Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello all,

I have been lurking for a few weeks trying to get as much knowledge as possible. I am a new (1 year)Registered nurse, mother of 3, and have been married for 24 years.

I am now convinced that the lap band is for me, but my only option is Mexico because of finances. My mom and I are going to be doing this together so we will have support. I too have been in contact with a couple of these Dr.s from Mexico. I am leaning toward Lopez-Corvala, because Belite (the facilitator) really puts everything together for us, and seems to have really great credentials. But I haven't heard enough about him here on Lapbandtalk. I really would like to hear from some of his patients, so anyone out there who knows anything...please feel free to respond I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

I went to Dr Zapata in Mexico.He was wonderful. My cost was 8000 for everything, even airfare. Do a lot of research before you decide. Best of luck Donna PS It is a lot easier and faster going to Mexico.

I have talked to Belite a few times. I am happy with them. If I ever have any questions they step up to the plate and answer them, or get back to me right away with an answer. They too told me all about Dr Lopez. He sounds like a great doctor. He is on my top list but I haven't made a definete decision. Its a great price... can't beat 7250 for the Johnson & Johnson Band.

Hello all,

I have been lurking for a few weeks trying to get as much knowledge as possible. I am a new (1 year)Registered nurse, mother of 3, and have been married for 24 years.

I am now convinced that the lap band is for me, but my only option is Mexico because of finances. My mom and I are going to be doing this together so we will have support. I too have been in contact with a couple of these Dr.s from Mexico. I am leaning toward Lopez-Corvala, because Belite (the facilitator) really puts everything together for us, and seems to have really great credentials. But I haven't heard enough about him here on Lapbandtalk. I really would like to hear from some of his patients, so anyone out there who knows anything...please feel free to respond I would really appreciate it. Thanks so much.

Mexico is a great option for many people. It is very possible to have a quality and safe surgery.

Just be sure to do your research well. Please see my sig for a link for suggestions on how to do this.

You'll love banding! It's the best thing I have ever done. It's a lot of work but the thing is, traditional diet and exercise were things I just couldn't do. It was too hard. While banding is hard, very hard, it's the KIND of hard WE can do, our population.

Congrats on making the decision to be banded!!

No I haven't been banded yet. We are both in the same boat. I am trying to get as much info and research done as possible. I want to make a good solid choice and not turn back. I hear a lot about a lot of different doctors in Mexico. Some I listen to and others I don't. Sometimes you can read between the lines and see that someone has a grudge against a particular doctor. Then other times I read ligitiamate causes to stay away. I guess you are I should feed off of each other and learn who and who not. Have you decided on anyone yet?

There is a thread for Lap-Band Surgery FAQs and References located HERE. LOTS of great info is HERE (same link). Go here too...

things it covers:

what is a PB?

what does DH mean?

what do you suggest I buy before surgery?

I have a consult tomorrow, what do I need to ask the doctor?

how do I get a ticker?

what is a fill?

I had surgery 3 days ago and am very hungry, can I eat _____ (anything other than liquids)? (short answer - not unless your doctor said you could - more than likely not)

welcome to LBT!

This is thanks to justlosingme !!!!

Hello everyone, this is my first time posting in this forum. I am really enjoying reading all the questions and responces. I am very interested in having the lapband done. I have already checked with my insurance and they will pay for the surgery if my bmi is over 40 or have other complications. Which I have really high cholestrol and my bmi is 42. I do not have to many problems but I feel that I am getting at the age that stuff is going to start going south if I don't get my bmi down. I am 4'11 and weigh 212 pds. I have tried all types of weight loss programs and have been successful. But since my last pregancy when I delivered almost a 10pd baby, I have been unsuccessful with losing weight. :cry I even went to a gym and had a personal trainer work with me and I worked intencely four days a week and dieted and did not loose a 5 pds in the 4 months that I did it. :think

I thought it was time to visit with my doctor and talk about my options. When I went to my doctor to talk about having the lapband done she was not supportive at all. I have been with my doctor for several years and I was really shocked by it. She is not a fan of the lapband. She said that this hasn't been around long enough to know what the long term effects it can have on the body and my organs. And that I am not trying hard enough to loose weight. Of course she is skinny and has never battled being heavy in her entire life.

I have read a couple of posting of people having the band and then having complication and then having it put back on again. Does anyone know the longest that a person has had this procedures done? Most of the postings that I read are individuals that have it done for about 5 years or less.

Good luck with everything. I am new also.

(GASP!!!)

You are an RPh? Ohhhh my! We can use you! ;)

Seriously, there are tons of questions about which drugs can be crushed vs. which can't.

I'm thrilled you are here!

Good luck with everything. I am new also.

Okay, I'm not done!

There are a gazillion questions about which drugs can cause pouch harm and which are okay. Which supplements can dissolve in a pouch and which can't.

Oh my goodness, I'm thrilled you are here.

Don't you dare leave us! I won't have it! ;):);)

While I have your attention (even though you are new here and may never see this thread again).... Is Venom (supplement) okay to dissolve in a pouch? The capsules are HUGE, the capsule itself is easy to dissolve in a pouch. But is it safe?

Ohhhh, I have questions! ;)

I don't suggest taking that venom supplement at all. It is a typical diet pill. We had our lapbands placed so we don't have to take fad diet pills. Those pills could cause an increase in your pulse and blood pressure and are not approved by the food and Drug Administration.