It's still a miracle to me every day and still gettting better.

My heart aches for you - I understand so well how you feel - and I do hope that this surgery can be half the blessing to you that it has been to me.

I absolutely cannot thank you all enough for your generous responses. I feel so surrounded by understanding from you all. I read your responses and realize I'm no alone. So many of you have walked in my shoes and are living proof that I am doing the right thing. You will never know how touched I am that you shared your stories with me.

In Gratitude!

Marieze

Marieze, I had lower back pain all the time before my band. I was always bending over to try to ease it. I have not had this pain since i lost the first 20 pounds and the more i lose the better i feel. All over! I have much more energy now and really feel great. Best of luck, Donna