Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Newbie here with lots of questions

Wow! Great site.

Hi I'm Jim from Chicago area not sure if I'll ever be "banded" as you say but starting to look around I think my BMI is 36-37 I'm 6'0 6'1 appx 265-275 lbs.

I am in the process to see if I qualify with Ins. I have Blue Cross and had heart surgery when I was age 5 I'm now 36. I'm a non-smoker and light drinker 1-2 drinks per month and have struggled with weight since age 6. My heaviest is right now. I was down to 172 when I was 23 for about 2 yrs but ended up at 225-230 for most of my 20's and early 30's. Now I'm moving towards 40 and weight 270=275 yikes!

I emailed a few places today in Illinois to get information and schedule a meeting.

My first question is how much can I expect to pay if my Ins does not cover this?

What does "Fill" mean? I have read this is a 2 hour process and will be home same day?

Will I be able to eat regular foods again like salad Pasta ect?

Looking forward to learning all I can here.

Hope everyone here is doing well on there plan.

Well I haven't been banded yet either but I know this is a good site for support. read all the old posts . Lots of good info in them. I will let some of the other experienced bandsters answer your questions . Welcome and glad you joined us.

Welcome! It's very smart of you to do alot of research up front. The band is a very simple design, but a very complex thing to live with. there is much to learn. Please feel free to read all the sections here on LBT and you can also see the manufacturers information here at this link. http://www.inamed.com/products/obesity/us/patient/lapband/prodinfo.html

http://bigolalaskan.com/lapband/fills.htm

http://www.fitday.com/WebFit/Index.html

http://www.weighless4life.com/hub.cfm/gastric-band this one has videos

http://www.gisurgery.net/OverviewObesityBariatricSurgery.pdf

http://www.obesitylapbandsurgery.com/tectec.html

Good luck on your search for better health! We have some Chicago Bandsters on here. Zoe comes to mind, but I think she was banded in Mexico. However she might be able to give you some local info. Really, just research everything you can get your hands on BEFORE you do anything.

Guest chena_cita

Hello Chicagoboy~

I'm new to this site also. I'm also looking into possibly getting banded. And like you I am searching the Chicagoland area for a reputable DR. and what not. So good luck to you and if I find anything out I'll let you know.

I had my first visit with my primary DR. and she thinks I qualify for the procedure. I'm trying to dig around online for local clinics.

wb if you like.

~chena_cita

Hello Jim and Chena

I live in the Chicago area and was banded on Jan 3 of 2005. I had my procedure done at Swedish Covenant Hospital by Dr. Raspante. The hospital has an entire staff just for weight loss surgery including the doctors, nursing staff, dietician and psychologists. The director of the program, Ada Gurerra, is also banded and has been very successful in taking the excess weight off. The entire staff is very warm, caring and understanding.

As far as insurance goes, I'm not sure what steps need to be taken in order to use BCBS as I have United Health Care. After having my evaluation, my doctor submitted the letter to my insurance co., and I was soon accepted.

There is a lot on info on this site. Just do some browsing.

GOOD LUCK to you and WELCOME!!

A fill takes my doc 5 minutes. You go in lay on your back, they numb the port area and stick a needle in to fill up your band. It doesn't hurt at all. You have to wait 30 minutes afterwards sipping Water in the waiting room to make sure there are no problems. Everyone is different when it comes to food. My only issues so far have been pecans and tortillas that hurt going down. Everyone I talk to has different issues or different things. One major thing I am still working on getting used to is not drinking with my meals. You cannot drink with your meals or one hour after or you will not stay full since the drink will wash your food down. Again, every doctor is different.

You possibly could drink while eating... but it would decrease the effectiveness of your band. I have found that drinking with a meal it will either come back up or wash the food out of my pouch and make room for more.

I know this sounds strange but I after a year or so how much food can you eat?

I'm hearing 1 cup of food per day. If I do well with my band and lose the weight I need do I have to get fills?

Guest punky247

Hi Jim

I was orginally going to be banded in Chicago by Dr. Horgan at the Lapband Center 900 North Michigan in the Bloomingdale building, it is a surgery center, and the cost is $15.000. We ended up doing it at UIC only because of a previous surgery I had on my liver, so for precautions we did it there and it ended up being $20,000 for me. But it was the same doctor, he does them at the surgery center, and the hospital. It is a great facility and wonderful team! I love my band. It was worth every penny, not to mention a new life, and a healthy life ahead. I also have Blue Cross, and no luck with coverage I tried for a year and half. Good Luck!

Santiago Horgan is one of the most reputable and experienced LapBand surgeons in the country. From what I hear, his skills are wonderful...and his bedside manner could use some work...but if you have to choose...

He repairs mistakes made by less experienced and less proficient surgeons. He is not the ONLY good doctor in town, but he is "the man."