Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Recovery Stories :)

That's smart... that's what they did at the hospital in the 2 nights I was there... probably wouldn't have survived otherwise. Haven't needed the pain meds since Day 3... I've been pretty lucky I think. Good luck! :whoo::whoo:

Ho you doing? since we had a surgery on the same day..seems like I lost only 4 pounds since surgery...but I am well and I am working - besides my nothly issue...just came and make me sick again....

Hi Everyone: I was banded yesterday (11/6). Went in at 5 a.m. and into pre-op at about 6. Don't remember when I got back to my room but my fiance said the Dr told him the actual procedure took about 20 minutes...AMAZING to me. I am pretty sore on my left side, I feel like I am going to pull something out when I try to sit or stand. Once I am in a position, I feel better. I haven't ventured to anything but liquid Protein (punch flavor) in my juice, Water and broth. Haven't been nauseated except right after surgery. A little shoulder pain but it's working out. I notice I gained 5 lbs, had to laugh about that. I am sure the fluids in the IV's have not moved out yet. Hungery is manageable for now but the future scares me. I wanted the surgery to remove my desire to eat but that's probably asking a lot for $15,000 (and a bit unrealistic, but it sounded cute!) I appreciate reading everyone's stories, I don't feel so alone. Thanks to everyone.

Penny

Penny, no worries will be great! I am week after surgery and I am off my surgery weight and loose 4 pounds! it feel great see falling them down and belive me every second of pain is worth to see yourself standing on droping pounds scale! hold on there will be ok.:P

Ho you doing? since we had a surgery on the same day..seems like I lost only 4 pounds since surgery...but I am well and I am working - besides my nothly issue...just came and make me sick again....

Hi Edeva, I'm really good... can't believe how quickly I recovered. I was working 4 days later... probably could have had the week off though, cause am still tired. I've lost 5 kilos (11 lbs) since surgery. Happy with that but then again I didn't do a pre-op diet so it came off much easier. Sorry about your monthly's... I'm past that stage in my life but of course that brings with it other issues!! :P

I love watching you guys lose weight! I'm so excited for next Thursday!

I had my one-week pre-op today. I'm doing fine except for a bit of redness around my port incision. I'm to keep an eye on it for signs of infection and if that happens, I'll take antibiotics.

While I've lost weight, I'm not getting too excited about it because I know this can fluctuate over the next few weeks and even months until I get restriction. But it's encouraging because I haven't been able to lose weight the last few times I tried and certainly not 6.5 pounds in ten days.

I am post op day 5 and still have pain in my left shoulder and gas like crazy. I have tried everything to get rid of it but to no avail. I am chewing Mylanta tabs, walking and moving around but it just won't go. The upper portion of my stomach is what hurts the most and I had to take my pain meds this morning for it. I was so damn mad because I was hoping to just use Tylenol. I haven't been able to really sleep in my bed yet. I have been sleeping in the recliner but this morning, I did go up and sleep in bed for a few hours and felt awful when I got up but I really want to sleep in my bed. So I am going to take my pain meds and sleep in my bed tonight. I can't do to much yet because I have no energy but each day I do feel much better than the day before. I felt much more hungry today than I have the last few.

I am post op day 5 and still have pain in my left shoulder and gas like crazy. I have tried everything to get rid of it but to no avail. I am chewing Mylanta tabs, walking and moving around but it just won't go. The upper portion of my stomach is what hurts the most and I had to take my pain meds this morning for it. I was so damn mad because I was hoping to just use Tylenol. I haven't been able to really sleep in my bed yet. I have been sleeping in the recliner but this morning, I did go up and sleep in bed for a few hours and felt awful when I got up but I really want to sleep in my bed. So I am going to take my pain meds and sleep in my bed tonight. I can't do to much yet because I have no energy but each day I do feel much better than the day before. I felt much more hungry today than I have the last few.

hollyberries: Do you have a body pillow? I found that I could get comfortable in my bed by tucking one end of the pillow below my belly and the other end between my knees. I sleep hugging the pillow. You can also do this with two regular pillows.

Don't be hard on yourself for having to use the stronger meds. That's what they're for! Just keep resting and taking care of yourself. You'll be amazed that once you turn the corner to feeling better, it goes more quickly than you expect.

Take care! :hug:

At my one week post-op visit yesterday, my doctor noticed that my port incision was a little red. He told me to keep an eye on it and call him if the redness spreads. Well, I noticed today that it had spread and called him and he called in a prescription for antibiotics to my pharmacy. My husband and I decided to wait until the Longhorn game was over (Hook 'em, Horns!) before we went to pick up the prescription. The nearest pharmacy is about 15 minutes away. Well, I called before we left to make sure it was ready and they were closed! It was about 6:10 and they close at 6 p.m. on Saturdays! :P

I was hoping to get started on them tonight to make sure I'm in good shape to go to work on Monday. I guess if I can get them in the morning, I'll be on them for 24 hours so I should be okay. I don't have a fever but it's sore.

It's 3 days out for me. The pain is much more managable and I can get up and down from bed/chairs with minimal moaning and groaning! I've had vicious bloating and gas. I've been walking around but that didn't seem to help much. Earlier today, I felt well enough that I had my son take me to the store. When we got home, I walked around even more in the neighborhood. Low and behold, it was like the energy fairy laid her wand on me! This evening I feel so good! I even, here's the gross part:heh:, had my first post surgical BM!! Talk about feeling good. The bloating is all the way down now!! I'm having trouble getting all my liquids in. The day of, and the day after, surgery, liquids were going down with no problem. Now I find myself getting very full, quickly, and have had to back way off so I don't get sick. My plan is back to work on Tuesday. I'm pretty sure I'll be going if I keep feeling this good. I hope everything is going well for all the Novembers who have been banded already.

Thanks for the suggestion Longhorn. I chose to sleep in my bed last night and took pain meds before bedtime. I was a bit uncomfortable at first but settled into a better position. The only time woke up was when I had to turn but I just did it gingerly. I cannot tell you how much better I feel this morning. Just sleeping in my bed made a world of difference. The gas is not as bad today...still there but working its way out. The shoulder feels a bit better as well. I actually cleaned up after the family this morning so I must feel better. I definately don't have my energy level back and that is hard for me because I am a go go person all the time. I have to be to own my own business, homeschool my children, take them to all their activities and keep up with a family of 5.

My kids and DH have been wonderful. The boys are 14, 13 & 10 and have cooked dinner most nights and helped me by getting anything I needed. Although, they cannot wait until I cook them dinner again, they miss my cooking.

I was sorry to hear about your incision issues but glad that your Doc called in the antibiotics for you. I am sorry that you did not get there in time but understand your fascination with finishing the football game first. You are talking to a die hard BC and Patriots fan. I am in a BC depression right now not sure what is up with them but am in a Patriots high with my Mighty Mighty Pats.

Have a good last day and rest up for tomorrow. You will be tired when you come home so expect it.

Best Wishes,

Hollyberries

Yes, turning over in bed isn't a lot of fun! I asked my husband to sleep in the spare bedroom the first couple of nights so that I didn't have to worry about disturbing him. It doesn't hurt as much now but I still hug the pillow to my belly while I turn.

I took the prescription painkiller again last night. I think I have only one dose left but my shoulder and port incision also don't hurt as much. When we pick up the antibiotics, I'm going to get some Tylenol PM. A good night's sleep is so important!

I'm fortunate that my children are all grown and my husband did most of the cooking, when we cooked at all. We both have schedules that keep us away from home in the evening so we haven't had "normal" dinners for a long time. Maybe this is something we can change as I learn to eat again. ;)

I'm glad you're back in your bed and feeling better! Each day will be better from now on. :clap2:

Has anyone heard from Andie? She had surgery same days as me and I wanted to know how she is doing? I haven't seen any posts from her yet?

Longhorn sorry to hear about your incision I hope you get the antibiotics and it helps.

I feel very lucky that I don't have any of the gas issues.....yet! I have been able to pass it by belching and farting:) Thank god those never felt so goos as they do now. I just want my tummy to go down it seems swollen....to me:)

Kristin,

I am so glad you don't have the gas issues. I hope I am that lucky. We haven't heard from Andie yet. I hope you continue to improve and don't get any gas pains.

Well, it turns out that the co-pay on the antibiotic is $98!!! I refuse to pay it! My incision actually looks better today than it did yesterday so I'm going to wait until tomorrow and call my doctor. If we still feel like I need the antibiotic, I think he can find something less expensive.

They had a report on our local news the other night that there is a HUGE difference in prices from one pharmacy to another and the chains, like Walgreens, are the worst. Their spokesperson said they provide superior service, such as being open 24 hours. They featured one pharmacy in town that won't take insurance but their prices are very low. I'll get it from them if I have to!