Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Do you tell people you've had VSG

I told people, anyone that thinks it's easy clearly doesn't know what they are talking about LOL.
I told people because I knew I was going to be dealing with eating changes, time out of work, drastic weight loss... all of those things will cause questions. So rather than let people make up stuff, I've been open about the whole ordeal, this way I can control the story.

I have not told people about my surgery (my husband and two daughters know). My sister doesn't know and I didn't tell my mother either (she has since died).

When people ask how I have lost the weight, I tell them the truth:

I eat a very high Protein diet and have cut out refined sugars and most carbs

I monitor my portion size and log every bite I eat in MFP

I exercise - a lot - I fence 5 hours a week and I'm in the gym another 3-5 depending on the week.

I eat about 1200 calories a day, a bit more on heavy work out days.

It is hard work. It is worth it.

I don't discuss my medical issues with people, generally, unless they are obvious (e.g. on crutches or wearing a cast) where you can't avoid the how did you do that.

I only told people I felt comfortable confiding in, and ones that would support my decision. Sometimes that is a gamble, so keep that in mind. In my opinion do not tell co-workers or your bosses, it is a personal medical matter and deserves respect and not judgements. You don't need to be upset by gossip, unfavorable opinions while you are navigating surgery and all the changes you will encounter. Good luck.

I'm only sharing with my immediate family. I decided a long time ago to not feel obligated to do anything. That includes sharing personal information just because the lack of information might make someone else feel uncomfortable. This journey is about me and I'm keeping it that way. :)

Seven and a half years after surgery and only my doctors know. It's no one else's business.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Trending Products

• Trending Topics

• Recent Status Updates

• BetterLeah

Woohoo! I have 7 more days till surgery, So far I am already down a total of 20lbs since I started this journey. 
      · 1 reply
      1. NeonRaven8919

Well done! I'm 9 days away from surgery! Keep us updated!

• Ladiva04

Hello,
      I had my surgery on the 25th of June of this year. Starting off at 117 kilos.😒
      · 1 reply
      1. NeonRaven8919

Congrats on the surgery!

• Sandra Austin Tx

I’m 6 days post op as of today. I had the gastric bypass 
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
    • RacMag  »  bhogue925

Hi, I’m new here. I’m currently on the liver shrinking diet. So far so good, but I have to say I haven’t found a protein shake I like. Anyone have any suggestions please? My surgery date is September 17th. 
      · 2 replies
      1. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife Core are by far the best. They taste just as they are - chocolate milk. You can either get the 26 grams or the 42 grams (harder to find and more expensive). For straight protein look at Bulksuppliments.com ..they have really good whey proteins and offer auto ship plus they test for purity. No taste or smell...

2. BlondePatriotInCDA

Fairlife has strawberry, vanilla and of course chocolate. No more calories than other protein drinks. Stay away from Premiere, they're dealing with lawsuits due to not being honest about protein content.

• Doctor-Links

HGH For Sale
      hgh for sale at our online pharmacy

Human growth hormone (HGH) is a small protein which is made in part of the brain called the pituitary gland. It travels in your bloodstream all over your body to make your body grow.
      HGH is very important in the body. It is needed for children to grow normally. It helps make sure there is enough muscle and fat in the body. It keeps our bones healthy.
      Buy Rybelsus online, Rybelsus tablets
      You can order for wegovy at our online pharmacy
      Check for the prices of 0.25mg, 0.5mg and 1mg at our online pharmacy and buy ozempic.
      · 0 replies
      1. This update has no replies.
  • Recent Topics

• Hot Products

Our Newsletter

Follow us for the latest news
    and special product offers!
  • Together, we have lost...
      lbs

PatchAid Vitamin Patches