Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm nervous - surgery December 5.

I just received my surgery date - December 5th. I am excited but nervous. It helps so much to read about other's experiences. I'm scheduled for pre-op November 21 in the morning then classes with nutritionists that afternoon. What all will pre-op consist of? Reading the success stories of others on this borad is very encouraging. My doctor is David Elliott in Richmond, Virginia. Any other Dr Elliott patients? I'm not excited about the liquid diet, which I have to endure for two whole weeks! :confused:

Hi!

What a great Christmas gift to give yourself! I was banded almost a year ago!

If I remember correctly, they took my vital signs, drew blood, etc. It was just routine testing to make sure I was healthy enough for surgery.

I hope all goes well for you!

Hi! I went to Mexico and that is a different deal so i can`t advise about pre-op but welcome to the site and congrats on your date. Donna

I was banded November 1. Here's the sequence of appointments that I went through:

1. Initial consultation with surgeon. They took my weight, blood pressure, and temperature. I had downloaded and filled out some forms in advance about my health and weightloss history. I met with the surgeon who explained the surgery and answered all my questions. I had already been approved for credit. I made the appointment for surgery for 13 days later.

2. Meeting with nutritionist. She went over the pre-op and post-op diet.

3. Meeting with psychologist. I filled out a brief form rating my level of depression and self-esteem. We discussed my weightloss history, feelings about myself, family support, etc. It was a very uplifting meeting.

4. Appointment with my GP. He had no affiliation with the surgeon but because I had the tests done in his office, I saved some money. He examined me and recommended me for surgery. I also had an EKG, chest X-ray, and pulmonary function test. The nurse drew blood that was sent off to the lab for a bunch of tests. My doctor had also faxed the results of tests I had this summer which saved me money in not having to repeat them.

5. Pre-op meeting at the hospital. This was just a meeting to take care of the admissions paperwork. I brought a printed list of the supplements I take which saved a little time. The technician took my blood pressure, pulse, and temperature and asked questions regarding my medical history.

6. Pre-op visit with the surgeon two days before surgery. His assistant weighed me, took my blood pressure, pulse, and temperature. She had me stand on a special scale to measure my fat percentage and I did a metabolism test where I breathed through a tube for about ten minutes to measure my daily calorie requirements. She said this was to get a baseline measurement so that if I reach a plateau, they have something to compare. I showed 50 percent of my weight is fat and we want to get it down to 25 percent. My metabolism showed 2600 calories per day, which makes me wonder why I couldn't lose weight when I cut it to 1600 a day -- I guess we'll see! I then met with the surgeon who examined me and decided where he was going to put my port so that it doesn't bother me when I bend over.

Some people do all of this on one day and some appointments are spread out, like mine were. I'll go in one-week post-op to visit the surgeon again.

Everything has gone like clockwork. Good luck!

Thanks to all that responded, I really appreciate the support and look forward to being of assistance to new beginners once I am out of that stage.

Longhorn, did you do a two week liquid diet and what do your meals consist of now? I know I will learn a lot about this from the nutritionist, but it is especially interesting to me to hear it from people actually experiencing this. Thanks in advance!

My pre-op diet was a low-carb, high Protein diet. However, I have a relatively low BMI and my surgeon said he wasn't worried about my liver being too big. I believe he does require a liquid diet for those with higher BMIs.

His post-op diet is the most conservative I've seen on this board!

First two weeks: Clear Liquids (including skim milk and Protein Shakes made with skim milk)

Next four weeks: Full liquids/pureed foods (foods that could fit through a straw but no fruit juice)

Until 5 months post-op: Soft foods.

5 months post-op: Normal food.< /p>

Most people are eating soft food and then normal food much sooner than this. I plan to ask him more about this when I meet him on Friday. I don't know if this schedule depends on how I'm doing or why it is so strict compared to others.