Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Band Rejection - Answer to Port Problems

Geeze, just when I think it's safe to post a picture, the thing springs a huge leak! Better luck next time! But the local surgeon said draining is a good thing... then again, he's the one that likes to hurt people.

Hi T!

Lisa, you have come along way..your incision looks great compared to what it looked like in October when I was in Vegas..It looks normal now YEAH!!!!

I am glad for you Delarla. I got mine fixed alittle over a week ago and it is STILL leaking like someone left the faucet dripping. It's really starting to annoy me I can't even imagine having it go on for months.

Melissa if it continues to leak please call your Dr. this is exactly how Lisa's started out with her tubing protruding then a continuous open wound that leaked.

Hey lisa

your wound looks like mine did at 4 weeks post op...the nurse that took out my stitches was a butcher and managed to pull the wound open a bit..( That was at 2 weeks post op)..The wound then got a lot worse and really got me worried for a while as it kept weeping and closing and then opening again...then all of a sudden i woke up one morning 3 days b4 my fill and the wound was clear of moisture and even the scab had gone...That was five weeks post op, so i am keeping my fingers crossed for ya that it heals in the end like mine did

love tracey

Hi Lisa,

This incision looks so much cleaner and neater than the last time. I am crossing my fingers for you!!

Babs in TX

334/185/170

Hi everyone, I think it's bad news... I think the new port is already showing signs of rejection. The wound is leaking a lot, and I feel a tad of an itch. Today is the first day I actually feel the port. I think I'll pay a local guy to fill me up till I can't breathe.

Melissa, has your doctor discussed "rejection" with you? My surgeon told me the Band doesn't want to be in my body - a small percentage of us will reject the band, and I happen to be one of them.

It's a viscious circle because I eat when I'm stressed, and the stress of this rejection is making me eat. I've gained back 4 pounds in a week. I can't even feel the fill I got two weeks ago, actually, I feel less restriction. I still have restriction during the day, but last night I ate so much ice cream and dumped chocolate sauce all over it, then topped it off with 2 tacos right at bedtime. Today I'm meeting the Vegas Bandsters for the first time (small group, but I need all the support I can get) and maybe tonight I'll start going to OA meetings again.

Frustrating, yep, but such is life. Thanks for all the kind words of encouragement, but I don't think my prognosis is good at this point.

This mild itch is weird - like my skin is allergic to the liquid. I only feel the itch when it leaks outside my skin. I'm allergic to myself.

I need fill advice - fast. I want to lose five pounds right this minute. I am really really tired of fighting lame-ass junk food. I put five pounds back on since surgery. Kuri said he gave me 1.8 cc, but Lopez only found 1cc in my band. Lopez gave me 1.7cc. But I swear, I had a tad more restriction before port replacement. Example, I've eaten Breakfast (real food) twice since port replacement/fill. I have never, ever eaten Breakfast cuz I was too restricted in the mornings so I just had Protein shakes. I just made an omlette and potatoes, granted I think I stuck within band portions, but why the heck am I suddenly eating breakfast? I need help, I'm freakin'. Lopez and Jaramillo were both there, and there was only 1cc in my band. Then how come I don't feel worlds different? Going from 1 to 1.7 should be a huge difference. I WANT SALINE. GIMME. I feel like a fill junkie cuz I had just a taste and I want more, more, more.

So, do you guys think I should spend money I don't have and get a local fill. It's only been 15 days since my fill. Help.

Lisa, I know you know your own body and you are certainly more experienced with this rejection thing than anyone should be, but I'm praying you are wrong this time. Sending healing thoughts your way.

Nancy

Clara, what if I'm wrong??????????? THAT THOUGHT NEVER CROSSED MY PEA-BRAIN. I could be wrong. I could be WRONG! I know I'm wrong, I know I'm wrong, I know I'm wrong. There is hope! Now gimme some saline, screw swallowing, I'd rather be thin.

I can't explain why you have more fill, but less restriction. But it is possible you are allergic to your own body fluids (in a weird way). Two weeks ago, I had some blood drawn. The tech was a sadist and since I told her I am a hard stick, she thought that perhaps stabbing me deeply with the needle would be a good technique. The result was a gigantic bruise. After about a week or so, red bumps and welts appeared over the bruise and it itches a lot. I asked one of the docs at work about it and she said that my body is probably allergic to the by-products of the blood being broken down. So I guess anything is possible.

nancy

Lisa, honey, damn you've been through the ringer. :( It's SO unfair. You're such a good person, you sure as hell don't deserve this crap. I hope that you're wrong and that it's just healing, but in the meantime it sounds like a good idea to take advantage of having the band for as long as you can have it.

As for the restriction, haven't I read that it can take awhile for them to kick in? Do you think you should maybe wait one more week, and see how things go? Not being a bandster -- and now it doesn't ever look like I'll BE a bandster *sniff* -- I could be talking out my rather abundant ass. But I'd hate to see you get really miserable with an overfill, you know?

Take care, chickie. We're all rootin' for you.