Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My first PB?

I ate something first thing in the morning I shouldn't have and I didn't chew well. Then came the pain in my chest and the pressure. I kept burping over and over again and then this thick salivia kept coming up and I had to spitting it up. It went like that for 20 minutes, burp, spit, burp, spit.

Was this a PB?

I thought that a PB involved the food coming back up too? Only lots of salivia came up for me.

Almost, but not quite. That sounds like a near miss. :)

If you don't know already, stick with liquids (pref warm) for the rest of the day. You'll be swollen from your episode and, how do you put it - at higher risk? - for subsequent blockages today.

Wow wheetsin, you are right.

I didn't read your post and just tried to eat some tuna fish for lunch. Two bites and OUCH!! I am in pain and sliming again.

Thanks for the advice, I didn't know.

Since you're on your second stick, definitely wam liquids (e.g. chicken broth) for the rest of the day, IF anything. I know that when I get stuck or PB, my appeteite is pretty much trashed for the rest of the day.

And if it were me, I'd probably do mushies tomorrow, just to be safe, since you're doubly agitated.

You were pretty much having a case of the Slimes, not PB. If it was a PB you'd have had that former bite of something come rolling back up to visit you. Many times the slimes precede a PB. Sometimes it passes, and sometimes it goes into a PB.

Let me tell you what a TRUE PB is - here is my first PB and most embarrassing incident - even though what I did to cover the PB up was wrong,,this is what happened, and yes, I do feel bad (I copied this from another thread I posted it to):

Well, now that its over, I think I can talk about it...so I'm going to share my first PB incident and just how embarrassing it is (for those weak at stomach, please stop reading now - happy.gif )

Okay, last Friday my mother in law, my sister in law and myself drove to a small little town to look for some upholsterey material for my antique chair (we were going to discount fabric store that we heard about). Anyhow, this town has this great little Amish restruant, so we decided we would eat lunch there. By this time, its about 12:45 in the afternoon. So, we go thru the buffet line, and I pile my plate high with food (just like I would pre-band) I don't want to just get a little to draw attention to me becaue neither of the family I am with no about the band...so I try and just act like I will eat it all, knowing I will leave a lot on the plate.

Anyhooo, So, I take my first bite of the roll, smothered in a little butter, and that was the biggest mistake...But instead of stopping, I think it will just pass like an idiot, I keep on eating, I have a bite of fish or two, then a little sip of tea (thinking this will help the stuck go away). By this time, my mother-in-law is looking at me and notices something is wrong, I keep telling her I just need to burp - and I keep eating - what an idiot i am....Anyhow, so finally, the food is lodged clear up to the back of my throat and it is coming out, one way or another, so I told them I had to go the bathroom.

Well, when I got to the bathroom, (it was just a single toilet room), someone was in there and there was a line...Finally, here comes the food, it shot out like a bullet over the wall. I was totally embarrassed, but so glad only these two old ladies who didn't know me saw and my family did not.

So, I think, okay, its over so I go back to the table and start picking and nibbling at my food again...oh boy, big big big mistake, here it comes again. I didn't want to look too obvious, but I told them I had to go back to the bathroom, I had "gas", I didn't know what else to say. So back to the bathroom I go, and the poor little waitress is cleaning up my mess - and once again, the bathroom is full, but the mens bathroom is open, so I run in there and I couldn't even make it to the toilet, so I had to hack in the sink...yuck. So, I ended up paying for my food and walking outside, where I PB'd again!!!

You would think it was over, but no, we head to the fabric store and I'm walking around looking for fabric and here it comes again, so I head to the bathroom and right when I'm almost there, I see the lady who works there go in...I tried people I really did, but I couldn't get to the bathroom and this food was coming up and out it came, right there on the floor. So what do I do?? I grab a remnant piece of material and wipe it up and then throw it back in the bin. No one saw, thank Gawd. After the last PB episode, I felt great releif.

Lesson learned - no bread, and quit eating when I feel something stuck...and when I go to the bathroom, make sure everything is UNSTUCK before coming out.

Well, there you have my first PB episode, and was it ever an episode

:help:Help! This happens to me almost every day. I am so frustrated. I definately can't eat any meat it always gets stuck (and I know I am low on protein.) Does this mean my band is too tight? I got my last fill about 3 weeks ago, 5.25 cc in a 10 cc band, the last fill was .25. Any ideas...suggestions...I have a call in to the Dr. but the program coordinator is out until tomorrow. Thanks in advance

tinnendarbydarb - Here are some of the questions I would ask you to see if you are too tight:

1) Have you examined your eating pattern? How big are your bites? If they are bandster size bites and you are still PBing, I would say yes, you might be too tight.

2) Are you eating too fast? If the answer is no, then yest your fill could be too tight.

3) Are you waking up in the midle of the night, choking because of acid reflux? If the answer is yes, then I wouls say you are too tight.

PBing on a daily basis is not what the band is supposed to do, it is not healthy to constantly PB, nor is it safe.

I hope this helps, and best wishes.

Sunshine2...Thank you for the info...I think I knew it all along, but just didn't want to realize it. I pretty much slime and not PB...I only do that once in a while, but the slime is no fun either. Thanks again....Cheryl

Well, now I know that that wasn't my first PB. Because I had my first PB yesterday!!!

It just ate a piece of chicken from a lean cuisine for lunch. The chicken was kind of dry, maybe I didn't chew it enough. Anyway, the pain started then the slime session. Burp, spit, burp spit...like I am foaming at the mouth. I thought it had passed and then without warning...BURP and vomit. all over my wood floor. I run to the sink and then my dog comes up and starts eating my vomit!!! I yell at her to stop and she does.

It was a lot more volume than I thought it would be and it was like "mushies" but I think that must be bc of all the slime.

It was totally painless when it came up thought. It was a relief!

My question is...is there anything you can do to speed up the process? When you need to PB and you are just waiting for it to come up, can you just make yourself PB?