Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

First plateau...

So, I was down 37 pounds last Thursday, had started lifting weights last Monday and have continued with weights 4-5 days a week and cardio six days a week. My body has been responding well, so when I weighed myself yesterday I expected a change...then nada. No gain and no loss. I weighed exactly what I weighed last week, and there was no change in the diet (1k-1.5k calories a day) from the previous two weeks. It's a little bit of a bummer, but I chalk it up to my body taking a break and possibly a couple of pounds of muscle gain. Time to keep on chugging along. I'm feeling a lot better, except my trainer killed my legs last night and I'm all wobbly today...I look like I'm a prisoner smuggling something when I walk. ;)

Do NOT get discouraged. Positive changes will come. It takes time. It sucks but true.

Keep working out hard, keep clean with your food and you will reap the benefits.

I spoke to my trainer about this very thing yesterday and his words of wisdon were ..... DITCH the scales for a short time, make the tape measure your best friend.

You will see the inches coming off even when the scales dont move, as muscle mass starts to increase, he also said to remember that muscle burns fat/calories so the more muscle you have the more you will burn even when you are alseep.

He reassured me that it is very common, especially if you like resistance training ( as I do) and that the tape measure never lies!

Nina x

So, I was down 37 pounds last Thursday, had started lifting weights last Monday and have continued with weights 4-5 days a week and cardio six days a week. My body has been responding well, so when I weighed myself yesterday I expected a change...then nada. No gain and no loss. I weighed exactly what I weighed last week, and there was no change in the diet (1k-1.5k calories a day) from the previous two weeks. It's a little bit of a bummer, but I chalk it up to my body taking a break and possibly a couple of pounds of muscle gain. Time to keep on chugging along. I'm feeling a lot better, except my trainer killed my legs last night and I'm all wobbly today...I look like I'm a prisoner smuggling something when I walk. ;)

You may want to drop your calories to 800-1k no more than 1200.

Really? My BMR burns at 2200 calories a day, and my exercise is another 500 a day, so theoretically I could eat 2700 calories a day and gain nothing. Even +- 20% would still put me above what I consume. I could not imagine eating less, except when I was on Clear liquids and getting 200 calories a day.

Breakfast: 2 egg whites, coffee (black) and small low-fat yogurt

Pre-lunch workout snack - 1 sugar free pudding

35 minutes of cardio during lunch 5 days a week and 1 hour on Saturday

Lunch - 1 Myoplex RTD Carb-Sense shake

Afternoon Snack - whey Protein shake

dinner - 1 medium can of tuna with 1 tsb of low-fat mayo and 1 spear of dill pickle

After dinner: 45 minutes of weight training 4-5 days a week

Snack - 1 sugar free popsicle

60oz of Water throughout the day.

This has stayed pretty constant for the last two weeks, as I don't care about eating solid food during the day. Once at night is good enough for me. Even cutting out the Snacks aren't enough calories to make a difference, and I'd definitely be weak for working out, if I did.

I should amend that to say the tape measure never lies...... unless you pull it really tight...ehem... not that I ever would.

LOL...kind of like laying on the bed to be able to "fit into jeans," and then just about passing out if you have to bend over for somethnig? ;)

have you been spying on me.....? I have been known in my youth to adopt the plyer approach to jeans. Not for the faint hearted.

Really? My BMR burns at 2200 calories a day, and my exercise is another 500 a day, so theoretically I could eat 2700 calories a day and gain nothing. Even +- 20% would still put me above what I consume. I could not imagine eating less, except when I was on Clear Liquids and getting 200 calories a day.

Breakfast: 2 egg whites, coffee (black) and small low-fat yogurt

Pre-lunch workout snack - 1 sugar free pudding

35 minutes of cardio during lunch 5 days a week and 1 hour on Saturday

Lunch - 1 Myoplex RTD Carb-Sense shake

Afternoon Snack - whey Protein shake

dinner - 1 medium can of tuna with 1 tsb of low-fat mayo and 1 spear of dill pickle

After dinner: 45 minutes of weight training 4-5 days a week

Snack - 1 sugar free popsicle

60oz of Water throughout the day.

This has stayed pretty constant for the last two weeks, as I don't care about eating solid food during the day. Once at night is good enough for me. Even cutting out the Snacks aren't enough calories to make a difference, and I'd definitely be weak for working out, if I did.

I don't think you are eating enought - you are a man correct??? I think you may need to increase your caloires a little every other day

day 1 1500 - day 2 1000 day3 1600 day 4 1200 son so forth

Yep, all man. I guess I wanted to stay as low in calories as my mind would allow, and keep the nutritional values. I don't want a tomorrow solution, but I want this weight off ASAP.

Yep, all man. I guess I wanted to stay as low in calories as my mind would allow, and keep the nutritional values. I don't want a tomorrow solution, but I want this weight off ASAP.

Well just cking cuz there are so many women here :) and glad to hear you are all man :)

But really, every other day increase your calories by 100

example M-1000 - T 1100 - W 1000 -T 1100 - just add healthy choice fudgecicle sf it 80 calories and really good - or some more yogurt or even a piece of fruit...

I think that may help and i have read & heard quite frequently lately it's not how long you exercise but the intenstity in which you exercise..

I am no where close to being a trainer - so i am just parroting what I have been reading and hearing on tv.

Good luck - I know that plateau is headed my way - but I eat as much as you do if not a tad more and I'm a girl - so i don't burn as many caloires as you do just by breathing...

I relate to wanting it off fast - I too am eager to get to goal as fast as possible - but remember we didn't get fat over nite - so it's not going to come off over nite

Again - Good luck - try it and let me know if it works :)

Well just cking cuz there are so many women here :) and glad to hear you are all man :)

But really, every other day increase your calories by 100

example M-1000 - T 1100 - W 1000 -T 1100 - just add healthy choice fudgecicle sf it 80 calories and really good - or some more yogurt or even a piece of fruit...

I've heard and read this a great deal too. It never worked for me but I seem to be the only one it did not work for.

Dr. Mike suggests making at least a 50% change in calories. Today 500 calories, tomorrow 1000 calories, the day after 800 calories, the day after that 1300 calories, etc.

Not sure if it makes a difference or not but just thought I'd throw it out there.

I also agree about the intensity of workouts, especially hard cardio. After time power walking didn't do anything for me and I started running. That made a difference.

I still hate running. :) But, I have to admit that it works.

I wouldnt drop calories. Your body will naturally go through plateaus over time and also when you do a lot of weight work or change something about your exercise you can retain a bit of Water until you adjust.

Stick at it, its consistency that counts. You are doing ALL the right things, and it WILL pay off. Weight means little, its your size changing that really matters and I bet that will continue.

It's physics, nothing magic about it. It will pass. I had plateaus that sat for a month or more. You've got to get over the mindset that plateau equals defeat. Its more of a "fall back and regroup" time for your body. That's why I weigh every day and chart it. I can tell within 24 hours when a plateau is going to break...it's funny...I go slightly up, slightly down, slightly up, and then all of a sudden I do this up down up down up down thing and then it starts to slide. I can see it on the chart when it begins. Get out of the mindset that you have to have LOSS every day. Sometimes I am up two tenths of a pound, sometimes down...it goes like that all week.