Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

"Let's get physical..."

I have a brand new pair of roller skates that have been sitting in my closet for a year and a half. I was so excited to get them, but felt too ashamed to be seen wearing them. It's one of those vicious cycle things. You know, feeling too ashamed to be seen in public taking part in some sort of physical activity, so you sit on your butt and do nothing as the cellulite continues to adhere to its brethren on your thighs...

That being said, I am so looking forward to wearing my skates with pride. What about you? What physical activity are you looking forward to once you are healed from surgery?

DH and I have a goal this winter to learn to snowboard. I think it should provide good entertainment to anybody watching - that's for sure.

I also plan to get into the Couch to 5k program. Oh! And biking! I bought a really nice bike this past summer and only rode it a couple of times. I want to get into that, too!

I'd like to start riding my bike again. I didn't actually stop because of how I looked but how difficult it is to bike in the hilly area where I live. I have an electric bike to help with the hills but it has had plenty of technical problems so I'd love to be able to ride my regular bike and weighing less would surely help!

Definitely roller blading! And biking. I'd also like to run a marathon someday - something that can now be a definite possibility. There's an outdoor group around here that I'd love to join but of course not at this weight.

Linda

My husband and I joined a health club the end of August and I have been walking laps in the lazy river there and also doing Water Aerobics classes. I developed an allergy three weeks ago to the chlorine and I was banned from the pool til after my surgery.

I am so anxious to get back in the Water. I will do lots of walking as my excersie of choice. But I love doing it in the water it is like weightlessness until you get out of the water....LOL

When do your doctors say you can start exercising? I'm not planning on doing anything soon, because even driving still hurts when I go over bumps.

Linda

My doctor said four weeks. And I'm not to lift anything heavier than five pounds before then, either. I'll probably start off with my recumbent bike or elliptical and wait before I add weights. I don't have a lot of time in my schedule until after this semester ends anyway.

Really? My exercise of choice has been Water aerobics and my doc said I have to stay away from that for at least 2 months - which SUCKS! I'd love to get a bicycle too. I was looking at them last night with the thought of buying one for my son for Christmas and that's when I realized how much I'd love to have one for myself too.

My doctor also said to wait 4 weeks so after that I am joining Curves. There is one about 5 minutes from my work so I will be doing my work out at lunch. I am looking forward to it!!! Also, we have planned a vacation in October to take our daughter to Disney World. It is going to feel great feeling better about myself and being in better shape for our trip!!

Nessa, we're going to Disney World in Feb and I actually can't wait because I'll be so much lighter. It's the first trip in a long time that I haven't been leery due to the weight.

Linda

My doctor said four weeks. And I'm not to lift anything heavier than five pounds before then, either. I'll probably start off with my recumbent bike or elliptical and wait before I add weights. I don't have a lot of time in my schedule until after this semester ends anyway.

Yikes. I wonder if that includes my ass. If so, I'm going to be in trouble. LOL

I love to walk my dog. Jogging or running on the other hand, they have been out of the question becasue I get out of breath after 1-2 minutes. So I'd like to be able to run for my entire workout someday.

Yeah... I remember running. LOL! I believe it was nineteen eighty "something", the last time I was able to do that kind of activity. I was actually a really good athlete and dancer when I was younger. I would love to be able to do those things again and will!! Especially the running - with my little boy at the park.

When do your doctors say you can start exercising? I'm not planning on doing anything soon, because even driving still hurts when I go over bumps.

Linda

My DR allows return to exercise one week after surgery to include only walking, and he means walking.....he wants me up and moving. But no lifting or anything strenuious.