Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

112 grams of protein

My doctor told me to get 112 grams of Protein. They said this is calculated off my height and gender. (5'11" male)

How much Protein were others told to get? 112 seems like a TON... especially on pureed foods! I am drinking Protein drinks (27 grams each) and throwing Beneprotein powder in everything I can and still can't quite meet this every day. :S

I know it will be easier once I can eat solid food but man it's hard. My current personal reasonable goal is 90g/day since I can handle that.... barely.

Hello dust, when I had surgery I was told to have 40-60grams of Protein a day, because our body shouldn't ake more that that. It would take a elephant to work off 112 grams of protein. lol

I would call my doctor again to re-affirm that. I found a Protein Drink at GNC with 40 or 50 Proteins in it, but was advised to not drink it all at once. Well, I drank about 8 ozs of it this morning and I swear I had such a high, I could have cleaned every house in my town. I don't know if it was the drink or if I over did the amt of proteins. The students literally thought I was off my rocker. LOL

I was told 90 grams, as a 5'9" male. I routinely get 100+ grams by eating Muscle Milk Protein pudding (tastes great), drinking Myoplex Carb Sense RTD shakes, eating hard-boiled egg whites (just throw away the yolk), sometimes some GNC whey protein shakes(50 grams per 16 ounce serving), and now that I am on solids tuna is a GREAT way to incread protein. I've been a avid weightlifter and reader of magazines associated with fitness for years, and I have NEVER once read about too much protein or not being able to absorb too much protein at one sitting. I am curious enough though to go and look it up this weekend.

My nutritionist said that your body can only absorb about 30 grams of Protein at a time. So those GNC drinks (ISOPURE) referred above do have a lot of protein, but I also was told to not drink whole thing at once and expect to get all of that protein.

I don't like the Protein calculations. It's done on a percentage of weight and height but surely all our excess fat doesn't require huge amounts of Protein to sustain itself. There's no way I'd put 112g of protein/day in my body. It's so acidic and impossible to do unless you take it in concentrated, powdered, processed form.

Then again, it's not a good idea to disregard your doctor's instructions. Maybe do some reading and decide what you want to do. There is so much conflicting advice on the subject.

Requirements

Approximately 10-15% of total daily energy intake should be consumed as Protein. Protein needs

for sedentary adults average about 50 grams. Growth, pregnancy, lactation, and exercise

increase protein needs as indicated in the table below.

Protein Requirements

Infants (0-6 months) g/lb 1.0

Infants (6-12 months) g/lb 0.72

Children (1-3 years) g/lb 0.55

Children (4-6 years) g/lb 0.50

Children (7-10 years) g/lb 0.45

Adolescence (11-14 years)

total g/day females

total g/day males

Adolescence (15-18 years)

total g/day females

total g/day males

Young adults (19-24 years)

total g/day females

total g/day males

Pregnancy total g/day 60

Lactation total g/day 65

Sedentary Adult g/lb 0.4

Recreational Activity 0.5-0.75

Competitive Athletics g/lb 0.6-0.9

Muscle Building g/lb 0.7-0.9

Maximum Usable Amount

Adults g/lb 1.0

References:

· Mahan, L.K. and Escott-Stump, S. Krause's food, Nutrition &

Diet Therapy, 10th ed., 2000.

· Rosenbloom, Christine. Sports Nutrition. A Guide for Working

Professionals, 3rd ed., 2000.

I'm male 5'8" and my dr told me 70 grams a day. I thought that seemed like a lot, actually doing around 40 - 50.

DavidB, how do you get all of your Protein (40-60 gm)? I have the hardest time. I drink the Isopure (not the whole bottle), but I also read somewhere that the dr's really didn't want you drinking your calories, which I'm getting that with the protein.

DavidB, how do you get all of your Protein (40-60 gm)? I have the hardest time. I drink the Isopure (not the whole bottle), but I also read somewhere that the dr's really didn't want you drinking your calories, which I'm getting that with the Protein.< /div>

Since I can't have solid food yet I do have to drink any protein I'm getting. I'm using the Slim-Fast Low Carb Diet drink which has 20 g of protein and only 2 g of carb.

The doctor's dietician told our lap band group that we should aim for 70 grams a day for the next 2 years! She said that you really need about 50 but if the doctor said 50 than people would only get 30 and so on. I bought some "Protein water" special k20 that is pretty good but it is expensive, about $1.50 bottle. I do ok drinking the Protein in drinks but I can't stomach it added to Soups or Cereal. Blehh. Can't wait to get through this phase.

Anne

I'm getting around 70-80 minimum a day... sometimes 90. I'm feeling pretty healthy. My biggest problem is getting enough Water. I am just NEVER thirsty!

I have to keep reminding myself to drink even though I don't want to or else I will go all day and only get about 16 ounces of Water which isn't enough at all.

Hello dust, when I had surgery I was told to have 40-60grams of Protein a day, because our body shouldn't ake more that that. It would take a elephant to work off 112 grams of Protein. lol

I would call my doctor again to re-affirm that. I found a Protein Drink at GNC with 40 or 50 Proteins in it, but was advised to not drink it all at once. Well, I drank about 8 ozs of it this morning and I swear I had such a high, I could have cleaned every house in my town. I don't know if it was the drink or if I over did the amt of Proteins. The students literally thought I was off my rocker. LOL

Hello! I read your post and am curious, which protein drink did you buy that has 40 or 50 protein in it that gave you such a "high"??

I commend all of you for drinking so much protein. I was told 60g / day and I was banded a year ago, and haven't been doing it AT ALL. :phanvan Seriously. I tried the Isopure and it tasted like dishwashing liquid (to me). I bought the NuWhey test tube things lol and I only drank half of one.

My doc told me no to slim fast, but I tonight found out about the low carb 20g slim fast drink...and then read here that someone else drinks that. I love slim fast. I could easily get in my protein if I drank that..... don't yall think that would be better than none at all? (Granted, I get some protein in food, but not very much)

Thanks for any thoughts!