Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Okay, here's the thing...

I eat a small amount of enjoyable food, say chocolate, after a meal as a treat, staying well within my daily calories as this band is supposed to allow you, but I still feel horrendously guilty because the full feeling I have now is exactly the same as the feeling I used to get after a binge of epic proportions.

How do I overcome this guilt and begin to realise that I am now eating like a normal person. On previous diets the hunger came with euphoric feelings of self-congratulation and was guiltless.

How can I get to the place where I can accept fullness without guilt?

Do you know what I mean?

My problem is not accepting the FULLNESS, it's accepting that I can actually HAVE a forbidden food item like a NORMAL HUMAN BEING and know in my heart that it is not the end of the world. My Mom and I went out to eat (like we do whenever I see her). We both had a stuffed baked potato, and that was our entire meal. At the end she winked at me and said "Do you want to split a dessert?" I couldn't believe she said that. My mother has spent the last 50 years grabbing food out of my mouth (bless her) and she SUGGESTS a dessert? Well, not only that, we picked the double chocolate whammy brownie with ice cream and drizzle...yadda yadda yadda. And we split it. And it was wonderful! But you know what...when I was done...it was done. It was over. I didn't feel guilty because I'd only had about three bites...it was enough, and yet I felt like I had committed a crime, but I also know I hadn't broken too many laws by doing it because I adjusted the rest of my day accordingly, I logged my meal and extras and I still was within my goal caloric intake. That's the thing that the band lets us do now...we CAN adjust....we CAN modify. It's not (for me at least) like getting a taste of something and suddenly I have to have it now, all of it, and more more more. I think back on the dessert and I think if we go out today to eat she very well could offer to get the dessert again...well, it's my birthday and I may or may not take her up on it. It's kindof like I really could take it or leave it. There really is something to not considering anything forbidden. Forbidden fruits are SOOOOOO tempting.

I am having a real hard time allowing myself to have any kind sweets. I am so afraid of having a binge. I am doing pretty good though. Donna

Thats something I am working on myself, more so that I am scared of getting the full feeling, as it is still associated with hunger= weightloss!

I did have some really dark chocolate the other night, just 2 pieces, and it was a mix of congratulations that I walked away from the rest, and terror that it would kick off a binge! I think the terror won!!

I dont know the answer, I think that when I get to goal I will be more comfortable, right now I just want to get the weight off and I cant mentally get away from the whole diet thing!

Nina x