Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Will Aspirin/Ibuprofen cause damage

Yes, aspirin in an NSAID and it, along with many other similar meds, is damaging to us (and 'normal' people, too!). Here's a list of all NSAIDS that we should avoid.

Aspirin (Anacin, Ascriptin, Bayer, Bufferin, Ecotrin, Excedrin)

Choline and magnesium salicylates (CMT, Tricosal, Trilisate)

Choline salicylate (Arthropan)

Celecoxib (Celebrex)

Diclofenac potassium (Cataflam)

Diclofenac sodium (Voltaren, Voltaren XR)

Diclofenac sodium with misoprostol (Arthrotec)

Diflunisal (Dolobid)

Etodolac (Lodine, Lodine XL)

Fenoprofen Calcium (Nalfon)

Flurbiprofen (Ansaid)

Ibuprofen (Advil, Motrin, Motrin IB, Nuprin)

Indomethacin (Indocin, Indocin SR)

Ketoprofen (Actron, Orudis, Orudis KT, Oruvail)

Magnesium salicylate (Arthritab, Bayer Select, Doan's pills, Magan, Mobidin, Mobogesic)

Meclofenamate sodium (Meclomen)

Mefenamic acid (Ponstel)

Meloxicam (Mobic)

Nabumetone (Relafen)

Naproxen (Naprosyn, Naprelan*)

Naproxen sodium (Aleve, Anaprox)

Oxaprozin (Daypro)

Piroxicam (Feldene)

Rofecoxib (Vioxx)

Salsalate (Amigesic, Anaflex 750, Disalcid, Marthritic, Mono-Gesic, Salflex, Salsitab)

Sodium salicylate (various generics)

Sulindac (Clinoril)

Tolmetin sodium (Tolectin)

Valdecoxib (Bextra)

Note: Some products, such as Excedrin, are combination drugs (Excedrin is acetaminophen, aspirin, and caffeine).

Note that acetaminophen (Paracetamol; Tylenol) is not on this list. Acetaminophen belongs to a class of drugs called analgesics (pain relievers) and antipyretics (fever reducers). The exact mechanism of action of acetaminophen is not known. Acetaminophen relieves pain by elevating the pain threshold, that is, by requiring a greater amount of pain to develop before it is felt by a person. It reduces fever through its action on the heat-regulating center of the brain. Specifically, it tells the center to lower the body's temperature when the temperature is elevated. Acetaminophen relieves pain in mild arthritis but has no effect on the underlying inflammation, redness and swelling of the joint.

Paracetamol, unlike other common analgesics such as aspirin and ibuprofen, has no anti-inflammatory properties, and so it is not a member of the class of drugs known as non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs or NSAIDs.

* Naproxen Sodium

" Naprelan contains naproxen sodium, a member of the arylacetic acid group of nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs)"

"The chemical name for naproxen sodium is 2-naphthaleneacetic acid, 6-methoxy-a-methyl-sodium salt, (S)."

NSAIDS are damaging to the pouch, stomach and esophagus but one or two now and then is not going to eat a hole in any of them right away. Just don't use them on a regular basis. (I learned this the hard way.....bleeding ulcers from taking arthrtiis meds and ibuprofin 2-3 times a day....had to have transfusions and took me a long time to recover).

I asked my doctor about this since I sometimes take incidiocin for my gout if I have a flare up. He gave me specfice instructions on how to take it with pepcid and only for 2-3 days. He did suggest to talk to your pcp and see if there is something else to take. Thanks for the list Gayle.

Chris

Oh crap I totally forgot about the no Motrin thing. My doctor perscribed my 800 MG pills and I have been taking them for bad migrains and arthitis pain related to my Lupus. I guess I better try to get something else and stop taking those I hope I didnt do any damage.

For arthritis, I use Tylenol or just tough it out. There are perscription pain Patches are are helpful but you have to wear them all the time because they are narcotic and you can't be on and off them all the time just like anything else that's addictive. I also use the adhesive heat patches on specific painful places - that seems to help some.

Thanks for the responses. I ordered some socks that go with my TENS machine. Hopefully, they will work. I've used it with the regular pads and it seems to help. I can't imagine what it will feel like having your whole foot being treated with the TENS machine. My DH will probably have to pry me off of the ceiling. LOL

I really don't want to use narcotics on a regular basis. I know this is one of the options but that's just not me. Of course, if I get in too much pain I may change my mind. Right now my arthritis is in the beginning stages so it's not too bad. My mother has really bad RA and some days she can hardly walk. My sister is showing up with it too so I want to make sure there is some plan if I get it bad.

My PCP said that he will prescribe NSAIDs if I want them. He said that he feels that a lot of this is based more on the bypass than the band. He reminded me of the risks and said that if I want them he'll give them to me. Hopefully they will find something for this if/when I need them. Right now I'll try other things.