Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Not filled yet, and very upset

I am 5 1/2 weeks post -op. I'm really hungry:hungry: and was told by my surgeon's nurse I would not be getting a fill at my 2 mo. out appointment. What???:omg: I have like no restriction. That I found out the hard way by trial and error with dry foods like crackers and corn chips. Those were tossed out because I know if I could eat those things, I could eat just about anything. I'm really scared of going back to the old habits do to not feeling the restriction!!! :cryThis is not all "mental" as this nurse portrayed. This is both mental and physical and I thought these were to go hand in hand:confused:?

Does anyone know what "undoing the band" means:confused:?

Thanks,

Justine

I was watching Dr. Phil. Sorry for the dalay!! I was told that as long as I was following the reccommended post op diet that the Dr. would not fill the band and that I was not supposed to request for the band to be filled. My research tells me otherwise! These answers were coming from his nurse, no less. Also She had said that tightening the band is not all it takes to lose the weight. Dah! Why would I be so upset if both my brain and the restriction of the band were working together? Ohh I'm so upset I could scream. :angry However, I know that if gets the best of me I will go on a Binge(what I've been working so hard not to do) I'll be up for another 45 min.

Justine

I was watching Dr. Phil. Sorry for the dalay!! I was told that as long as I was following the reccommended post op diet that the Dr. would not fill the band and that I was not supposed to request for the band to be filled. My research tells me otherwise! These answers were coming from his nurse, no less. Also She had said that tightening the band is not all it takes to lose the weight. Dah! Why would I be so upset if both my brain and the restriction of the band were working together? Ohh I'm so upset I could scream. :angry However, I know that if gets the best of me I will go on a Binge(what I've been working so hard not to do) I'll be up for another 45 min.

Justine

I think i would ask to talk to my doc first. Second this is something that should have been discussed or you should have known before hand ?

NOW keep in mind what your in right now IS Bandster Hell . Which is quite normal for the time period you are right after surgery . Have you thought IF you have to do this for another few weeks about going to counseling to help deal with food so you dont binge ?

I would also ask him what is going to happen after the first fill ? Is HE always going to decide when you get a fill ? You need to know that ??

Mindy

I had a fill at 3.5 weeks post op and will be going for my second fill at 7 weeks.

I would definitely talk to your surgeon. This IS why we have the band surgically implanted!

I had gotten this information already. The nurse was contradicting him. I am goign for counceling and finally found a support that meets 2x's a month, so I know I'm doing things right. the band works is a device that needs to be filled to reach optimum weight loss too!!! Not just the "mental discipline". The fills and the brain are supposed to work together, not one over the other as the nurce "implied".

Yes, you do need to talk to the doctor himself. If he is unwilling to help you in this situation you may need to check into going to somebody else for a fill. You do need to half self control but the band is a tool and it needs to be put to work (with a fill).

I had gotten this information already. The nurse was contradicting him. I am goign for counceling and finally found a support that meets 2x's a month, so I know I'm doing things right. the band works is a device that needs to be filled to reach optimum weight loss too!!! Not just the "mental discipline". The fills and the brain are supposed to work together, not one over the other as the nurce "implied".

If the nurse is saying something different than what he said then i would demand to talk to him , or you said you were going in to see him soon , i would speak to him AND tell him what the nurse is telling you . HECK I would call HER into the room with him and say " NOW what did you tell ME "

This is the kind of thing that makes people freak out for no reason especially if its not accurate info. Its his responsibility as a doctor to make sure his staff is giving out accurate info .

I would also make sure on his fill policy in general . Is HE going to dictate your fills souly or is he going to help you decide when its a good time to get a fill in conjunction with you ??

I really think this nurse doesnt know what she's talking about , and you need to speak to the doc, the nurse needs to be given the correct info !

Good luck , glad your going to support group meetings , Im trying to get one started locally myself..

Mindy

I had to respond to this post immediately. Okay, I was banded 9-21 and was in bandster hell about a week and a half later. I was so upset because I just knew this band was not working for me. I contacted the patient coordinator and she told me I would not be getting any fills soon and I needed to do my part in eating properly and that a fill would not dictate whether orn not I would lose weight. Geez! I thought, then why would I have this surgery in the first place. About a week later I ran in to my surgeons wife and explained what I was feeling which was lots of hunger and not the head hunger. I explained to her that my old habits had sometimes gotten the best of me. She said I needed a fill, so she talked to her husband and he promptly saw me. He asked a few questions like how much weight loss and how often I was eating and ehat type of hunger. He said it was time for a fill. I informed him I was 5.5 weeks post op and he said that's fine, its perfect timing. I got my first fill last week and I feel wonderful, back in control again. I suggest you talk to your surgeon or go to another one who will listen. I know how you feel. It will feel better after a fill.

Losingit .. .Any update ? have you talked to your surgeon ???

Mindy