Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Using Weight Watchers Point System

Hi, y'all. I got my third fill on Tuesday of this week and, while I can feel it a little, it's not restricting me enough for weight loss. One of the tools I've chosen to implement is the Weight Watchers Point System. I hope it will assist me somewhat in my portion choices. Anybody else using WW? My band does keep me from the all-out binges I used to indulge in, but I still need help getting food choices down to size. I've only lost 17 pounds in two months. Listen to me. Only. I am SO grateful for the loss of those 17 pounds; I'm just anxious to move on and I've been stuck here for weeks because I can't control portions. Anybody else? The Eating Disorder/OCD part of me loves to count and that's why I think the Weight Watchers Point Plan may relieve some of my anxieties.

Thanks. And bright blessings on you all, my fellow travelers!

I think that's an excellent idea. WW is such a healthy way of living. When I get to the stage where I can eat regular food. I plan to do ww. Sharon

Was using Weight Watchers a few years ago. Loved the point system. Used it for about 5 months.

Problem was, I saved all my points and ate BBQ chips and pepsi...oh, but I measured and stayed w/in the point system...didn't cheat.

I lost 3 pounds and after a few months realized it wasn't quite working for my food addiction.

But WW has been rated like the best paid diet plan to be on...good luck!

I just love the idea of keeping up with and counting intake. Makes me feel like I'm in control (which we all know I am NOT). I've already found some useful info: a bottle of Isopure with 40 grams of Protein is only 3 points. And it's so good for you! How far along the way are you, Sharon?

Grace, I hear you loud and clear on the food addiction. We're all suffering with it in some degree or another. Mine has been a monster since I was 13 or so. I've been in therapy, hospitalized, on drugs, and in therapy some more. It's all about handling the pain in a more constructive manner. Sounds so easy, doesn't it? But back to the subject at hand: the WW point system keeps me in line, but frees me from the calorie-counting. THAT used to just send me right over the edge. Because there was no way for me to do that perfectly and I want perfect. Yes, I know that's not healthy, but I don't care. Give me the illusion of perfect and I'll be okay. Which is why the point spread is helpful. I have more of a chance to feel successful and in control. And starting over is easier. Crazy enough for you?

Thanks, y'all. You guys are the best free therapists in the world!

OOOPs.....I didn't think my first post "took" I got banded on the 28th. Still gassy. I updated my ticker because now I've lost 10#. Long way to go. I should add that when doing ww it would be a good idea to concentrate on getting in 60mg protien before you let youself use up points on junk food.sharon

Good advice, Sharon. I am learning not to eat veggies or ANYTHING until I get that fish or chicken or whatever Protein in. So, you were banded just a few days ago? Congratulations, girl! We're on our way now! Are you still sipping broth or have you moved on to potato Soup and stuff like that? What Protein Shakes have you tried and which do you prefer? I'm using EAS - both powdered and pre-mixed. The pre-mixed packages are good for carrying around (23 g. protein). And, of course, my personal favorite: Isopure from GNC with no fat, no carbs, and no sugar. Just a lovely 40 g. of protein!

Good luck and yay!

Points is fantastic. It's mostly calorie counting with simplified math. But the focus is on well-balanced eating. WW has always been recognized as the best commercial weight loss program.

The last time I lost a lot of weight, it was with points. I use their online program, it's great. I just had issues that WW didn't fix (of course) that I'm hoping my band will make me face up to.

But for people who like control, accountability and structure it's great - and it does it but still leaves you fully flexible in what you choose to eat. It's brilliant.

If you're an OCD counter-type person - you'll love it. You get to assign points to food, to excerise - you get your bonus points. Then you get to balance it all out like an obsessive accountant. You get to check off your Water, your Vitamin, your healthy oils and your fruits and veg.

I really recommend the online tools - the recipe builder alone will keep you entertained for hours at a time.

Edit: I myself am recording my points again - even though I'm still on full fluids. There's something statifying about filling out the little form.

My surgeon said that once I get the band and well I should start now... I should limit carbs to 30 per day not including any that may be in my meat or non starchy veggies. I would prefer to do the points. I lost over 60 pounds in 2000 on WW... But since then I have gradually gained all of the pounds back PLUS about 25 more on top of that!!! I think with the band I could be and stay a WW success! I have to discuss it with my surgeon, maybe as maintenance. I know that they want us to eat Protein first to be sure we get in in and this keeps our metabolism up and gives us nutrition we need to avoid losing muscle... after we finish the Protein we are supposed to move to non starchy veggies... and maybe a little dairy. With 1 piece of fruit and 1 dairy that is really the 30 carbs already so on rare occasion we can have a special meal, but that is supposed to be like once a month or something...

~Kim