Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Can someone tell me (thin = bad rant)

Can someone tell me, why it is okay to say thin people look disgusting (examples I have seen used is Nicole Ritchie, Star Jones, The Olsen twins, Jen Aniston to name a few)

But call someone who is overweight disgusting based on their size, and -woah!

How is it different to call someone thin names based on their weight? People are people, no matter their size, and everyone has feelings that can be hurt by name calling.

If the people who calling thin people disgusting were at the same weight as the people they are calling names, would they still be calling them disgusting, skinny, or anorexic?

I guess I am just so sick of the attitude of thin = skinny = bad = sick.

Extremes in either direction are unattractive to the majority of society. Being extremely skinny makes people think you are sick, and being extremely fat makes people think you are slothy. I find them equally unattractive.

i geuss they are just concerned over someone slim due to health?but i have always thought jen aniston was gorgeous,but i do think they are to hard on celebraties/i would take it as a complimeant if someone said i was to skinny[due to haveing a weight problem.my husbands family are harsh to me about my weight,im ether to fat or to skinny,i have just had to learn you cant please every one in life,just be true to yourself.i would have thought it hurts more to have rude people make comments about you been fat than the other way around[maybe its because im still overweight?]:D

i would have thought it hurts more to have rude people make comments about you been fat than the other way around

It actually really DOES hurt to be called skinny. It hurts when people are nasty. Full stop.

I have been on both ends of it (having been called both fat and skinny) and they both hurt.

Extremes in either direction are unattractive to the majority of society. Being extremely skinny makes people think you are sick, and being extremely fat makes people think you are slothy. I find them equally unattractive.

I think thin looks sick to the majority of society because we are so used to seeing overweight people that thin now looks "too thin"

yeah,i belive your correct,name calling of any sort is very harmfull,do you think maybe because the obesity in the population is riseing/that it makes people look slimmer,who are not over weight[hope that makes sense]it also depends on your weight to your height e.g amazingly to my benifit,my weight carrys well over my body,people are surprised i can weigh as much as i do because i dont look as big?[that was when i was at my heaviest at 130 kgs]:D you should be very proud of yourself,i know i would be,and im glad to see your pics still up:oi know i say that you shouldnt let peoples nasty comments get to you,but i know they do and that they still hurt,shame on nasty people[and i know im not always the most polite person sometimes,espeialy when i get upset/cross ect.....]but,over the years i have had to put up with verbal abuse and i never stod up for myself so not to upset other people,but then you go away upset and insane,sorry,have had a few hard yrs]and getting of the subject.....sorry

I guess, I am seeing "That would be too thin / skinny / scrawny / whatever" at my height and anywhere up to 60lbs (60lbs!!) heavier than me so often around here, that it really is starting to piss me off.

It's like, indirectly, people are saying I am too thin. I mean, the Olsen twins were singled out in another thread as disgusting. I am about their weight and height. Am I disgusting? Because that is the message I am getting.

From a guy's perspective:

Too thin looks sick. What "too thin" means is usually in the eye of the beholder. I do know that I have seen women who are quite definitely too thin, and I'm certain they don't believe that. Women who look like 12 year old boys just don't look good, IMHO.

That said, I don't personally believe that 'skinny' is an insult, any more than 'fat' is. The word is just a descriptor -- you have to give it power to hurt you.

***Disclaimer*** What I say might be a little offensive, but please remember these are only my feelings and opinions...of how I see things!***

I don't see what's so horrible about being called thin or skinny, when for so long(and still) THIN/SKINNY is what's HOT to SOCIETY and anyone who isn't THIN/SKINNY is NASTY/LAZY/DISGUSTING! I think that if you are HAPPY with YOU, you can't care about what the hell someone else thinks. What they eat don't make you shit, so why care. It is all about being OKAY with who you are, FAT OR SKINNY! Getting upset over words is extremely sensitive. I am a FAT girl( know it, love it, and own it) I can honestly say that I never were teased for my weight, in fact I call my own self FAT. Mere words don't upset or offend me in the least, what pisses me off is when folks start the "Oh poor me crap about something that worked hard to achieve," you did it for YOU so OWN IT...nobody should be able to take that away from YOU!! That's why I think people came down so hard on Star Jones, she didn't own up to HER SHIT!!

mmmmmm.not sure how to reply to that one[not meaning to be hurtfull,but i did find with the olsen twins to appear boney.]but as long as your happy and there happy,people shouldnt interfear.

thanks,thought it may have been confuseing,great to hear a guys view point[thats important how they see women,arfter all,dont we all want to feel on top of the world[smile]:clap2::D:clap2:

***Disclaimer*** What I say might be a little offensive, but please remember these are only my feelings and opinions...of how I see things!***

I don't see what's so horrible about being called thin or skinny, when for so long(and still) THIN/SKINNY is what's HOT to SOCIETY and anyone who isn't THIN/SKINNY is NASTY/LAZY/DISGUSTING! I think that if you are HAPPY with YOU, you can't care about what the hell someone else thinks. What they eat don't make you shit, so why care. It is all about being OKAY with who you are, FAT OR SKINNY! Getting upset over words is extremely sensitive. I am a FAT girl( know it, love it, and own it) I can honestly say that I never were teased for my weight, in fact I call my own self FAT. Mere words don't upset or offend me in the least, what pisses me off is when folks start the "Oh poor me crap about something that worked hard to achieve," you did it for YOU so OWN IT...nobody should be able to take that away from YOU!! That's why I think people came down so hard on Star Jones, she didn't own up to HER SHIT!!

I agree.

There are times I have commented that someone looks horrible and I'm usually referring to someone such as a model that is 98lbs and 5'11" tall. They DO look horrible. When someone intentionally gets that small I question why they do that.

I don't see it as an insult for someone to refer to another as thin or skinny. That's what most strive to be. I also don't think anyone who refers to someone as skinny is thinking "anorexic" kind of skinny.